Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CATS EYES !! and WHITE LINES !!

CATS EYES !! and WHITE LINES !!

Old Jan 17th 2006, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CATS EYES !! and WHITE LINES !!

Originally Posted by rushman
Funny how super powers are, the only roads worse than the one's around here that I've driven on were in Russia.
Indeed. Every time I come back to the US and drive home from the airport, the condition of the freeways makes me think I'm in a third world country. What you have to remember is that in the US there is a complete aversion to paying taxes, so anything that is publically funded is likely to be crap, in my experience.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

I think denmark is the only country in the world that has every part of its road network lit.
Granted the country is only about 2 miles wide, but still its pretty impressive that a small country in the middle of europe knows how important it is to keep its residents alive by lighting its roads!
Old Jan 17th 2006, 11:35 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by broma25
Same thing here in Pensylvannia, great driving in good weather conditions. But even a small shower on a 3 lane highway im lost!! No road markings, people weaving all over the show, it takes all concentration just to stay in lane.

No wonder they say dont worry whats behind you, in my opinion you dont have time to care (let alone take a quick peek in your rear view mirror), for fear of what may happen up front in that split second you just happen to look behind you.

I dont know whether the road surface is different here than in the UK, but I dont ever remember such horrendous driving conditions (expect for the snow covering the road markings).

It was funny to read this posting, as this is something my husband and I discuss every time we are out driving in the rain.
I'm glad it isn't just me.( We are in PA too) I expected US roads to be superb,given that it is the land of the car. OK in the day but at night I can never see where I'm going. The interstates seem very narrow for the giant cars on them and no one seems able to drive completely in one lane. I hadn't even noticed there were any cats eyes. Perhaps I should get those glasses!
Old Jan 17th 2006, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road

No cats eyes in CT. Ok, the snow plows but they don't seem to have the reflective paint on the white lines, just some dull white that you can't see when the roads are wet. Road signs are also very small and non-reflective if they are there at all. You have to be about ten feet away to read them.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Indeed. Every time I come back to the US and drive home from the airport, the condition of the freeways makes me think I'm in a third world country. What you have to remember is that in the US there is a complete aversion to paying taxes, so anything that is publically funded is likely to be crap, in my experience.

Hiya, thought it was only me thinking I was in a 3rd world country ...the roads around us in Houston are crap...I have low profile tyres on my new car and have had two flats in the spate of two months...maybe I should have kept my SUV or bought a tank...as for cats eyes dunno I'm too busy dodging the holes :scared:
Old Jan 17th 2006, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TruBrit
Hiya, thought it was only me thinking I was in a 3rd world country ...the roads around us in Houston are crap...I have low profile tyres on my new car and have had two flats in the spate of two months...maybe I should have kept my SUV or bought a tank...as for cats eyes dunno I'm too busy dodging the holes :scared:
And do they actually have drainage on American roads? They don't seem to know about having a camber in the road to allow the water to move (or gutters for that matter). The water builds up in puddles, freezes and splits the thin layer of tar.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BlightyBoy
And do they actually have drainage on American roads? They don't seem to know about having a camber in the road to allow the water to move (or gutters for that matter). The water builds up in puddles, freezes and splits the thin layer of tar.

guess it mus be difficult to build a road to adjust to the extreme weather conditions we have here. We don't get drizzly rain we get torrential downpours and it rained big time last night and the water just sits on the road doesn't run off...dunno if it's the quantity of rain that falls, lots of 'disabled ve-hicles on the road today lol I'm only a domestic engineer so what would I know about road construction except to say that to drive on them here is equivalent to taking your life in your own hands whatever the weather.... :scared:
Old Jan 17th 2006, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic thread as it lets me know I'm not alone in my feelings about US roads! I have made the comment that the place looks like a third world country many times.

There is a stretch of I-95 in Baltimore that goes round a very sharp curve (no idea how this got funding from the Interstate program with a curve like that). There are no cats eyes and the lane markings have been raked up and shifted so many times for various road works that you can barely see them, and if you can you don't know which ones are the correct lines! It's like a death trap when it's dark and raining.

Also, why is it that bridges have to be resurfaced in concrete separately to the rest of the road surface? The few good roads around here are ruined by bridges with concrete surfaces that are full of pot holes. They simply put a metal plate over one of the newer holes about four months ago.

Rant over.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlightyBoy
They don't seem to allow for adequate drainage where I live in CA. One road which I use regulary always floods whenever it rains ... it only has to rain for a couple of hours for that road to be closed, and it seems to take at least three days for the water to drain away each time. They are building new roads all the time and still don't seem to bother with adequate drainage, and most of the roads that are already in existence are full of holes ... every journey seems to be a bumpy ride!

