Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CDW/LDW Car Rental Insurance

CDW/LDW Car Rental Insurance

Old Oct 17th 2009, 7:33 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Default CDW/LDW Car Rental Insurance

For anyone that has a Visa (Signature card), I found the docs online that confirms you DO NOT need to buy LDW/CDW when renting in the UK or USA if you use the card to rent the car.

Always knew it was true but Europcar say they want proof before you rent your car... In case you need to rent a car (US or abroad in future), here's the terms that clearly cover it - and how to claim if you need it!

http://usa.visa.com/personal/visa-si...age-waiver.jsp

As a total aside ; (I just paid $270 for one day car rental (or my company did). My flight from ATL to Milwaulkee was cancelled and I had to rent a car in Chicago and drive the $90 and return the car to Milwaulkee the next day. Bad enough, Hertz charge $170 a day, then the Government take 40%. End Whine )
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CDW/LDW Car Rental Insurance

I am looking at renting a car with Alamo (in the UK), however neither there insurance nor visa mention anything about 3rd party. If I have an at fault accident who pays as it is not mentioned in the insurance. very confusing.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:03 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by franc111s
For anyone that has a Visa (Signature card), I found the docs online that confirms you DO NOT need to buy LDW/CDW when renting in the UK or USA if you use the card to rent the car.

Always knew it was true but Europcar say they want proof before you rent your car... In case you need to rent a car (US or abroad in future), here's the terms that clearly cover it - and how to claim if you need it!

As a total aside ; (I just paid $270 for one day car rental (or my company did). My flight from ATL to Milwaulkee was cancelled and I had to rent a car in Chicago and drive the $90 and return the car to Milwaulkee the next day. Bad enough, Hertz charge $170 a day, then the Government take 40%. End Whine )
Hi:

It pays to call up the bank behind the Visa card. Some provide it, some don't. [Our US Bank card does, our old Chase card did not]. AmEx used to provide it as a matter of course, but now charge -- but a lot cheaper than the CDW/LDW.

Also, it may depend upon where the rental takes place -- Visa coverage does not cover all countries.

I also check just before leaving just to make sure the terms have not changed. On top of things, my own insurance covers me -- the problem is that the procedures to collect can be a bit dicey.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I am looking at renting a car with Alamo (in the UK), however neither there insurance nor visa mention anything about 3rd party. If I have an at fault accident who pays as it is not mentioned in the insurance. very confusing.
BTW, I recommend highly going through either Kemwel.com or autoeurope.com from the States before you go. You pay in advance in dollars. It is a lot cheaper than going through the rental companies directly. The last time I was in the UK, we got the car from Alamo. The last time in Germany, we obtained the car from National [which is now affiliated with Alamo]. The one in Germany was from the Berlin Hauptbahnhof rather than an airport -- they had so many cars in stock we were asked if we would "mind" having a diesel at no extra charge -- of course, we said yes.

[BTW, if one is an American renting a car in the UK, go for that automatic transmission even if you know how to drive stick.]
Old Oct 18th 2009, 9:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s

I've rented with Eurocar in the UK and I shall be doing so again next week...they have never asked me for proof.

If you are renting a car in the US your US auto insurance may cover you...ours does.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
BTW, I recommend highly going through either Kemwel.com or autoeurope.com from the States before you go. You pay in advance in dollars. It is a lot cheaper than going through the rental companies directly. The last time I was in the UK, we got the car from Alamo. The last time in Germany, we obtained the car from National [which is now affiliated with Alamo]. The one in Germany was from the Berlin Hauptbahnhof rather than an airport -- they had so many cars in stock we were asked if we would "mind" having a diesel at no extra charge -- of course, we said yes.

[BTW, if one is an American renting a car in the UK, go for that automatic transmission even if you know how to drive stick.]
Thanks for the info, I got a quote through Kemwel for $425.36 (autoeurope was higher). Right now I can get an automatic through Alamo for £238.49 ($390) including an additional driver. The only thing I was not sure about was the insurance as I do have a Visa that covers the CDW/LDW however I could not figure out 3rd party coverage but I did find the answer to my question and incase anyone else was wondering the same thing...

Third Party Insurance (TPI)
Third Party Insurance is compulsory under UK law and is included in your rental charge. Our Third Party Insurance insures against unlimited liability for death or bodily injury, and for damage to other peoples property up to a limit of GBP 25m.