British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cell Phone Number (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cell-phone-number-920634/)

Ealing man in NY Jan 2nd 2019 4:21 pm

Cell Phone Number

Hi - my wife and I will be relocating to NYC in a couple of months and I wanted to know if anyone managed to get a US phone number whilst still in the UK? We've been advised to try and get a US number as early as possible.

I bought my phone in the US but am with EE here and it works fine, so am assuming I can start with a new company/carrier once I'm there. I just want to know if there is a way of securing a number now (possibly prepaid??) but then just switch to a contract once I'm there?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Hotscot Jan 2nd 2019 4:39 pm

Re: Cell Phone Number

But if you got one how would you receive calls in the UK? Not sure about this.
You really need one before you relocate? Why?

Might be able to do something with Google voice..or VOIP.

Ealing man in NY Jan 2nd 2019 5:13 pm

Was told it would be easier to set things up from here, this is third hand information mind.

Would also save time if I can get as much done beforehand.

Hotscot Jan 2nd 2019 6:07 pm

I don't really know how 'easier to set up' applies. Can you clarify? Set what up?

I think you could get one as soon as you get here, prepaid, no contract sim etc..
Wouldn't really take a lot of time.
And then when you get a full contract, port the number to your permanent phone.

Even if you had one today I imagine you couldn't receive calls in the UK easily anyway.

Let us know what you find out though. Interesting question.

tom169 Jan 2nd 2019 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 12615274)
I don't really know how 'easier to set up' applies. Can you clarify? Set what up?

I think you could get one as soon as you get here, prepaid, no contract sim etc..
Wouldn't really take a lot of time.
And then when you get a full contract, port the number to your permanent phone.

Even if you had one today I imagine you couldn't receive calls in the UK easily anyway.

Let us know what you find out though. Interesting question.

Depends on the provider, but would likely just pay a roaming fee to make/receive calls in the UK.

Hotscot Jan 2nd 2019 10:06 pm

Couldn't that be quite high though? To not much advantage?
In any case it'll be interesting what he determines.

lansbury Jan 3rd 2019 3:32 am

If you’ve got an unlocked UK cell phone get a US T-Mobile prepaid SIM card from EBay or Amazon.

Alan17 Jan 3rd 2019 3:41 am

A US phone number or a US cellphone number?

if the former then you can sign up for a Skype account and get a SkypeIn number that’s a US number. Then when you’ve moved you can convert the SkypeIn number to a UK one - so people in the UK can call you on a local number.

petitefrancaise Jan 3rd 2019 4:20 am

I don't see any need at all to get a US phone number until you arrive here . You can literally get off the plane, go to t-mobile or whatever and walk out 10minutes later with a fully functioning sim and phone. You don't even need a US bank account, I don't think you even need an address - you just pay with your UK credit/debit card.

Ealing man in NY Jan 3rd 2019 9:55 am

Thanks for the messages, been looking at this again and it does seem unnecessary to get one over here. The guy who suggested it thought it might help with setting things up with providers who may need a cell number but I don't there's not a lot more we can do from here.

Hotscot Jan 3rd 2019 2:49 pm

You'll be ok.
Do you feel organized otherwise?
Job/House/Transport etc...?

Good luck with everything.

petitefrancaise Jan 3rd 2019 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Ealing man in NY (Post 12615589)
Thanks for the messages, been looking at this again and it does seem unnecessary to get one over here. The guy who suggested it thought it might help with setting things up with providers who may need a cell number but I don't there's not a lot more we can do from here.

I would suggest that you don't pay a whole lot of attention to them.
Come to BE and we'll help you out ( with about 10 different opinions!!)

Ealing man in NY Jan 3rd 2019 3:55 pm

Thanks, I'm sure it will be fine.

I'm going over on a spousal visa as my wife is being transferred within her company on an L-1A. We'll be put up in corporate accommodation for about 4 weeks by which time i'll have to find us a place to live and apply for my EAD.

I suppose I still need to work out what to do with myself before and after I receive it!

MorsePacific Jan 5th 2019 6:00 pm

You'll be fine giving them a UK number for the most part. Otherwise your wife might be able to get a corporate phone setup early and use that number?

I relocated from Surrey Quays (though I'm from all over) to Queens NY a year and a half ago, ping me if you need anything!!

durham_lad Jan 5th 2019 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Alan17 (Post 12615500)
A US phone number or a US cellphone number?

if the former then you can sign up for a Skype account and get a SkypeIn number that’s a US number. Then when you’ve moved you can convert the SkypeIn number to a UK one - so people in the UK can call you on a local number.

we did this in reverse when moving to the UK. Set up a UK Skype number, Skype app on my smart phone to receive. Very useful while searching for rental places, we were able to give the UK number to estate agents etc. Once in the UK we switched the UK Skype number for a US Skype number which our US banks and brokerage now have.