British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Central Market, Plano....worth a visit? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/central-market-plano-worth-visit-359098/)

paul_TX Mar 4th 2006 3:57 pm

Central Market, Plano....worth a visit?

Look's like we'll be in the Plano area this afternoon. Is it worth trying to find Central Market for UK stuff, or is it just the same stuff they sell in Kroger etc?

I've seen mention on here before about Englisg sausages and bacon there...true or not?

Thanks,

dbj1000 Mar 4th 2006 7:24 pm

Re: Central Market, Plano....worth a visit?

Originally Posted by paul_TX
Look's like we'll be in the Plano area this afternoon. Is it worth trying to find Central Market for UK stuff, or is it just the same stuff they sell in Kroger etc?

I've seen mention on here before about Englisg sausages and bacon there...true or not?

Thanks,

Kroger carries most of what Central Market carries as far as Brit stuff goes. At Central Market you'll find a wide range of British bottled beers, and a slightly wider range of chocolate bars at some checkouts.

They have "British Bangers" occasionally, but we've not seen them there regularly. The other sausages at the meat counter are pretty good though. As for bacon, we still haven't found the good stuff. We paid over the odds for a "traditional" block of uncut bacon in a hessian bag last week, and it's just a solid block of pig fat!

Still, if you're in town and have nothing better to do than grocery shopping I guess it's worth a look!

Big D Mar 4th 2006 8:18 pm

Thanks,

Let me know how it was - the one in Southlake wont be too long though - then, coupled with Cheesecake Factory - my cost of living is going to soar :D

snorkmaiden Mar 4th 2006 9:15 pm

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. I was up there yesterday morning and they didn't have any bacon or sausages in stock at that point.

For British stuff I would say that Kroger stocks more than they do now and Kroger is cheaper but Kroger never has bacon or sausages.

Central Market is great for all kinds of other stuff, they do wonderful bread etc but for they have not been stocking the bacon and sausages regularly lately.

paul_TX Mar 4th 2006 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. I was up there yesterday morning and they didn't have any bacon or sausages in stock at that point.

For British stuff I would say that Kroger stocks more than they do now and Kroger is cheaper but Kroger never has bacon or sausages.

Central Market is great for all kinds of other stuff, they do wonderful bread etc but for they have not been stocking the bacon and sausages regularly lately.

Thanks guys,

Well, we did go and you're right, Kroger has most of what Central Market has so probably won't be going again until the Southlake one opens. And yes, Big D, Cheescake Factory is being eagerly anticipated in this house too. We love the one in Vegas!!...massive portions of everything.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, worth a look but not worth the GBP Turnpike tolls for a specific trip :)

I do snigger childishly though everytime we go "up George Bush", or as my wife put it when we were looking for the best way home "Let's go down on George Bush" ....eeeuuuuwww...no thanks! :) :eek:

snowbunny Mar 5th 2006 6:54 pm

And yes, Big D, Cheescake Factory is being eagerly anticipated in this house too. We love the one in Vegas!!...massive portions of everything.

Oh God, I just gained 10 lbs reading about that! I've managed to stay away from the one here in Austin.

Though I then lost 10 lbs reading about going down on George Bush. Did they rename one of the expressways? Dear God it's bad enough to have to fly out of "Bush" Airport in Houston. I refuse to call it that, the code is still IAH, Houston Intercontinental Airport.

Thackattack Mar 8th 2006 12:26 am

George douche freeway is great (thats what i call it) its usually very quiet and can cut off a lot of time. The central market in Plano i went to the other day for a job application, its a nice store even if you dont find a lot of brit stuff. Do you live far from there?

paul_TX Mar 8th 2006 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Thackattack
George douche freeway is great (thats what i call it) its usually very quiet and can cut off a lot of time. The central market in Plano i went to the other day for a job application, its a nice store even if you dont find a lot of brit stuff. Do you live far from there?

:)

We're in Keller (near Southlake/Grapevine)....a good 30-40 drive from Plano