Cell Phones

Old May 7th 2005, 10:41 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cell Phones

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Why didn't you just wait until you got here to buy one to save all the hassle?. It's not like cellphones are much more expensive here. Plus give it 6 months and your new phone will be out of date and missing a few bells and whistles. Sure Tri band phones are nice, but the cost of making a call should you need to abroad is so expensive. I remember with Orange when I had mine, it cost £1.10 pounds a minute to make a call in the U.S. but if someone called me, it was just £0.55 pence. I use to call home and say call me right back.

to be honest, cellphones are a LOT more expensive out here than the Uk and its likely that the OP's phone will still be advanced by US standards in a years time.

I brought my P800 over here and people were amazed

Six months ago I brought a sony ericsson s700 over, (only in the last month or two became available here). over here its $400 on a 2 year contact - I got it for 100 quid on a 1 year contract in the UK

to the OP - your phone one will work fine over here. just pick up the crappest phone cingular have and either flog it on ebay or keep it as an emergency phone in case yours goes tits up
Old May 7th 2005, 10:57 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

The 2 phone systems are so far apart - even the different carriers use such different technology...

A couple of points :

RELY on NOTHING anyone tells you in customer-dis-service over the phones. Most people who work in these departments know less than my 10 year old.

I think a new thing that is starting to grow (thans to WallMarts pushing) is pay-as-you-go... Apparently it's HUGE in the UK so give it 5 years If you want a great phone though, for now forget it for PAYG.

You need to get to a store when you get here and find someone really smart (few and far between) but when you do, they will go out of their way to help you.

Good Luck.
Old May 7th 2005, 11:06 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I hate it that only Cingulair and T-Mobile support GSM. Verizon has the highest customer satisfaction ratings of all the major carriers; but cell phone service here vs the UK *sucks*. It may be cheaper, but just the sheer difficulty in covering the country with cell towers means worse service, and there's just no way to get the density of coverage.

By all means try to use your existing phone; but folks are right: phones are evolving at such a rapid pace that you may end up buying a new one anyway. However, GSM phones are few and far between here.
Old May 7th 2005, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
to be honest, cellphones are a LOT more expensive out here than the Uk and its likely that the OP's phone will still be advanced by US standards in a years time.

I brought my P800 over here and people were amazed

Six months ago I brought a sony ericsson s700 over, (only in the last month or two became available here). over here its $400 on a 2 year contact - I got it for 100 quid on a 1 year contract in the UK

to the OP - your phone one will work fine over here. just pick up the crappest phone cingular have and either flog it on ebay or keep it as an emergency phone in case yours goes tits up
Yes, but you wouldn't get that phone for £100 quid without the yearly contract, so in the original posters case, I assume he bought a phone with a years worth of contract to run, when he won't even be in the country. I understand that UK phones are more up to date, as my best friend in the U.K. was a manager of a cellphone store for a number of years, which enabled me to have all the latest gizmo etc, etc while I lived there. But unless he bought the phone outright without a contract which I assume would be vastly more expensive than buying with a contract as it always use to be. This seems like an extra hassle in an already hassled visa and moving process that could have been left until he got here. Just my opinion.
Old May 7th 2005, 11:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Goddam ..What thing is proved by this posting ... The younger generation really believe you cannot survive without a cell phone hanging on your belt...
But honestly you really can ...
Old May 8th 2005, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, but you wouldn't get that phone for £100 quid without the yearly contract, so in the original posters case, I assume he bought a phone with a years worth of contract to run, when he won't even be in the country. I understand that UK phones are more up to date, as my best friend in the U.K. was a manager of a cellphone store for a number of years, which enabled me to have all the latest gizmo etc, etc while I lived there. But unless he bought the phone outright without a contract which I assume would be vastly more expensive than buying with a contract as it always use to be. This seems like an extra hassle in an already hassled visa and moving process that could have been left until he got here. Just my opinion.
I got this new phone, which I can't see is out in the States, on Ebay - unlocked. So it's not really a hassle, I just want to be able to use it in the US. I looked at the Cingular website, and it just seems to me that their phones are about 2 years behind Europe.
Old May 8th 2005, 12:49 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Goddam ..What thing is proved by this posting ... The younger generation really believe you cannot survive without a cell phone hanging on your belt...
You can honestly get away without blowing animals away for sport. On the other hand, everyone has their favourite pastimes Horses courses.....

