British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Change of address notifications? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/change-address-notifications-593082/)

Chrissywissy100 Feb 22nd 2009 1:40 am

Change of address notifications?

It just occured to me that maybe i need to notify someone that I have moved adress since my SSN was issued to me. The SSA website says I dont notify them since i dont get benefits or have any outstanding claims etc, but suggested that the IRS might want to know.

The IRS website FAQ's suggests they arent that bothered unless I am filing my taxes individually from hubby, or have claims outstanding etc. Since I have not worked this last year, we are filing jointly. (as we probably would if I had been working anyway)

So do I need to notify the IRS or anyone else of my address or not? :blink:

Ta everso!

Jerseygirl Feb 22nd 2009 3:16 am

Re: Change of address notifications?

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100 (Post 7309195)
It just occured to me that maybe i need to notify someone that I have moved adress since my SSN was issued to me. The SSA website says I dont notify them since i dont get benefits or have any outstanding claims etc, but suggested that the IRS might want to know.

The IRS website FAQ's suggests they arent that bothered unless I am filing my taxes individually from hubby, or have claims outstanding etc. Since I have not worked this last year, we are filing jointly. (as we probably would if I had been working anyway)

So do I need to notify the IRS or anyone else of my address or not? :blink:

Ta everso!

Are you a USC? If not you take a look at this:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Also you must inform the Dept of Homeland Security...don't know if this is included in the above or whether you need to do it separately.

Chrissywissy100 Feb 22nd 2009 7:50 am

Thanks. I am unclear whether USCIS would have our current adress or not on file.

I am L2 and EAD holder, and my application for EAD was applied for from current address, and received here also, so do you think that they would have this address? I guess probably best to send in a change of address for us both to be on the safeside though right? Or do you think this would just confuse them if they did have it right after all?

And I guess the same applies for hubby also, who is L1. our address when entering the US was listed as out temp accomodation which we left after 1 month. Both of our driving licences are in our current adress.. dont know if that makes a difference or not!?

Ill have another google soem time this week re DHS notification and IRS if no-one else knows about wether we need to notify them or not! I'm not great with searching for stuff on the interweb!:o

Jerseygirl Feb 22nd 2009 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100 (Post 7309669)
Thanks. I am unclear whether USCIS would have our current adress or not on file.

I am L2 and EAD holder, and my application for EAD was applied for from current address, and received here also, so do you think that they would have this address? I guess probably best to send in a change of address for us both to be on the safeside though right? Or do you think this would just confuse them if they did have it right after all?

And I guess the same applies for hubby also, who is L1. our address when entering the US was listed as out temp accomodation which we left after 1 month. Both of our driving licences are in our current adress.. dont know if that makes a difference or not!?

Ill have another google soem time this week re DHS notification and IRS if no-one else knows about wether we need to notify them or not! I'm not great with searching for stuff on the interweb!:o

Form AR11 is particularly important..it must to be returned within 10 of you moving...it's for Homeland Security not USCIS. You have to inform the USCIS ...it says so in the link.

f you are not a U.S. citizen, changing your address for legal purposes does not change your address on any application or petition pending with USCIS and changing your address on a pending application or petition does not meet the legal requirements of informing USCIS of your change of address. You will need to do both. For most cases, you can now do both at the same time on our website using the Electronic Change of Address tool (available under "Related Links" on this page).

also

For the part of the law concerning reporting of your address and for the penalties if you do not comply, please see INA § 265 and 266. The specific requirements for reporting your change of address are federal regulations found in 8 CFR Part 265 and at 67 Federal Register 52584, 52592 (to be codified at 8 CFR § 264.1(f)(6)(concerning designated special registrants)).

