Reload this Page >

CC education options in LA when working FT

CC education options in LA when working FT

Old May 8th 2014, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Powka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CC education options in LA when working FT

Hello!

I'm currently living in LA and working from 6am to 3pm M-F. It's a good office job that I like and it pays decent. However, my aspirations are within creative writing field and I want to start pursuing that. I'm 24 at the moment, and since I don't have the time or the cash, I'd like to go just to a community college.

What are my options in this case? Anybody has any intel on part-time writing/English courses in any of LA's community colleges?

Thanks so much!
Old May 8th 2014, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CC education options in LA when working FT

Originally Posted by Powka
Hello!
I'm currently living in LA and working from 6am to 3pm M-F. It's a good office job that I like and it pays decent. However, my aspirations are within creative writing field and I want to start pursuing that. I'm 24 at the moment, and since I don't have the time or the cash, I'd like to go just to a community college.
What are my options in this case? Anybody has any intel on part-time writing/English courses in any of LA's community colleges?
Look into Santa Monica Community College.
It's a bit grungy..but depending on course and professor - can be fantastic and CHEAP if you're resident here.
The courses with the best profs fill up immediately...so you must get yourself enrolled as soon as enrollment opens!
I'm going to look up some useful links and will post a follow up....

ps: http://www.smc.edu/EnrollmentDevelop...s/default.aspx

Last edited by MMcD; May 8th 2014 at 7:19 pm. Reason: added link
Old May 8th 2014, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I think Northridge is quite strong on creative writing classes.
Don't know if they have short classes but you could investigate.
http://www.csun.edu/english/index.php

It's also the location that doubles for Starfleet Headquarters in the new Star Trek movies.
Old May 8th 2014, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

.....and here's another link which I used myself...and found it to be fantastically helpful/accurate:

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/Sele...r.jsp?sid=1371

In other words...once you've narrowed down the courses that might interest you and gotten names of the profs....use this site to see what their students have to say about them.

PS: http://www2.smc.edu/schedules/2014/summer/ - Click on English/Creative Writing - this is for a short summer session which begins soon

There's also the UCLA Extension Program - but it's VERY pricey. If SMC works for you - I'd highly recommend it!

Here's a link to the Professor's rating (he looks great with a wild sense of humour)...http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/Show...jsp?tid=256477

Last edited by MMcD; May 8th 2014 at 9:11 pm. Reason: changed link + add'l. info
Old May 8th 2014, 9:13 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
I think Northridge is quite strong on creative writing classes.
Don't know if they have short classes but you could investigate.
http://www.csun.edu/english/index.php

It's also the location that doubles for Starfleet Headquarters in the new Star Trek movies.
CSUN is not a community college, it is a four year school.

FWIW, David Gerrold ["Trouble With Tribbles"] is a graduate of the school [before it became "CSUN." My degree reads CSUN, but I graduated just as they changed the name].
Old May 8th 2014, 9:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

Thanks so much!
Good luck with your desire to study writing in college. In the meantime, you should just write, write, write, about anything and everything. "Doing" is the best way to get started.
Old May 8th 2014, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Look at this...(It's the guy who teaches the creative writing course at SMC that I've already linked you to above) I'm beginning to wonder whether I should sign up for this course, I'm pretty intrigued)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Krusoe

http://www.amazon.com/Parsifal-Jim-K...owViewpoints=1
http://www.amazon.com/Iceland-Americ...m_cr_pr_sims_t

Last edited by MMcD; May 8th 2014 at 9:58 pm.
Old May 8th 2014, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
CSUN is not a community college, it is a four year school.
I know, my wife graduated from there

That's why I also wrote, "Don't know if they have short classes but you could investigate."

I was just thinking of it as it has a good rep. But what do I know...
Old May 9th 2014, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Powka is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the responses, guys!

Santa Monica College sounds good, and it seems they do have a creative writing course. However, I'm a little confused with the information that's provided as their website is a little outdated.

http://www2.smc.edu/schedules/2014/summer/ - this is the creative writing course, but it's too confusing!

Based on the info provided there, does that mean I can attend classes in the evenings, 6:30p-9:40p? And when I finish in August, I'll get 3 credits for that?

