Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cell Phone Number

Cell Phone Number

Old Jan 2nd 2019, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Ealing man in NY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cell Phone Number

Hi - my wife and I will be relocating to NYC in a couple of months and I wanted to know if anyone managed to get a US phone number whilst still in the UK? We've been advised to try and get a US number as early as possible.

I bought my phone in the US but am with EE here and it works fine, so am assuming I can start with a new company/carrier once I'm there. I just want to know if there is a way of securing a number now (possibly prepaid??) but then just switch to a contract once I'm there?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cell Phone Number

But if you got one how would you receive calls in the UK? Not sure about this.
You really need one before you relocate? Why?

Might be able to do something with Google voice..or VOIP.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Was told it would be easier to set things up from here, this is third hand information mind.

Would also save time if I can get as much done beforehand.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really know how 'easier to set up' applies. Can you clarify? Set what up?

I think you could get one as soon as you get here, prepaid, no contract sim etc..
Wouldn't really take a lot of time.
And then when you get a full contract, port the number to your permanent phone.

Even if you had one today I imagine you couldn't receive calls in the UK easily anyway.

Let us know what you find out though. Interesting question.

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 2nd 2019 at 6:49 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I don't really know how 'easier to set up' applies. Can you clarify? Set what up?

I think you could get one as soon as you get here, prepaid, no contract sim etc..
Wouldn't really take a lot of time.
And then when you get a full contract, port the number to your permanent phone.

Even if you had one today I imagine you couldn't receive calls in the UK easily anyway.

Let us know what you find out though. Interesting question.
Depends on the provider, but would likely just pay a roaming fee to make/receive calls in the UK.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Couldn't that be quite high though? To not much advantage?
In any case it'll be interesting what he determines.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 3:32 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If you’ve got an unlocked UK cell phone get a US T-Mobile prepaid SIM card from EBay or Amazon.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

A US phone number or a US cellphone number?

if the former then you can sign up for a Skype account and get a SkypeIn number that’s a US number. Then when you’ve moved you can convert the SkypeIn number to a UK one - so people in the UK can call you on a local number.

Old Jan 3rd 2019, 4:20 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see any need at all to get a US phone number until you arrive here . You can literally get off the plane, go to t-mobile or whatever and walk out 10minutes later with a fully functioning sim and phone. You don't even need a US bank account, I don't think you even need an address - you just pay with your UK credit/debit card.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the messages, been looking at this again and it does seem unnecessary to get one over here. The guy who suggested it thought it might help with setting things up with providers who may need a cell number but I don't there's not a lot more we can do from here.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You'll be ok.
Do you feel organized otherwise?
Job/House/Transport etc...?

Good luck with everything.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 3:41 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ealing man in NY
Thanks for the messages, been looking at this again and it does seem unnecessary to get one over here. The guy who suggested it thought it might help with setting things up with providers who may need a cell number but I don't there's not a lot more we can do from here.
I would suggest that you don't pay a whole lot of attention to them.
Come to BE and we'll help you out ( with about 10 different opinions!!)
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I'm sure it will be fine.

I'm going over on a spousal visa as my wife is being transferred within her company on an L-1A. We'll be put up in corporate accommodation for about 4 weeks by which time i'll have to find us a place to live and apply for my EAD.

I suppose I still need to work out what to do with myself before and after I receive it!
Old Jan 5th 2019, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

MorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud of

You'll be fine giving them a UK number for the most part. Otherwise your wife might be able to get a corporate phone setup early and use that number?

I relocated from Surrey Quays (though I'm from all over) to Queens NY a year and a half ago, ping me if you need anything!!
Old Jan 5th 2019, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan17
A US phone number or a US cellphone number?

if the former then you can sign up for a Skype account and get a SkypeIn number that’s a US number. Then when you’ve moved you can convert the SkypeIn number to a UK one - so people in the UK can call you on a local number.

we did this in reverse when moving to the UK. Set up a UK Skype number, Skype app on my smart phone to receive. Very useful while searching for rental places, we were able to give the UK number to estate agents etc. Once in the UK we switched the UK Skype number for a US Skype number which our US banks and brokerage now have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.