As for the cats eyes ... I thought it was just me being stupid, I hate driving at night here because I can't see anything ... at least I now know I'm not the only one!
Old Jan 17th 2006, 5:36 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

And the reply is : (unconvincing).... RPM's !! I mentioned how much worse than Florida they are.... We also have only 2 snow ploughs in Atlanta !!! I also raised the fact the coloured cats eyes in Europe are good too..

---------------

Thank you for sharing your observation of our raised pavement markers (RPM) along our highways. One of the biggest differences between us and Florida is winter weather. On occasion as you know, we have to snow plow our routes. When we do this, it causes a loss of the RPM’s. We are aware of the problem you have identified. We have a project in place to replace all the RPM’s on our interstate. Our contractor will begin probably around March 2006. On non-interstate routes, we typically replace/enhance our RPM’s about every 2 years. Another new innovative pavement marking we have implemented on our interstates is wet reflective striping. This material, both on concrete or asphalt pavement, is more reflective than traditional striping material when it is wet due to inclement weather. We are the only state who utilizes this material so extensively. As we re-pave or re-construct our interstate system, we put this material down. So far in Atlanta it has been used on the concrete portions of I-285, I-75, I-85, and I-20. There are some sections of asphalt where it has been utilized as well, I-285 on the south side, and I-20 west of I-285 on the west side, to name a few. In terms of utilizing different colors, we have not pursued this yet. It has been considered and we are aware of it’s application in European countries (European marketers have met with us to discuss their innovative pavement markings, one of which is a solar powered lighted RPM).

One other note, although there is a need for RPM replacement/enhancement, Georgia is unique with it’s use. We were the first state in the nation to utilize them on all of our state routes (including interstates). To date, not all states are doing this still. Recently, as part of a statewide safety initiative, we are encouraging local governments to install the RPM’s on their routes as well. Some are beginning to do so, such as Cobb Co.

The location you identified will be looked into to determine if immediate attention is needed.

Again, I appreciate your concern and interest with our state highways. Citizens such as yourself do make a difference with our transportation system by getting involved. If I can be of further assistance related to state highways, please feel free to contact me.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 5:41 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s
And the reply is : (unconvincing).... RPM's !! I mentioned how much worse than Florida they are.... We also have only 2 snow ploughs in Atlanta !!! I also raised the fact the coloured cats eyes in Europe are good too..

---------------

Thank you for sharing your observation of our raised pavement markers (RPM) along our highways. One of the biggest differences between us and Florida is winter weather. On occasion as you know, we have to snow plow our routes. When we do this, it causes a loss of the RPM’s. We are aware of the problem you have identified. We have a project in place to replace all the RPM’s on our interstate. Our contractor will begin probably around March 2006. On non-interstate routes, we typically replace/enhance our RPM’s about every 2 years. Another new innovative pavement marking we have implemented on our interstates is wet reflective striping. This material, both on concrete or asphalt pavement, is more reflective than traditional striping material when it is wet due to inclement weather. We are the only state who utilizes this material so extensively. As we re-pave or re-construct our interstate system, we put this material down. So far in Atlanta it has been used on the concrete portions of I-285, I-75, I-85, and I-20. There are some sections of asphalt where it has been utilized as well, I-285 on the south side, and I-20 west of I-285 on the west side, to name a few. In terms of utilizing different colors, we have not pursued this yet. It has been considered and we are aware of it’s application in European countries (European marketers have met with us to discuss their innovative pavement markings, one of which is a solar powered lighted RPM).

One other note, although there is a need for RPM replacement/enhancement, Georgia is unique with it’s use. We were the first state in the nation to utilize them on all of our state routes (including interstates). To date, not all states are doing this still. Recently, as part of a statewide safety initiative, we are encouraging local governments to install the RPM’s on their routes as well. Some are beginning to do so, such as Cobb Co.

The location you identified will be looked into to determine if immediate attention is needed.

Again, I appreciate your concern and interest with our state highways. Citizens such as yourself do make a difference with our transportation system by getting involved. If I can be of further assistance related to state highways, please feel free to contact me.
RPM ???
I could go off on one here, but I won't. Suffice it to say that I can't believe that you got a reply so quickly - sterling work.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:37 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realize how much I relied on cats eyes and white lines until I moved here. The first time out on the road at night and I was totally screwed. It didn't help that street lights were few and far between. Some of the, as we call them, dual carriageways don't have any lights at all, so with now cats eyes and few white lines you just had to hope you could drive in a straight line. We have reflective studs where roads merge but not on the regular roads.

One thing that totally scared the crap out of me was turning left across a junction. In the UK if two cars were coming in opposite directions both turning left they would pass from behind. Here they pass in front and the first time that happens it kind of scares you a little.

It also takes some getting used to be able to pass on the left or right on the interstate. It kind of reminded me of driving round Hyde Park and Marble Arch during rush hour.