Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Central Florida Phone / TV / Broadband bundles - Brighthouse or Verizon?

Central Florida Phone / TV / Broadband bundles - Brighthouse or Verizon?

Old May 8th 2010, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Desinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud of
Default Central Florida Phone / TV / Broadband bundles - Brighthouse or Verizon?

Hi, If I am down to this level of detail I must be getting somewhere! Trying to compare the 2 choices I have of Verizon or Brighthouse networks, bundle prices more or less the same, calls to UK more or less the same. Anyone want to put me off either please?! All I really want is premiership football and a few stations to keep Mrs Des and the Deslets amused but you get 250+ anyway and free calls to anyone in the US. The Mrs and I only know each other so that is superfluous but we've got to have a good broadband for Skype etc.
Any advice or guidance welcome, particularly if you have tried to weigh up these choices yourself. Sitting waiting for my ash delayed flight back to Gatwick from Orlando, only 4 hrs, could be worse, i am not complaining!
Old May 9th 2010, 2:43 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Central Florida Phone / TV / Broadband bundles - Brighthouse or Verizon?

Originally Posted by Desinflorida
Hi, If I am down to this level of detail I must be getting somewhere! Trying to compare the 2 choices I have of Verizon or Brighthouse networks, bundle prices more or less the same, calls to UK more or less the same. Anyone want to put me off either please?! All I really want is premiership football and a few stations to keep Mrs Des and the Deslets amused but you get 250+ anyway and free calls to anyone in the US. The Mrs and I only know each other so that is superfluous but we've got to have a good broadband for Skype etc.
Any advice or guidance welcome, particularly if you have tried to weigh up these choices yourself. Sitting waiting for my ash delayed flight back to Gatwick from Orlando, only 4 hrs, could be worse, i am not complaining!
Brighthouse is more honest and straightforward
verizon loves hidden costs
Old May 9th 2010, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Central Florida Phone / TV / Broadband bundles - Brighthouse or Verizon?

Agree with Ray. I have Brighthouse for TV and internet. But I use Vonage for my land-line - Brighthouse just can't do a long distance and international rate that gets anywhere near Vonage.
Old May 9th 2010, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Had Brighthouse for 4 years before the internet started acting up, and they repeatedly could not fix it. Switched to Verizon Fios - have to admit it is a big improvement over Brighthouse - internet is far far faster up and download, and the quality of the TV is better (less compression on the High Def channels, no pixelly pictures during fast movement like you sometimes got with Brighthouse). The internet has never slowed down or dropped once since we switched over - there's a lot to be said for this fiber optic all the way to your house gig.

If you have the option on Fios in your area (not regular Verizon DSL) I'd recommend it - they do like to lock you into a years contract, but the prices are no more expensive than Brighthouse, for a better service.

For home phone we use Callcentric - its a VOIP service every bit as good as Vonage but less marketed and mainstream and substantially cheaper, especially if you might find yourself calling UK mobile phones.
Old May 10th 2010, 12:47 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for Verizon FiOS if you can get it in your area. Hands down the best, fastest, most stable broadband I've ever experienced... and I've had many broadband providers!
Old May 12th 2010, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Desinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the advice. I am inclined towards Brighthouse as cannot get Verizon fios at my house. The VOIP options are interesting, i will investigate these further. Like many newbies I am sure i am going to be taking some unneccessarily expensive options on a lot of things until my nous of US matters improves!