Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Catch 22 with somewhere to live and bank account

Wikiposts

Catch 22 with somewhere to live and bank account

Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Catch 22 with somewhere to live and bank account

Originally Posted by PickledOnion
Yeah, i think I will have to go that route. HSBC has US branches. I forgot to say I had looked at that option but I wanted a physical branch to go into. HSBC has actual offices in the NE and NW but in Tx which is why I was looking at a US centric account.

Just seems an odd situation that I am sure I am not the first to experience.
I had an UK HSBC account when I first moved here and used that to start off, I just visitted my nearest US branch and introduced myself, the manager was very helpfull for the short time I used the atm there on odd occasions. and I decided to join Kate with a joint account at Evergreen (Banknorth) much to my error cos the company is crap.... should have stayed with HSBC
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

A few thoughts:

1. Are you moving for work? In our case, my company paid the initial rent/security deposit, and deducted them from my first pay check, so we had time to get a bank account sorted by the time it came to the second month.

2. Again, if you're moving for work, using the bank that your company uses, with an introduction from them, might help to smooth the process of getting an account.

3. You can get a bank account with just a hotel or a business address as the address for correspondence. Friends have done this.

4. While lots of landlords will want to do credit checks etc. which won't work without a SSN, not all will.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:14 am
Just Joined

PickledOnion is an unknown quantity at this point

Great advice from all of you so thanks very much.

It has all eased my mind - my main concern was the address situation but it is clearly very different how an address is used in the US compared to here in the UK.

I hope to return the help one day!