Catch 22 with somewhere to live and bank account

Wikiposts

Catch 22 with somewhere to live and bank account

Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:19 am
Just Joined

PickledOnion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Catch 22 with somewhere to live and bank account

Hi,

I have searched the wiki and see how I could increase my credit rating when i get to San Antonio later this year. I have also done research on renting property while there and so on.

However, I seem to be in a catch 22: I wouldn't be able to rent a property as I don't have a US bank account to pay the bills (I understand that I couldn't set up a Direct Debit from my UK Bank account).

but here's the thing: I can't get a US bank account without an address.

Keep in mind that when I arrive I will live in temporary accommodation (friends house) until I can get a more permanent rental agreement sorted out.

I don't think an option of using my friends house as an address would fly when opening an account?

Anyone got experience of this?

PS. I know I am not the first to move the US so I am sure I am missing something obvious
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Catch 22 with somewhere to live and bank account

There are banks that have branches worldwide, have you thought about an account in one of these? Surely, you could do a direct deposit for rent from them.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:27 am
Just Joined

Yeah, i think I will have to go that route. HSBC has US branches. I forgot to say I had looked at that option but I wanted a physical branch to go into. HSBC has actual offices in the NE and NW but in Tx which is why I was looking at a US centric account.

Just seems an odd situation that I am sure I am not the first to experience.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see any reason why you couldn't use your friend's address - or use your office address.

Are you planning to do a house hunting trip prior to the actual move? We did that and were able to sign a lease during that trip. We also opened our bank account during that week, but I can't remember if we used our rental address (which would have been based on the lease application as we hadn't signed the agreement at that point) or if we used my husband's office address. I'm pretty sure it was the office address - either way we managed to do it!

In fact - we had our own catch 22 on that trip, as we needed the expenses money from my husband's company to pay for the deposit for the rental, but couldn't get that until we had a US bank account! Luckily we managed to get it all achieved - we looked at rentals on a Sunday, opened a bank account on the Monday and gave the details to his employer, money was available for cashier's cheques on the Thursday when we signed the lease!

Last edited by rebs; Jun 24th 2009 at 2:32 am. Reason: Added more details...
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:30 am
Have Visa will travel SFO

rwoodfine is a jewel in the roughrwoodfine is a jewel in the roughrwoodfine is a jewel in the roughrwoodfine is a jewel in the rough

I have just literally created such an account with Citibank, I went in to Monuument branch in london last Wednesday and I now have a debit card to withdraw dollars and a dollar cheque book. I have a esavings account that i can credit in the UK and then move the money as and when to my dollar account, one thing to know here is the exchange rate is fantastic compared to just about all other methods.

Hope this helps
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:32 am
Just Joined

I don't plan on doing a house hunting trip prior to moving. My friend has been tremendously generous and is letting me stay for as long as it takes (I won't stand still in my hunt).

I think perhaps I was thinking too deeply with regards to the address. I didn't want to put my friend in a position where I used his address and he wasn't 100% conformable with that.

I never though of using my office address.

Thanks to rwoodfine as well for your experience. Makes me feel more confident in approaching this!

See, told you I was missing obvious things
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PickledOnion
I don't plan on doing a house hunting trip prior to moving. My friend has been tremendously generous and is letting me stay for as long as it takes (I won't stand still in my hunt).

I think perhaps I was thinking too deeply with regards to the address. I didn't want to put my friend in a position where I used his address and he wasn't 100% conformable with that.

I never though of using my office address.

Thanks to rwoodfine as well for your experience. Makes me feel more confident in approaching this!

See, told you I was missing obvious things
The address is simply a place for the bank to send any correspondance to you. It is not, in any way, linked to your credit or your friends credit, if that's what you are worried about. I think in the UK, an address is somewhat important, since your credit rating is linked to that? In the US, your credit is solely linked to your Social Security Number, not an address. So it shouldn't make your friend uncomfy.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
The address is simply a place for the bank to send any correspondance to you. It is not, in any way, linked to your credit or your friends credit, if that's what you are worried about. I think in the UK, an address is somewhat important, since your credit rating is linked to that? In the US, your credit is solely linked to your Social Security Number, not an address. So it shouldn't make your friend uncomfy.
aha! this is making much more sense.

Thanks so much for all the replies!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, agreed - I used my sisters address, and she lives in another State!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:13 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PickledOnion
Hi,

I have searched the wiki and see how I could increase my credit rating when i get to San Antonio later this year. I have also done research on renting property while there and so on.

However, I seem to be in a catch 22: I wouldn't be able to rent a property as I don't have a US bank account to pay the bills (I understand that I couldn't set up a Direct Debit from my UK Bank account).

but here's the thing: I can't get a US bank account without an address.

Keep in mind that when I arrive I will live in temporary accommodation (friends house) until I can get a more permanent rental agreement sorted out.

I don't think an option of using my friends house as an address would fly when opening an account?

Anyone got experience of this?

PS. I know I am not the first to move the US so I am sure I am missing something obvious

Open a UK Amex account now. You may just have enough history to xfer the account.

A bank account won't give you a credit rating. Do a secured card and play by the rules listed here.

You can open a bank account with no address. Just ask the personal banker to hold your bank mail and pick it up at the branch. The only thing difficult in opening a bank account is not doing it in person.

Your bank account is active the day you open it. They usually give you some emergency checks.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
They usually give you some emergency checks.
Which will be accepted at about 3 places in the whole country.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Yeah..the 'emergency' checks are a total joke. If you get them, you may as well shred/burn them.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:05 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah..the 'emergency' checks are a total joke. If you get them, you may as well shred/burn them.
Don't you remember back in the day though? Filling in your own info on it, and so proud you had your first checking account.
AND they were accepted, at stores even!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:20 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
You can pay the apartment rental with them. I did.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Barclays are linked to BoA

Anyway, just use your work address or mates address, won't be a problem changing it when you get your own place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.