Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cell phones in the US

Cell phones in the US

Old Oct 4th 2015, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cell phones in the US

If you select a pay-as-you-go plan and don't want to set up a direct debit, you can simply go to anywhere like Target or Walmart, and buy some top-up credit.
A scratch card with a code, I think they start around $10....up to...whatever.

When I came to he US, 9 years ago, I got an AT&T Go-Phone (PAYG) to tide me over.
I haven't found a better plan since. I now pay $45 a month for unlimited talk and text (texts to the UK are 20c. ) and more data than I'll ever need.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

if you are moving from the UK you might want to look at getting togglemobile. That way you can have a UK and US number on the same phone and get fairly cheap calls
Old Oct 6th 2015, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mamasue
If you select a pay-as-you-go plan and don't want to set up a direct debit, you can simply go to anywhere like Target or Walmart, and buy some top-up credit.
A scratch card with a code, I think they start around $10....up to...whatever.

When I came to he US, 9 years ago, I got an AT&T Go-Phone (PAYG) to tide me over.
I haven't found a better plan since. I now pay $45 a month for unlimited talk and text (texts to the UK are 20c. ) and more data than I'll ever need.
Ultramobile and lyca both have $19 plans with unlimited talk and text and some data
Old Oct 6th 2015, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I've had t-mobile since we arrived 2 years ago but I'm about to change over to Ultra mobile - they use the T-mobile network.

You can pay for the level of data you use - I checked our usage and for 3 of us the cheapest data level is enough and 1gb for eldest . This will save me $50 a month and we will all get international sms and calls instead of me paying extra for it with T-mobile.

Bring your own phones if you can - make sure they are unlocked before you leave.

Otherwise - what I did with the kids was go to a microsoft store (online works too) and buy cheap Nokia smartphones ready to use with t-mobile. The phones are about $50 each and you can get them unlocked after you've subscribed to t-mobile for a month since they aren't subsidised at all. Then you can switch to a cheaper service like ultra mobile with your phones.
There is no need to unlock a tmobile phone to use ultra mobile. You can use any tmobile phone. I think for lyca you may need to get the phone unlocked.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 7:41 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
There is no need to unlock a tmobile phone to use ultra mobile. You can use any tmobile phone. I think for lyca you may need to get the phone unlocked.
That's good to know, Thank you! I presume it's because they piggyback on the tmobile network?
Old Oct 8th 2015, 3:49 am
Just Joined

acrazywolf is an unknown quantity at this point

i find a site JD where i can find some great mobile phone.
i know it is good company in China.
but i have no idea about whether it provide a good product and good service to abroad.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 10:09 am
"Ignore Imbecile replies"

florida12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Last year, I bought a sim card I think it was $50 unlimited calls/texts from an AT&T Store, I think.. cannot remember the exact store. I have got a Samsung 4 phone.
I shall be moving to the USA in Dec on my K1 and I too is wondering if there is a cheaper, 'Sim only' that I can use in my Unlocked S4 phone.
I had tried those cheaper phones in Walmart with scratch card codes, but I do not like those one bit. I'd rather buy a Sim, pop in unlocked phone and go.
I am also going to be using VIber and Skype & WhatsApp for free calls and texts but have to be within a WIFI signal for that.
Any suggestions on SIM only cards for unlocked phones please forward to me!
Old Oct 12th 2015, 1:56 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Oddly enough I was looking at the PAYG phones in Target yesterday and they had a bunch on sale, the cheapest being one for $19.99 which included the phone (non smart) and $50 of credit!
Old Oct 12th 2015, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by florida12
Last year, I bought a sim card I think it was $50 unlimited calls/texts from an AT&T Store, I think.. cannot remember the exact store. I have got a Samsung 4 phone.
I shall be moving to the USA in Dec on my K1 and I too is wondering if there is a cheaper, 'Sim only' that I can use in my Unlocked S4 phone.
I had tried those cheaper phones in Walmart with scratch card codes, but I do not like those one bit. I'd rather buy a Sim, pop in unlocked phone and go.
I am also going to be using VIber and Skype & WhatsApp for free calls and texts but have to be within a WIFI signal for that.
Any suggestions on SIM only cards for unlocked phones please forward to me!
ultra and lyca. If you want to use 4g , you should check that your phone has the right bands. If you want a transition sim card for when you first move here I would look at togglemobile before you move, or possible EE and get the roaming pack
Old Oct 12th 2015, 3:50 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, my spouse has a PAYG SIM from T-mobile which she uses on an old unlocked Android [e.g. "Ice Cream Sandwich"]. Every few months she has to add time [usually a $100]. For her usage pattern, it is the cheapest way. I have a flat rate plan on T-Mobile. [one of the "Simple" ones which after taxes comes out to $68.00 per month]. I use a Motorola Moto-G. I have unlimited phone service and 2-gig data per month [and it carries over purportedly]. I find I never come close to using the data limit -- I don't stream videos, I do use Google Maps while driving. BTW, T-Mobile does not charge for data on music streaming such as Pandora.

Note: watch the data coverage availability. On long distance drives in California, I've had no problem, but in upstate/Western New York, it has been problematical.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
FWIW, my spouse has a PAYG SIM from T-mobile which she uses on an old unlocked Android [e.g. "Ice Cream Sandwich"]. Every few months she has to add time [usually a $100]. For her usage pattern, it is the cheapest way. I have a flat rate plan on T-Mobile. [one of the "Simple" ones which after taxes comes out to $68.00 per month]. I use a Motorola Moto-G. I have unlimited phone service and 2-gig data per month [and it carries over purportedly]. I find I never come close to using the data limit -- I don't stream videos, I do use Google Maps while driving. BTW, T-Mobile does not charge for data on music streaming such as Pandora.

Note: watch the data coverage availability. On long distance drives in California, I've had no problem, but in upstate/Western New York, it has been problematical.
Tmobile also has very cheap international roaming packages. It include data when overseas in a lot of countries, but only at 3g rates. My wife just cam off here ultra contract which was $100 for a year, unlimted talk and text to US and UK, but only 100MB of data, each additional 500MB was $5. The same package is now $20 a month.