Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cell phone Insurance...ARGGGGGGHHHHHHH...

Cell phone Insurance...ARGGGGGGHHHHHHH...

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cell phone Insurance...ARGGGGGGHHHHHHH...

Again I am absolutely flabberghasted with how friggin' backward some things in this country are... Arggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh :curse: :curse:

Daughter broke her phone.. get her a new one, this time with insurance - lady in shop said she is covered for anything and everything that happens to the phone. 2 weeks in and the hinge breaks on the phone - take to shop to get a replacement..... told that I have to call the insurance company or go online to complete claim form.. somewhat annoying but go and do it anyway... I have to fill out 4 pages of details, sign an affidavit, photocopy reciepts and back of phone and copy of state ID.. then fax it all to insurance company :curse: I then check today to see if claim went through, and it had been approved.. Gee thanks!! THEN.. if you don't mind I have to pay $70 for replacement phone!!!!!!!!!!!! I only paid $105 in the friggin' first place....

I am LIVID LIVID LIVID.... what in gods holy name is the point of having insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cell phone Insurance...ARGGGGGGHHHHHHH...

You probably got the phone at a reduced price with your contract. My daughter has destroyed a few phones! We used to have to take them to a repair place so they could try and fix it first before we could file a claim. I have found a claim is easier if she just lost the phone, and she has done that too!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Bev I didn't even get it reduced .. we could only get a month to month contract anyway... But what I can't get my head around is if this happened in 12 months time, I would have paid 12 months of insurance PLUS the $70 deductible.. In the UK i would have just got a replacement in the shop (and I know i'm not in the UK and shouldn't compare, but suffering jaysus thats ridiculous!!)
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
Bev I didn't even get it reduced .. we could only get a month to month contract anyway... But what I can't get my head around is if this happened in 12 months time, I would have paid 12 months of insurance PLUS the $70 deductible.. In the UK i would have just got a replacement in the shop (and I know i'm not in the UK and shouldn't compare, but suffering jaysus thats ridiculous!!)
I suppose I'm lucky in that I can't compare the US to the UK as far as cell phones go.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 7:27 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow I think I'd be as pissed off as you....that is just taking the mickey...to make xxx payments per month and then have to cough up $70 as well..

Sounds like its not worth the paper its written on..Sorry..
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 7:31 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
I suppose I'm lucky in that I can't compare the US to the UK as far as cell phones go.
my phone broke last week, i took it to t-mobile shop and they ordered me a new one for free that turned up 3 days later. I dont have any insurance!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 7:33 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

If it wasn't your fault the hinge broke, why would you use insurance? That would make it a defective product and should be replaced for free. (I'm making that assumption based on your wording in the first post in that the first time she broke the phone, the second time the hinge broke).
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mellybrown
my phone broke last week, i took it to t-mobile shop and they ordered me a new one for free that turned up 3 days later. I dont have any insurance!
What was wrong with the phone Mel?

Originally Posted by neil
If it wasn't your fault the hinge broke, why would you use insurance? That would make it a defective product and should be replaced for free. (I'm making that assumption based on your wording in the first post in that the first time she broke the phone, the second time the hinge broke).

I got insurance because she broke the first one and it was REALLY expensive (in fairness to her she had it in her backpack and and somehow pressure was put on the screen and it caused a fault). T-Mobile told me that the hinge on the second phone wasn't covered under its warrenty.. and its not clear how it got broken it be fair.

I swear to you I had less hassle when we were burgled and had to claim for loads of household stuff!! - to be it just doesn't add up - and also had the girl in the shop, when explaining the wonderful benefits of the insurance, had told me that there was just a ridiculous deductible i wouldn't have purchased it.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lisag8070
Wow I think I'd be as pissed off as you....that is just taking the mickey...to make xxx payments per month and then have to cough up $70 as well..

Sounds like its not worth the paper its written on..Sorry..
I was soooo MAD Lisa... The whole mobile phone business here baffles me anyway! When we got our contracts originally we had to give my OH's SSN - but they still would only give us a month to month contract where we had to pay full price for the phones. I couldn't believe that - especially because we had just been and leased a $40,000 car with monthly payments of $450... and we can't even get a poxy mobile phone on a years contract :curse:

And.. and.. just while i'm having my little rant of the day - paying for incoming calls on your mobile - whats that all about
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear you're having cell troubles. The whole industry is wacked. Never personally bought insurance since I figured it wasn't worth it. I did have a few probs with a Nokia and since it was under the manufacturer's warranty, I contacted Nokia directly to get a replacement.

That deductible is just so not worth it imho.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:12 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

What was wrong with the phone Mel?

I got insurance because she broke the first one and it was REALLY expensive (in fairness to her she had it in her backpack and and somehow pressure was put on the screen and it caused a fault). T-Mobile told me that the hinge on the second phone wasn't covered under its warrenty.. and its not clear how it got broken it be fair.

I swear to you I had less hassle when we were burgled and had to claim for loads of household stuff!! - to be it just doesn't add up - and also had the girl in the shop, when explaining the wonderful benefits of the insurance, had told me that there was just a ridiculous deductible i wouldn't have purchased it.
The speaker wasnt working properly - i guess thats a phone fault rather than something i could have done myself
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:14 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

And.. and.. just while i'm having my little rant of the day - paying for incoming calls on your mobile - whats that all about
Actually this is one thing I prefer here. The mobile numbers are just regular numbers so no ridiculous 50p a minute charges for daring to call someone on a different mobile network. The flipside to that is your minutes also get used up on incoming calls - a reasonable trade off in my opinion. (Sucks if you're on a pay you go plan though - easy way round that though is to not answer your phone).
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:14 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

I was soooo MAD Lisa... The whole mobile phone business here baffles me anyway! When we got our contracts originally we had to give my OH's SSN - but they still would only give us a month to month contract where we had to pay full price for the phones. I couldn't believe that - especially because we had just been and leased a $40,000 car with monthly payments of $450... and we can't even get a poxy mobile phone on a years contract :curse:

yea...unfortunately it has a lot has to do with credit...which is built up with time in the US, (we had the same problem many moons ago) we're out of contract at the moment and I wanted to upgrade my phone..nothing fancy..just a nice flip phone...they wouldn't give me a 1 yr contract they wanted to tie me down with a 2 yr and to pay $200 for a bloody mediocre phone so I told them where to stick it..so I'm with you with the whole..:curse:
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

runningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nice

oh no bad day for you then..... I have a spare T-mobile handset if you want it - she wont like it because its not a ''Cool'' one but you can have it for free

let me know xx
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by runningbird
oh no bad day for you then..... I have a spare T-mobile handset if you want it - she wont like it because its not a ''Cool'' one but you can have it for free

let me know xx
Thanks sweetie... she is at last chance saloon as far as phones go.. if anything happens to this one she gets my shitty Virgin Mobile pay as you go one...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.