This one is more about the actual education system: do I pick all of subjects myself, or can I pick, for example, 2-year Associates Degree in Creative Writing, which will then come with all the necessary units, subjects, etc. spread out through the whole 2 years? The only problem is that I need to attend classes in the evenings, from 5pm.
Old May 9th 2014, 4:37 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
I know, my wife graduated from there

That's why I also wrote, "Don't know if they have short classes but you could investigate."

I was just thinking of it as it has a good rep. But what do I know...
I appreciate the reference to a "good rep."

I've been back a few times for some alumni lectures. The place has changed. The 10-year old shrubbery has turned into full grown trees in the last 40 years. Also, there was the remodeling as a result of the building demolitions of the morning of January 17, 1994.
Old May 9th 2014, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And because of the attack on Starfleet....
Old May 9th 2014, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Santa Monica College sounds good, and 1. it seems they do have a creative writing course. However, I'm a little confused with the information that's provided as 2. their website is a little outdated.

http://www2.smc.edu/schedules/2014/summer/ - this is the creative writing course, but it's too confusing!

3. Based on the info provided there, does that mean I can attend classes in the evenings, 6:30p-9:40p? And when I finish in August, I'll get 3 credits for that?

This one is more about the actual education system: do I pick all of subjects myself, or can I pick, for example,4. 2-year Associates Degree in Creative Writing, which will then come with all the necessary units, subjects, etc. spread out through the whole 2 years? The only problem is that I need to attend classes in the evenings, from 5pm.
This probably should be a PM...but never mind, here goes.....

1. What do you mean by saying "It seems.........?
It's precisely what I linked you to (see my posts) Isn't it?

2. "Outdated"? My link shows the summer session. It doesn't begin till sometime in June. So...
a) Hardly outdated
b)What's confusing you?
If it's that the 2 classes labeled 30A and 30B are listed at same time, on same days with same professor - it's because it's a combined class (pragmatically, one and the same).
I did learn that when I phoned up (for you... ),...see item 4 below

3.Yes and yes

4.They don't offer an Associates Degree in Creative Writing. This is something you probably wouldn't know from the web site.
I took the trouble to research this for you Mr Powka -( ahem... took a bit of doing )

I actually spoke to the Administrative Assistant in the English Dept:
Joanne Lawrance 310-434-4242
Office hours: M-Fri 7:00-4:00
And here's a link to the English Department web page:

http://www.smc.edu/AcademicPrograms/...s/default.aspx

I also managed to unearth the phone number for the professor I mentioned yesterday - who is teaching that evening class:

James Krusoe:
Direct office number: 310-434-4541
Office hours: Mon,Wed. 5:25 - 6:40
Tues. Thurs. 11:25-12:40
Why not give him a ring to resolve your questions?
Also:
1. You should find out whether (based on how long you can prove you've been resident in LA), you'll qualify for the low residents fees.
BTW: you have a green card, right?....which means you'd not be classified as an Int'l. Student
2. The Summer Course is very intensive (what's ordinarily spread over 16 wks. is concentrated into 8)
That's something you might want to ask Krusoe about (workload when working full time....)

English – Creative Writing
ENGL 30A, Beginning Creative Writing 3 units
Transfer: UC, CSU • Prerequisite: English 1.

This course is designed to introduce students to the craft and technique involved in writing short fiction and/or poetry.

*Maximum UC transfer credit 3 units.

1333 8:00a-10:05a MTWTh DRSCHR 215 Lemon W R

4033 6:30p-9:40p MW DRSCHR 212 Krusoe J A

Above section 4033 meets for 8 weeks, Jun 23 to Aug 13.

ENGL 30B, Advanced Creative Writing 3 units

Transfer: UC, CSU • Prerequisite: English 30A.

This course continues the student’s training in the craft and technique of writing short fiction or poetry, and introduces creative non-fiction.

*Maximum UC transfer credit 3 units.

1334 8:00a-10:05a MTWTh DRSCHR 215 Lemon W R

4034 6:30p-9:40p MW DRSCHR 212 Krusoe J A

Above section 4034 meets for 8 weeks, Jun 23 to Aug 13.
Old May 9th 2014, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MMcD
There's also the UCLA Extension Program - but it's VERY pricey.
I've been in the UCLA Extension Screenwriting program for the last 9 months and it is excellent but yes, pricey.

They're running a scholarship program that you could look into though. Applications must be in by June 30th.

http://bit.ly/1ozgCtp

Last edited by scrubbedexpat027; May 9th 2014 at 11:03 pm.