Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cellhphone Hellphone!

Cellhphone Hellphone!

Old Apr 9th 2014, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

delbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to behold
Default Cellhphone Hellphone!

Snappy title hey! lol

I got my L1 visa approved at the embassy yesterday and my wife and I move out to Chicago in May.

I have been told by my company to look at cellphones (as well as several other things) and after checking the stickys in this forum I am not sure if I can even get a contract cellphone to start off with.

Sounds like I will need a social security number and even then my credit score will be non existent so I wont be able to get one?

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 9th 2014, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cellhphone Hellphone!

I have been wondering the same thing! Sort of figured we would have to get a PAYG SIM in our existing phones til we get a bit of a credit rating going! Would obviously be better if this is not the case so will see what other people reply with!
Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Non-contract phones are apparently the way to go, and can be much cheaper. I do have a contract, with a "legacy" plan that is cheaper than any currently available plan, but even so, if it wasn't for inertia*, I could probably save $30-$50 a month compared to the contract Mrs P and I have. Others, including Bob, will probably be along shortly to recommend PAYG phone services.

* The problem is that I need the number and a PAYG service I previously used couldn't/ wouldn't guarantee that I could keep the number if I upgraded the phone, but I was able to "port" it to another carrier.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

delbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Non-contract phones are apparently the way to go, and can be much cheaper. I do have a contract, with a "legacy" plan that is cheaper than any currently available plan, but even so, if it wasn't for inertia*, I could probably save $30-$50 a month compared to the contract Mrs P and I have. Others, including Bob, will probably be along shortly to recommend PAYG phone services.

* The problem is that I need the number and a PAYG service I previously used couldn't/ wouldn't guarantee that I could keep the number if I upgraded the phone, but I was able to "port" it to another carrier.
Ah great thanks. Made this post before the other one although different topics so think thats ok!

I have been looking at sprint boost which seems good. up front phone price and then $55 per month seems better than the $90 I see elsewhere!
Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

My wife and children all use T-Mobile. I think that something like $55 a month now gets you unlimited calls in the US and to a bunch of other countries.

my wife can call any mobile/landline in UK for hours and it doesnt cost any more than her monthly charge. Unlimited Data is also included.

They also dont charge for data roaming.

All in all, a pretty good option.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Markoncarp
My wife and children all use T-Mobile. I think that something like $55 a month now gets you unlimited calls in the US and to a bunch of other countries.

my wife can call any mobile/landline in UK for hours and it doesnt cost any more than her monthly charge. Unlimited Data is also included.

They also dont charge for data roaming.

All in all, a pretty good option.
Is that on a contract or a sort of bolt on plan? i.e. you pay monthly for a set amount but are not tied in.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

If you're moving to the big city or urban sprawl, there are many options available to you unlike more rural areas where you'r virtually limited to AT&T or Verizon.

Take a look at straighttalk.com (available at Walmart), where you can get an all-you-can-eat plan for as little as $45 per month with no contract or credit check. There's even an international plan for $60/Mo, which I'm sure, if necessary, you could get for any month you need it and pay the lower rate the rest of the time.

If your company is a decent size, it may be worth finding out which company they use for their business phones as that may get you a discount.

I'm assuming your new employer is not providing you with the phone. Prices at StraightTalk start at $99.99 on the site, but there are often offers.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute

We were the same when we first came here- our credit check failed despite having a good credit score and social..

So now we're on T-Mobile family plan (consisting of 4 persons- me & husband, and 2 colleagues) and we pay like $50 (for both of us I might add) a month for unlimited talk+text and 1GB 4G speed data which is more than enough for us as everywhere you go in US most places have wifi hotspots...
Btw, this is all prepaid and not on a contract so we can cancel anytime.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:41 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Verizon will certainly offer you a contract when you have your SSN - just expect to be ashed for a $500 deposit.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by delbitter
Is that on a contract or a sort of bolt on plan? i.e. you pay monthly for a set amount but are not tied in.
No. PAYG.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Guindalf
If you're moving to the big city or urban sprawl, there are many options available to you unlike more rural areas where you'r virtually limited to AT&T or Verizon.

Take a look at straighttalk.com (available at Walmart), where you can get an all-you-can-eat plan for as little as $45 per month with no contract or credit check. There's even an international plan for $60/Mo, which I'm sure, if necessary, you could get for any month you need it and pay the lower rate the rest of the time.

If your company is a decent size, it may be worth finding out which company they use for their business phones as that may get you a discount.

I'm assuming your new employer is not providing you with the phone. Prices at StraightTalk start at $99.99 on the site, but there are often offers.
No they are not big enough for that. They just said "take a look and we'll pay" sort of deal.

It seems like the only way will be buying a phone outright then paying for a monthly plan without a contract. I HAVE to have a smartphone like htc or samsung, pref not an iPhone! lol
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Well if you take your phone from the UK, then you'll have to use either T-Mobile or AT&T, as I think they are the only two that supply phones that are SIM compatible.

If I'm wrong, I give it approximately 45 seconds before someone corrects me though
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
We were the same when we first came here- our credit check failed despite having a good credit score and social..

So now we're on T-Mobile family plan (consisting of 4 persons- me & husband, and 2 colleagues) and we pay like $50 (for both of us I might add) a month for unlimited talk+text and 1GB 4G speed data which is more than enough for us as everywhere you go in US most places have wifi hotspots...
Btw, this is all prepaid and not on a contract so we can cancel anytime.
Nice. I will check out t mobile!

Originally Posted by civilservant
Verizon will certainly offer you a contract when you have your SSN - just expect to be ashed for a $500 deposit.
That sucks! Would rather buy the phone outright than pay the deposit although I guess I would get that back at the end.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markoncarp
Well if you take your phone from the UK, then you'll have to use either T-Mobile or AT&T, as I think they are the only two that supply phones that are SIM compatible.

If I'm wrong, I give it approximately 45 seconds before someone corrects me though
I forgot about being locked to a network. I was thinking take my UK phone - stick a straighttalk SIM in it and I am set - but that wont work will it.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delbitter
...... I HAVE to have a smartphone like htc or samsung, pref not an iPhone! lol
Also Motorola are big in the US, and they're good phones, as good as Samsung, but with better battery life. ... My phone is a Motorola.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.