Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Change of address ?

Change of address ?

Old Feb 2nd 2002, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

khabibiuf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

My wife is here on a K3 visa and we are currently in process of filing AOS. We are thinking about moving into different apartments. I wanted to know what the ramifications might be if we do this... Will it cause a major problem? On the K3 applications and the I-130 applications we are using our current address. When we file for AOS the address will be different if we move. will this cause a problem? Is there a central database of addresses which INS can change easily?

Thanks for the help...

- khabibiuf
Old Feb 2nd 2002, 5:57 pm
Alvena Ferreira

khabibiuf wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Frankly, I would wait and file AOS after you have moved. That way you won't lose
sleep over this matter.

INS seems to have a mental block when it comes to changing addresses in their system,
which may be the reason we have a god-awful number of immigrants/illegals running
around that no one seems to know where they are. Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Feb 3rd 2002, 3:42 pm
Nipidoc

khabibiuf <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Based on my experience, you DEFINATELY want to move before you file AOS. And when you
do, stay there until your case is processed.

nipidoc

Old Feb 3rd 2002, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Will there be a problem if my K3/I-130 was filed at the first address and the AOS was filed at the new address? I can probably wait until I move to file the AOS. I just want to make sure having different addresses for different INS applications doesn't cause a problem.

Old Feb 4th 2002, 12:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It should not be a problem. Your K-3 spouse will have to do another G-325A and will have to list the new and old addresses on the form. However, I am hoping your original post was incorrect and that you are not moving to new apartments but to one apartment which will house both of you as husband and wife.

If it is two separate apartments, that might be a problem.

Also be sure to put your spouse's A number and social security number on all the forms. This will help consolidate the file once the I-130 is approved.

Rita
Old Feb 4th 2002, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

My current lease ends in 3 months. If I wait until I move then this vital time is lost. Is there a way I can file with the current address and then have it changed later? I think there is some "change of address" form. I"m not sure if it is used for this purpose. I'm sure moving is not that uncommon... there should probably be some standard way of doing this.

Nipidoc - What is your past experiences regarding this? You mentioned that they were not so good.

Rete - You are correct. We will be living together.

Thanks for the advice everybody.

- khabibiuf
Old Feb 4th 2002, 3:46 pm
Shelley

Moving is no uncommon - and there is a form for change of address to the INS.
However.... the INS seems to have a problem updating files - and chances are your
address will never be updated even if you send the form to the Washington DC address
and even to the INS office you are working with. Many, many people in this NG will
tell you that they never received forms, interview letters were lost, Green Cards
never delivered because they moved. If start the AOS process from your new address
you will be better off, then all appointment letters and other correspondence will
come to your new home. Chances are since you sent the I-130 from your current address
you may never see the approval letter if you move, you will have to keep track of
when that should be coming to you and then if you don't receive it have your
congressperson track it down. Isn't the government fun??? Take Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 16th 2003, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

ndrobert is an unknown quantity at this point
Default k3 visa

hi ..
My wife is here in usa on K3 visa ,which appliction do i have to file next, plus what to do to get SS card..

i130 still in pending

Regards
Robert::scared: