British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   CBP / GOES interview for Global Entry tomorrow (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cbp-goes-interview-global-entry-tomorrow-868874/)

nudda Dec 6th 2015 1:05 pm

CBP / GOES interview for Global Entry tomorrow

Hi all,

As per subject.
I have read the letter and it says just bring your passport and be at the interview center at the designated time.

Does anyone know what to expect when I get there?
Any hints/tips?
Any way I can prepare?

Thanks

CarefulTaxpayer Dec 6th 2015 2:51 pm

Re: CBP / GOES interview for Global Entry tomorrow

I was in the very first batch of applicants, so it may have changed since then. However, I have only one important hint: be 100% truthful and candid, even overly candid. It's NOT a high stress interrogation, just a few questions. My guess is that they're seeing if you are, indeed, a "trusted" traveler. Trust involves truth. In my case, they asked two or three clarifying questions on my application. Then the agent asked "have you ever been arrested?". I thought, and said, "no, unless that includes traffic stops where I get a ticket?" He asked how many tickets I'd gotten, and I said "4 over the past 20 years, but none in the last 10". He looked at his screen and said "good, that's correct".

Spooky, no? I don't know if he actually had that information on his screen. If not, he faked me out really well.

It's not a big deal. Just be honest. Much of the US system is based on that, and it works.

lansbury Dec 6th 2015 4:34 pm

I did mine a few months back. Total time less then 10 minutes tops. Fingerprints taken, photo taken, a few questions about myself and future plans. Passport checked for ID. All quite straightforward. In fact the most time taken was making sure I knew how to use the machines. I said I watched the videos on YouTube and the guy asked a few questions about the process and I was done.

CarefulTaxpayer Dec 6th 2015 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11808932)
I did mine a few months back. Total time less then 10 minutes tops. Fingerprints taken, photo taken, a few questions about myself and future plans. Passport checked for ID. All quite straightforward. In fact the most time taken was making sure I knew how to use the machines. I said I watched the videos on YouTube and the guy asked a few questions about the process and I was done.

That doesn't surprise me. I was probably in the first few thousand applicants, and the process would inevitably become more streamlined.

durham_lad Dec 6th 2015 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11808932)

Similar experience with me and my wife last year. All very easy and straight forward.

Mr Weeze Dec 6th 2015 9:44 pm

Did it about a year or so ago. Utter non-event. The video takes longer than the interview.

hungryhorace Dec 6th 2015 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by nudda (Post 11808859)
Hi all,

As per subject.
I have read the letter and it says just bring your passport and be at the interview center at the designated time.

Any hints/tips?
Any way I can prepare?

Thanks

It's easy. The officers who interviewed me were very nice. Joked about my driving conviction in the UK, and approved me there and then.

tonrob Dec 6th 2015 11:19 pm

Me too (few months ago). Piece of piss. Maybe 3-4 minutes of discussion, most of it telling me how to use machines.

nudda Dec 7th 2015 12:06 am

thanks all. I will certainly be truthful - who wouldnt be for opting themselves in for global entry!

hungryhorace Dec 7th 2015 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by nudda (Post 11809133)
thanks all. I will certainly be truthful - who wouldnt be for opting themselves in for global entry!

Someone who doesn't want to give up their biometric data to the US government.

nudda Dec 8th 2015 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11809540)

doesnt make sense. Anyone opting in for this knows they will take some form of biometric data. Only those who have nothing to hide will provide the data

hungryhorace Dec 8th 2015 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by nudda (Post 11810166)
doesnt make sense. Anyone opting in for this knows they will take some form of biometric data.

The question was why would a person not wish to join GE. I have provided a perfectly valid answer to this question.

Only those who have nothing to hide will provide the data
Nothing to hide? OK Stalin.

tht Dec 8th 2015 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11809540)

I thought all VW visitors / visa holders already do bio-metrics on entry?

tht Dec 8th 2015 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by nudda (Post 11808859)
Hi all,

As per subject.

Any hints/tips?
Any way I can prepare?

Thanks

Since yesterday was tomorrow when you posted, how did it go, were you approved?

If so did they stick something to your ID, the stuck a small white sticker on my GC that says CBP, which I have had questions about from check in agents at airports, one even wanted to remove it...

hungryhorace Dec 8th 2015 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by tht (Post 11810217)
I thought all VW visitors / visa holders already do bio-metrics on entry?

They do. What relevance is that to US Citizens though?