Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Celebrities: Children first, marriage later

Celebrities: Children first, marriage later

Old Apr 13th 2006, 5:41 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Celebrities: Children first, marriage later

Has anyone ever noticed the number of celebrity couples in recent years who have children and then eventually get married??

There are celebrity couples who have been together forever, have publicly admitted to having no plans to marry and have children together. Susan Sarandon/Tim Robbins and Goldie Hawn/Kurt Russell come to mind. But these are not the celebrity couples I'm referring to.

I'm referring to celebrity couples who, in my opinion, got it backwards. Either they had their babies and then eventually married, became pregnant and then married before the child was born, or are currently pregnant and are engaged to be married. For instance...

Madonna and Guy Ritchie
Victoria and David Beckham
Jennie Garth and Peter Facinelli
Sean Penn and Robin Wright
Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin
Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes
Maggie Gyllenhaal and Peter Sarsgaard
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie
Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams
Kate Winslet and Sam Mendes
Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner

And those are just the ones I could think of off the top of my head!

Am I completely out of touch with how things are done these days? It just always seemed to me that people capable of earning millions of dollars would be aware of birth control methods that actually WORK. I have a difficult time believing that so many famous people are getting pregnant "accidentally".

Is it a Hollywood thing to get pregnant and then put off marriage until "whenever"? Is it because they have more financial security that they don't see the need to be married before having children? Or is this the societal norm now and I just haven't a clue??

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not really an old-fashioned thinker. I'm fairly open-minded about things. But this just seems strange to me.

~ Jenney
Old Apr 13th 2006, 5:47 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Celebrities: Children first, marriage later

I wonder if they have pre-non-nup agreements.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 5:52 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

call it fashion....
Old Apr 13th 2006, 5:54 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

I think they are just reflecting the trend in society today,to have children with or without marriage.

Personally I dont give a damn whether people have children and marry or not. As long as they stay together, bring up their children to be decent human beings it makes not a whit of difference. People have the choice to marry and many choose not to. Thats freedom of choice. Children are no longer labelled as bastards because they were born out of wedlock and that is a very welcome change. The superiority that some still feel in judging other peoples life arrangements is changing and hopefully it will only be the blinkered idealists who believe this is the right and only way...imo
Old Apr 13th 2006, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Joey-SO is a name known to allJoey-SO is a name known to allJoey-SO is a name known to allJoey-SO is a name known to allJoey-SO is a name known to allJoey-SO is a name known to allJoey-SO is a name known to allJoey-SO is a name known to allJoey-SO is a name known to allJoey-SO is a name known to allJoey-SO is a name known to all

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bastard

It is society, any conservatives?
Old Apr 13th 2006, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Has anyone ever noticed the number of celebrity couples in recent years who have children and then eventually get married??

There are celebrity couples who have been together forever, have publicly admitted to having no plans to marry and have children together. Susan Sarandon/Tim Robbins and Goldie Hawn/Kurt Russell come to mind. But these are not the celebrity couples I'm referring to.

I'm referring to celebrity couples who, in my opinion, got it backwards. Either they had their babies and then eventually married, became pregnant and then married before the child was born, or are currently pregnant and are engaged to be married. For instance...

Madonna and Guy Ritchie
Victoria and David Beckham
Jennie Garth and Peter Facinelli
Sean Penn and Robin Wright
Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin
Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes
Maggie Gyllenhaal and Peter Sarsgaard
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie
Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams
Kate Winslet and Sam Mendes
Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner

And those are just the ones I could think of off the top of my head!

Am I completely out of touch with how things are done these days? It just always seemed to me that people capable of earning millions of dollars would be aware of birth control methods that actually WORK. I have a difficult time believing that so many famous people are getting pregnant "accidentally".

Is it a Hollywood thing to get pregnant and then put off marriage until "whenever"? Is it because they have more financial security that they don't see the need to be married before having children? Or is this the societal norm now and I just haven't a clue??

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not really an old-fashioned thinker. I'm fairly open-minded about things. But this just seems strange to me.

~ Jenney
No, not noticed and don't care. On the other hand, I do love a Hollywood style marriage breakup. Unfortunately, in those circumstances, the only winners are the divorce attorneys!
Old Apr 13th 2006, 6:07 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
I think they are just reflecting the trend in society today,to have children with or without marriage.

Personally I dont give a damn whether people have children and marry or not. As long as they stay together, bring up their children to be decent human beings it makes not a whit of difference. People have the choice to marry and many choose not to. Thats freedom of choice. Children are no longer labelled as bastards because they were born out of wedlock and that is a very welcome change. The superiority that some still feel in judging other peoples life arrangements is changing and hopefully it will only be the blinkered idealists who believe this is the right and only way...imo
i agree, but she's saying that they DO get married afterwards on that list (or attempt to) so they obviously DO believe in it, unlike the others mentioned like Tim Robbins etc. who have it as a life choice.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 6:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If they get married they'll probably be divorced within the year.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 6:13 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I just get the impression that many of these couples are already engaged when they get pregnant, which makes me wonder why they don't simply wait until after their wedding to start a family?

Take Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, for example. They met, got engaged two months later, and a couple of months after that became pregnant. If they had already planning on getting married, then why get pregnant so soon? What's the rush? Why not just wait until they're married -- which they were going to do anyway -- and THEN start a family?

Then you have the enigma couple Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. He's already adopted her two children, they've changed the children's names to Jolie-Pitt, and she is currently pregnant with his child -- but for some reason they won't even admit that they're in a relationship together! What's THAT about!??

The only logical explanation for this is that their birth control failed. Which is what I find so interesting, because if that's the case then it's happening to A LOT of celebrities!

~ Jenney
I'm back!

Originally Posted by cutina
i agree, but she's saying that they DO get married afterwards on that list (or attempt to) so they obviously DO believe in it, unlike the others mentioned like Tim Robbins etc. who have it as a life choice.
Thanks, you've explained what I'm trying to say better than I have, I think!

~ Jenney
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Some do, some don't. Goldie and Kurt haven't married either and have no plans to and that has been a choice rather than not being able to marry.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 6:27 pm
stara koka masna juha

Some do, some don't. Goldie and Kurt haven't married either and have no plans to and that has been a choice rather than not being able to marry.
er... i don't think we're really disagreeing here

Originally Posted by jenney
There are celebrity couples who have been together forever, have publicly admitted to having no plans to marry and have children together. Susan Sarandon/Tim Robbins and Goldie Hawn/Kurt Russell come to mind. But these are not the celebrity couples I'm referring to
like i said and jenney said

i think my guy and i have decided not to marry (unless we move to italy for legal reasons), but we'll have kids.

but the ones who get pregant and then marry?
Old Apr 13th 2006, 6:34 pm
I'm back!

but the ones who get pregant and then marry?
... or the ones who get engaged, then get pregnant, THEN get married?

~ Jenney
Old Apr 13th 2006, 6:41 pm
stara koka masna juha

~ Jenney
... in a rush! i think it's for attention.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 6:41 pm
Junior Showtime

~ Jenney
As I said before I dont think celebs are on their own in this. Many people these days have children, get engaged and then get married. Or some do/all or none of these things. Some have their children as pages/bridesmaids, which horrifies my mothers generation Celebs are in the public eye and their behaviour is perhaps more noticeable, depending on how interested you are in their goings on. Mostly I dont notice as they dont really do anything that unusual...just me or interest worthy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.