My own current phone is triband but sucks so badly I almost never use it cos the battery runs down (yeah battery has been replaced) etc. I am in the process of looking for a new one -- I need mine primarily to stay in contact with my kids, their dad, the schools. When I travel I also get a load of messages and ways to meet up with people in different cities. In the UK I ran up an unholy bill but it was still cheaper to use my mobile than to call back to the States using any phone card I could find and far less confusing -- as a mum I'm on call 24x7 when I don't have the kids.
Old May 8th 2005, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ray
I never wear my phone on my belt.

But I do believe a cell phone is a neccessity these days, and the fact that you can have free network to network calls on some plans, that makes them pretty useful. I want my wife to be able to call anytime should she need it. Plus, with my job I will always need to be contactable, and lots of other reasons.
Old May 8th 2005, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
you can, I am proud to say I haven't got one, bought one when we got here (a pay as you go) didn't use it so didn't top it up, now they've given my number to someone else..don't miss it at all and won't die from a phone induced brain tumour..happy days
Old May 8th 2005, 3:48 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by woodsey
you can, I am proud to say I haven't got one
this is why we argue constantly about you never being anywhere on time....
Old May 8th 2005, 4:32 am
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
Ok, again, I am leaving for the US in a month and I am going through all of those things that after a while just start to piss you off!

Latest thing - Cell Phones.

I have recently bought a new Triband phone to use when I get to the States, and got my fiancee to call Cingular to find out about adding me, etc. Basically, they said that they won't let me use their service unless I buy one of their phones!!!!!!!!!!!!

Outrageous!!

I have my own phone thank you very much! I am a potential new customer, and I want to use your service - give you MY business - but I already HAVE a phone!!

Now my fiancee thinks that every operator in the country is like that. You can't use your own phone with a different operator.

The reason I thought Cingular would be ok is my fiancee told me they have a Sim card system (like in Europe), unlike a lot of phones in the US. If I have a Sim card, I can just pop it into any phone no??

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this? Did anyone take their phone over with them? Is she right, that every operator will be the same??

It may seem like I am overreacting - but it is the fact that I have bought this new phone coupled with the whole principle of the thing! That I can't use their service unless I buy their phone.

Please help... someone....

Mobile phones??? What are they then?
Old May 8th 2005, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
Ok, again, I am leaving for the US in a month and I am going through all of those things that after a while just start to piss you off!

Latest thing - Cell Phones.

I have recently bought a new Triband phone to use when I get to the States, and got my fiancee to call Cingular to find out about adding me, etc. Basically, they said that they won't let me use their service unless I buy one of their phones!!!!!!!!!!!!

Outrageous!!

I have my own phone thank you very much! I am a potential new customer, and I want to use your service - give you MY business - but I already HAVE a phone!!

Now my fiancee thinks that every operator in the country is like that. You can't use your own phone with a different operator.

The reason I thought Cingular would be ok is my fiancee told me they have a Sim card system (like in Europe), unlike a lot of phones in the US. If I have a Sim card, I can just pop it into any phone no??

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this? Did anyone take their phone over with them? Is she right, that every operator will be the same??

It may seem like I am overreacting - but it is the fact that I have bought this new phone coupled with the whole principle of the thing! That I can't use their service unless I buy their phone.

Please help... someone....
im dumping my old phone in the bin at heathrow and buying a new 1 over there as they are cheaper
Old May 8th 2005, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

Why didn't you just wait until you got here to buy one to save all the hassle?. It's not like cellphones are much more expensive here. Plus give it 6 months and your new phone will be out of date and missing a few bells and whistles. Sure Tri band phones are nice, but the cost of making a call should you need to abroad is so expensive. I remember with Orange when I had mine, it cost £1.10 pounds a minute to make a call in the U.S. but if someone called me, it was just £0.55 pence. I use to call home and say call me right back.
i use a call card,about 5p a minute plus the mobile charge,5p? a minute,i can call mobile to mobile to the states cheaper than calling in UK to UK
Old May 8th 2005, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by franc111s
The 2 phone systems are so far apart - even the different carriers use such different technology...

A couple of points :

RELY on NOTHING anyone tells you in customer-dis-service over the phones. Most people who work in these departments know less than my 10 year old.

I think a new thing that is starting to grow (thans to WallMarts pushing) is pay-as-you-go... Apparently it's HUGE in the UK so give it 5 years If you want a great phone though, for now forget it for PAYG.

You need to get to a store when you get here and find someone really smart (few and far between) but when you do, they will go out of their way to help you.

Good Luck.
im just going on PAYG on T mobile,but then i'll be with my partner so wont need it much
Old May 8th 2005, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Eskimo
this is why we argue constantly about you never being anywhere on time....
LMAO...........maybe shes telling you summat?????????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.