Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CD Collection

CD Collection

Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:20 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default CD Collection

Today in the "on the edge", "take no prisoners", "Gung Ho" lifestyle I lead I decided to Alphabetise my CD collection (obviously again, it was alphabetised but because we have had so many visitors the bastards have disrupted my collection). I noticed several things while I was doing this.

1. I seem to have Dido and Norah Jones but never (on the death of vinyl) rebought any Clash, very few Elvis Costello, zero Duran Duran and no Sex Pistols. An oversight to say the least.

2. I have absolutly no CD's that are "not available in the shops" and as such have never had any "rushed" to me.

3. How the hell did so much MOTR music get into my CD collection.

I need to seriously rethink my CD collection, anyone want a Michael Bolton CD.

Patrick
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CD Collection

Originally posted by Patrick
my CD collection.

Patrick
Swap you for my "Best of Yanni"
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:28 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Heh heh...I just bought a Michael Bolton CD, but it was the first one, back when he rocked. I need a new shelving solution, as I attempted to alpabetize my collection but ran out of room at around "S". It is actually a really good idea as it saves time hunting for a particular CD rather than looking for it for hours. It's a bit time consuming though, and I hate putting them all nicely in the rack and then realizing I missed one and then have to rearrange them all again.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:32 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

My Spin Doctors CD is up for grabs along with some Lionel Ritchie and Mariah Carey. I don't know how they got there. Honest.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:37 pm
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!
crazi_daizi is an unknown quantity at this point

disturbingly I've found numerous Celine Dion Cds in my husbands collection - why didn't I notice before we got married?!:scared:
Old Jan 4th 2004, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

I've also been anal enough to sort my CD's into alphabetical order. I find I have far too many 'Best of..' CD's too.

I too have never had 'rush delivery' for anything 'while stocks last'.

One thing tho, there's very little that I'm embarrassed about. even with the 'Best of Europop 1995' or whatever. No Michael or Celine here.....
Old Jan 4th 2004, 11:37 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
Today in the "on the edge", "take no prisoners", "Gung Ho" lifestyle I lead I decided to Alphabetise my CD collection (obviously again, it was alphabetised but because we have had so many visitors the bastards have disrupted my collection). I noticed several things while I was doing this.

1. I seem to have Dido and Norah Jones but never (on the death of vinyl) rebought any Clash, very few Elvis Costello, zero Duran Duran and no Sex Pistols. An oversight to say the least.

2. I have absolutly no CD's that are "not available in the shops" and as such have never had any "rushed" to me.

3. How the hell did so much MOTR music get into my CD collection.

Patrick
Patrick. You should've done what I did before I left the UK. I went through my vast music collection (mostly vinyl & CD) and ditched the stuff I would no longer listen to today.

Since moving to the US, I bought a nice CD stand and arranged all my CDs in alphabetical order.

When I was back in the UK at Christmas, my brother admitted to retrieving some of the vinyl (he mentioned the Bucks Fizz albums) I had junked and has kept it myself. Then again, he has really eclectic tastes but I don't believe he has a record played to play the records on.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Heh heh...I just bought a Michael Bolton CD, but it was the first one, back when he rocked.
Eh? words I never thought I'd read.

My CD collection is still in travel cases, as I had so many, I just binned the original packing and just kept the inside sleeve and CD. However, my 600 hundred plus vinal records still sit at my parents house, as I never got around to selling them, much to their annoyence!. Still, least they dont have the original 1200 plus that I originally use to have before moving
Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:12 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Patrick. You should've done what I did before I left the UK. I went through my vast music collection (mostly vinyl & CD) and ditched the stuff I would no longer listen to today.

Since moving to the US, I bought a nice CD stand and arranged all my CDs in alphabetical order.

When I was back in the UK at Christmas, my brother admitted to retrieving some of the vinyl (he mentioned the Bucks Fizz albums) I had junked and has kept it myself. Then again, he has really eclectic tastes but I don't believe he has a record played to play the records on.

NC Penguin
Before we moved we sat in lounge one day and went through our CD's supposedly throwing out those we don't listen to - the cull obviously wasn't good enough - you should see some of the crap I was looking at today, I had momentry lapses of reason when I bought them

Patrick
Old Jan 5th 2004, 3:10 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Eh? words I never thought I'd read.

Well, I am a David Hasselhoff fan.....
Old Jan 5th 2004, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

ireland132 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to add my (50) cents worth.

1) Michael Bolton never ever ever ever ever "rocked"

2) get an ipod - if you buy the 40GB one you'll never worry about your cd collection again (I only have a modest 10GB but it's pretty amazing).

3) I brought all my CDs (1000 plus) and all my vinyl (about 200 almbums) with me to LA and have just put assembled cupboards for the vinyl (amongst other things) this weekend. Now, all I need is a new turntable to play them (US power not being suitable for my UK one)

4) Vinyl is heavy.

5) Alphabetical is good. Sort of.

6) Patrick. Go out and buy (or download it since you bought it all those years ago) "London Calling" and play it loud.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 4:22 pm
Skyscrapered

Haggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by ireland132
3) I brought all my CDs (1000 plus) and all my vinyl (about 200 almbums) with me to LA and have just put assembled cupboards for the vinyl (amongst other things) this weekend. Now, all I need is a new turntable to play them (US power not being suitable for my UK one)
How much did it cost to ship the 1000 cds? I'll be bringing 500+ with me and is something I have been fretting over for some time. Just got rid of a couple hundred too.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

ireland132 is an unknown quantity at this point

The CDs were part of an "all my belongings shipment" which was about 900 cubic feet and cost about 3000 quid (plus insurance which was another 400 quid), but it really was everything i.e. bedroom furniture, dining table, chairs, books, hifi, linen, pictures, more books, videos, dvds, etc...

Companies would ship a few boxes for you. Get a few round for a quote. I had a bad shipping experience with a company called Excess Baggage. They were not upfront about delivery lengths and delays.

Our stuff left our house in UK on September 4th
We left UK on September 11th
We had been assured delivery would be 6-8weeks, maybe 10 at the very most

Anyway, our stuff arrived after 14 weeks. It was stuck in US customs for about 6 weeks, but it also missed it's shipping date in the UK and hung around there for 3 weeks. They conveniently never told us about this and never returned calls or emails.

Thought I should warn you.

However, baggage allowances to US are very generous. My wife and I were allowed 2 x 32kg each on Virgin, plus we paid another 50 quid (should have been each, but I think they were being friendly) to take another 2 x 32kg cases. That is a serious amount of luggage.

FYI - my 2 macsweens haggis (1 x normal, 1 x vegetarian) are being brought over at the end of January. Burns night ya bas!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:58 am
Skyscrapered

Haggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the info - good to know. I'm only taking a few items plus the cds, books and DVDs. Nothing big.

Do they let you take haggis in? I was just making do with eating as much of the stuff over here as I could before I go.