Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chances of getting a graduate role in the U.S.

Chances of getting a graduate role in the U.S.

Old Jul 7th 2015, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Hb229 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chances of getting a graduate role in the U.S.

Hi All,

I'm just about graduate with a First Class Master's degree in chemistry, and I was wondering what the possibility of getting a graduate job in the U.S would be. Having researched the current market, it doesn't seem like there is that great a demand for graduate chemists, I.e. I saw an article whereby Stanford PhDs couldn't find a job!

If I'm completely honest, I'm not sure if I'd like to stick to a career in chemistry but it has been an ambition of mine to move to the U.S. Is it best just to start a career with a multi-national and then transfer, or is there any possibility of getting a position over there?

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Haydn
Old Jul 7th 2015, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

london_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of getting a graduate role in the U.S.

Originally Posted by Hb229
Hi All,

I'm just about graduate with a First Class Master's degree in chemistry, and I was wondering what the possibility of getting a graduate job in the U.S would be. Having researched the current market, it doesn't seem like there is that great a demand for graduate chemists, I.e. I saw an article whereby Stanford PhDs couldn't find a job!

If I'm completely honest, I'm not sure if I'd like to stick to a career in chemistry but it has been an ambition of mine to move to the U.S. Is it best just to start a career with a multi-national and then transfer, or is there any possibility of getting a position over there?

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Haydn
There are plenty of post-doc positions in biomedical science available to foreigners and I doubt chemistry is much different. Can you get a funded PhD position?
Old Jul 7th 2015, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Hb229 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by london_calling
There are plenty of post-doc positions in biomedical science available to foreigners and I doubt chemistry is much different. Can you get a funded PhD position?
My problem with that is that PhDs aren't like how they in the UK, where you have fair working hours. In the U.S. Supervisors seem to use you like slaves. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hb229
My problem with that is that PhDs aren't like how they in the UK, where you have fair working hours. In the U.S. Supervisors seem to use you like slaves. Thanks for the suggestion though.
You realise, of course, that the US commercial sector has exactly the same lack of protection of workers' rights as the academic sector?
Old Jul 7th 2015, 11:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
You realise, of course, that the US commercial sector has exactly the same lack of protection of workers' rights as the academic sector?
Aye, it's just as bad.

As a fresh grad with no real world experience, the study route is the best and probably the most realistic option, unless you're looking for a 3-5 year plan.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 1:18 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Easiest option (in terms of visa) is study for a graduate degree. In chemistry, you'll typically be fully covered for tuition and living expenses.

Last edited by AdobePinon; Jul 8th 2015 at 1:21 am.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 1:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, it's just as bad.

As a fresh grad with no real world experience, the study route is the best and probably the most realistic option, unless you're looking for a 3-5 year plan.
Pretty much what Bob said. Studying as part of a multi-pronged approach - qualification, networking, ..... and dating. No, I am not joking.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Easiest option (in terms of visa) is study for a graduate degree.
In many cases, getting married to a U.S. citizen would actually be much easier ...
Old Jul 8th 2015, 2:29 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
In many cases, getting married to a U.S. citizen would actually be much easier ...
Technically easy, yeah.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 7:11 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Technically easy, yeah.

Exactly. After the "honeymoon period," may not always be so easy. Of course a knowledge of chemistry may help.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 7:31 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london_calling
Biomedical science is a lot different to Chemistry, there is a lot of Chemistry in there, but alos at least an equal amount of medical knowledge and knowledge of disease processes. (I'm a retired biomedical scientist)
Old Jul 8th 2015, 12:15 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Technically easy, yeah.
Easier maybe, but a lot more expensive than study if you are on a "free ride".
Old Jul 8th 2015, 2:53 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

We have plenty of foreign doctoral students at my lab.
They all follow a similar pattern.
3 years or so of study/research/work.
Phd, maybe post doc position, marry a US citizen, find a job from the years of networking ect.

My guess you will have to follow a similar route.

No US company is going to bring you over of a $100K + per year working 36hrs a week with full benefits.

Even with a masters in chemistry but with no working experience your going to be starting at the bottom of the ladder.