Chrissywissy100 Feb 22nd 2009 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 7310509)
Form AR11 is particularly important..it must to be returned within 10 of you moving...it's for Homeland Security not USCIS. You have to inform the USCIS ...it says so in the link.

f you are not a U.S. citizen, changing your address for legal purposes does not change your address on any application or petition pending with USCIS and changing your address on a pending application or petition does not meet the legal requirements of informing USCIS of your change of address. You will need to do both. For most cases, you can now do both at the same time on our website using the Electronic Change of Address tool (available under "Related Links" on this page).

also

For the part of the law concerning reporting of your address and for the penalties if you do not comply, please see INA § 265 and 266. The specific requirements for reporting your change of address are federal regulations found in 8 CFR Part 265 and at 67 Federal Register 52584, 52592 (to be codified at 8 CFR § 264.1(f)(6)(concerning designated special registrants)).

OK a little scared now. I honestly didnt know (think about) the fact we would have to do this within a certain time frame, and we are significantky over the 10 day deadline. What do you think the likelihood is we will be fined / presceuted for breaching this term? Obviously will fill it in online now anyway!

Elvira Feb 22nd 2009 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100 (Post 7311089)
OK a little scared now. I honestly didnt know (think about) the fact we would have to do this within a certain time frame, and we are significantky over the 10 day deadline. What do you think the likelihood is we will be fined / presceuted for breaching this term? Obviously will fill it in online now anyway!

Relax. They have more important things to do than chase folks for this. Just do it now. :)

Chrissywissy100 Feb 22nd 2009 7:00 pm

Thanks Elvira and Jersey Girl! All done.

Trying not to panic, esp as the form does not even ask you when you moved.. and since the govt departments within DHS and USCIS dont even seem to be able to talk to each other very well, let alone with DMV, IRS who have our correct adress, I think you are right. They are more likely out there catching baddies and those who are trying to evade deportation.

Actually think USCIS may have my current address already since they have processed my EAD application which has my current address on it. Not taken any chances and filled the form in anyway! Hubby's too.

Also, (being thicker than two short planks) the AR11 is for USCIS right? So how do I notify DHS, or does the AR11 do this also?

Bluegrass Lass Feb 22nd 2009 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100 (Post 7311166)
Also, (being thicker than two short planks) the AR11 is for USCIS right? So how do I notify DHS, or does the AR11 do this also?

All you need to do is send in the AR11, that's it.

meauxna Feb 23rd 2009 5:29 pm

Actually think USCIS may have my current address already since they have processed my EAD application which has my current address on it. Not taken any chances and filled the form in anyway! Hubby's too.

Just file the AR-11; they won't mind if you're tardy, and one department doesn't talk to the other. :zzz:

CIS is part of DHS; you're all good.

starky Feb 23rd 2009 7:10 pm

Thanks Elvira and Jersey Girl! All done.

Trying not to panic, esp as the form does not even ask you when you moved.. and since the govt departments within DHS and USCIS dont even seem to be able to talk to each other very well, let alone with DMV, IRS who have our correct adress, I think you are right. They are more likely out there catching baddies and those who are trying to evade deportation.

I sent one of these in before Christmas, most people don't even bother sending them at all! or don't even know about the AR11!! So I would not worry too much, at least you have sent it in now, so you can relax. :-)

GetYourBritsOut Feb 23rd 2009 9:24 pm

Just found this thread and rather glad I did. We moved in October & never even gave it a thought that we'd have to notify USCIS or homeland security.

OH has left the US a couple of times since we moved - would they have updated his file already or should I just fill in a form for him too? Also, do you have to do it for minors??

Thanks.

Longy Feb 23rd 2009 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by GetYourBritsOut (Post 7315532)
Just found this thread and rather glad I did. We moved in October & never even gave it a thought that we'd have to notify USCIS or homeland security.

OH has left the US a couple of times since we moved - would they have updated his file already or should I just fill in a form for him too? Also, do you have to do it for minors??

Thanks.

Whilst you are a resident and not a citizen it is your obligation to let them know where you live. I am not sure if coming through immigation updates their records, but regardless it is best to file this anyway, it takes 5 minutes.

I would imagine it needs to be filed for everyone, it doesn't seem to have anywhere on there for multiple people.