British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cell phone deals (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cell-phone-deals-719210/)

lyonsden1193 Jun 1st 2011 2:46 pm

Cell phone deals

Hopefully this helps someone especially if you keep close contact with relatives in UK. Just got a deal through T Mobile that gives me unlimited text and unlimited calls to land lines in UK for $10.00 extra a month. I was spending a fortune on transatlantic calls through ATT landline.. now gone!!
would be good if others could post deals they have found

Sheepdip Jun 1st 2011 4:18 pm

Re: Cell phone deals

I use Skype for calls back to the UK. Pretty reliable and cheap.

docholywood Jun 1st 2011 6:03 pm

Not all providers allow skype usage on thier data plans iirc unless you can suggest any that do? Also they may not have skype thier end as many uk providers def do not allow skype on mobile (i know there are ways round that but my parents wouldnt be able to do that!)
If you are using a pc then it is not as convenient as the Tmobile offer that the op has suggested.

Personally my time zone differences wool make it inconvenient to be at home to call friends and family so it would suit me perfectly thanks op!

fatbrit Jun 1st 2011 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193 (Post 9402691)
Hopefully this helps someone especially if you keep close contact with relatives in UK. Just got a deal through T Mobile that gives me unlimited text and unlimited calls to land lines in UK for $10.00 extra a month. I was spending a fortune on transatlantic calls through ATT landline.. now gone!!
would be good if others could post deals they have found

Just use Google Voice to connect you -- $0.02/min to UK landlines.

Or open a Callcentric account which you can use with any SIP device -- also $0.02/min.

You'd have to be on the phone to the UK more than 8 hours a month for the $10/month deal to be cheaper!

Bob Jun 1st 2011 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9403206)

You'd have to be on the phone to the UK more than 8 hours a month for the $10/month deal to be cheaper!

Unless you do a lot of texting...

Sheepdip Jun 1st 2011 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by docholywood (Post 9403128)
Not all providers allow skype usage on thier data plans iirc unless you can suggest any that do? Also they may not have skype thier end as many uk providers def do not allow skype on mobile (i know there are ways round that but my parents wouldnt be able to do that!)
If you are using a pc then it is not as convenient as the Tmobile offer that the op has suggested.

Personally my time zone differences wool make it inconvenient to be at home to call friends and family so it would suit me perfectly thanks op!

We're with Time Warner Cable and they don't need to have it at their end (if they do then it's free :thumbup: ). You can dial any number for very reasonable rates (from memory it's about 2c a minute to a UK landline).

I also don't have Skype on the PC. It's a dedicated Skype phone. All you need is a wi-fi connection (it even works in Starbucks!). I also have Skype on my Verizon cell phone.

The T-mobile deal sounds good but we've just re-signed with Verizon for another 2 years!!

lyonsden1193 Jun 1st 2011 7:14 pm

[You'd have to be on the phone to the UK more than 8 hours a month for the $10/month deal to be cheaper![/QUOTE]

Trouble is that I'm from a large herd 8 surviving out of 17 + old mates etc..ex wife etc ... I wish I could keep it that low!! + texting

fatbrit Jun 1st 2011 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9403259)
Unless you do a lot of texting...

I'm too old to text. With a smart phone, it's easier to just email, anyway.

TheCynick Jun 2nd 2011 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9403573)
I'm too old to text. With a smart phone, it's easier to just email, anyway.

Better value, too. $20/month for unlimited texting or $30/month for unlimited data? Gee whiz, I can't decide...

cheryl56 Jun 5th 2011 7:33 pm

I have Vonage.You have to have a internet connection.It's one flat fee per mth...approx $30 a mth and thats it :D You can call Europe and some other countries for free,doesn't cost any more.So if you have a lot of family in England etc it's great...hrs and hrs of chatting and it cost nothing :thumbsup: