Reload this Page >

CBT Therapy Jobs?

CBT Therapy Jobs?

Old Oct 4th 2013, 12:49 am
Just Joined

Talkwell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CBT Therapy Jobs?

Hi all,

Apologises if this is in the wrong section.

I'm just looking for some advice, I am a qualified CBT Therapist and I have a private practice here in the UK. I am hoping to move to New York next spring with my wife.

What are the job prospects in the US for this line of work? Would my qualification be recognised there, or would I need to do some transition courses?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Oct 4th 2013, 1:19 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CBT Therapy Jobs?

First off, have you considered what visa would be most appropriate for you? Generally speaking you must be sponsored by either an individual (family member) or an employer for a visa in order to move to the US to live and work - although there are also some 'self sponsored' visas.

See this Wiki entry as a starting point:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways%3A_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA
Old Oct 4th 2013, 1:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, if one of you isn't a US citizen, it's all down to which visa you qualify for. Some allow spouses to work, others don't etc.

Any thing like this, well it'll depend on the state, so start by googling NY state requirements to get certified, but at a guess you'll be starting from scratch and the UK skills/qualifications won't mean anything, which is often the case.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 1:38 am
Just Joined

Thank you both for your replies. The visa shouldn't be an issue as I both of us have family living there. I have been googling, but still haven't found anything concrete. Mine main concern is the transfer of qualifications and weather there is demand for CBT therapists.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 1:41 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Close family? You might think we aren't answering your question, but honestly unless we nail down that you actually have a prospect of moving all the rest is moot.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 1:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Close family? You might think we aren't answering your question, but honestly unless we nail down that you actually have a prospect of moving all the rest is moot.
And they need to be US citizens to have any realistic point in bothering with other research at this point too.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
And they need to be US citizens to have any realistic point in bothering with other research at this point too.
And even then the wait could be much, much longer than next spring. Longer as in over a decade longer.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:06 am
Just Joined

I understand, and I appreciate your input. Yes, my family members are all US citizens. But there maybe a long wait to move over?
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:09 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you are a qualified medical doctor or a psychologist with a doctorate you are going to struggle to get your qualifications recognised....or to get indemnity insurance.

The US is very different to the UK in terms of psychotherapy delivery
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:30 am
Just Joined

Wow! Really? That is some disturbing news.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:37 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Talkwell
Wow! Really? That is some disturbing news.
Do you have a core profession?......Most professions struggle to register and more so to get a visa in the first place.

There are some very powerful vested interest groups in America and any form of psychotherapy is heavily controlled.

I have been a CBT therapist for over 35 years although have not lived in the US......I have heard this question crop up many times over the years.

You may be able to sort something out if you can get a visa in the first place.

Good luck.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 4:01 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I understand, and I appreciate your input. Yes, my family members are all US citizens. But there maybe a long wait to move over?
Hi,

If you could tell us what the relationship to the US citizen is we could then give you a much more realistic update on the waiting times. It varies between less than a year for say a minor who is the child of a USC all the way upto several years for a married person who is the sister of a US citizen.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 4:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Hi,

If you could tell us what the relationship to the US citizen is we could then give you a much more realistic update on the waiting times. It varies between less than a year for say a minor who is the child of a USC all the way upto several years for a married person who is the sister of a US citizen.
The several years being around 10-12 years.

If they're an aunt/uncle they won't be able to sponsor.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 4:32 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The several years being around 10-12 years.

If they're an aunt/uncle they won't be able to sponsor.
Yea, that long was my general understanding too but wasn't sure of the current timelines. It could be a bit of a wait.

Last edited by penguinsix; Oct 4th 2013 at 9:34 am.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 6:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on the family members you have - exactly what relationship to you are they? Parent/sibling?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.