Cat Flying

Old Jan 15th 2011, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cat Flying

Originally Posted by rpjs
Shipping our cat was expensive, and we hated making her have to go through being flown across the Atlantic (she hates just going in a car) but it was worth it, and she seems to really like it here in the US, or at least our little temporary apartment! But we coul;dn't leave her behind: she adopted us the week before we got married - our "wedding present from God" my wife likes to say
Ahhhh. I'm pleased for you. You do what you think is right at the time. My cat was scared of her own shadow, I personally was terrified that she wouldn't make the flight. I rather felt damned if I did and damned if I didn't, you know? I made the choice that seemed right at the time.
Just wish I could have had her with me here.
Old May 8th 2011, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

CandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really nice

Our Cat went in for his Rabies injection yesterday (So well behaved, may I add, didnt even flinch and then was happy as if nothing happened right after)

Will we need to have a rabies titer or anything like that proving that he has the correct anount of rabies antibodies in his system or will a rabies certificate from the vet suffice?

Thanks!
Old May 9th 2011, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Infowarrior will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CandK
Our Cat went in for his Rabies injection yesterday (So well behaved, may I add, didnt even flinch and then was happy as if nothing happened right after)

Will we need to have a rabies titer or anything like that proving that he has the correct anount of rabies antibodies in his system or will a rabies certificate from the vet suffice?

Thanks!
You don't need the rabies vaccine for the USA. I moved here 5 days ago with two cats who got vaccinated for feline enteritis and leukemia. We were going to do the rabies one until we realised it was optional. We used Airpets to ship the cats, they were exceptional. Hope this helps.
Old May 9th 2011, 10:59 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Infowarrior
You don't need the rabies vaccine for the USA. I moved here 5 days ago with two cats who got vaccinated for feline enteritis and leukemia. We were going to do the rabies one until we realised it was optional. We used Airpets to ship the cats, they were exceptional. Hope this helps.
Yup, same here. As ours are mostly outdoors we had them jabbed once we got here (it was cheaper for a start!)
Old May 9th 2011, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Infowarrior
The US federal government doesn't require cats to have rabies jabs, but the state you're importing the cat into might - New York certainly does. I don't know if US Customs at the airport cares about and enforces the state law but why take a chance? Also if circumstances change and you need to return to the UK and bring the cat back, it's a lot easier if the cat has been vaccinated and has a valid pet passport.
Old May 9th 2011, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by keaki80
Good luck to you CandK. I left my cat with my sister when I moved here, and it was one of the saddest moments, saying goodbye. She was going to a great home, I knew all that; but it makes me cry even now to remember how she came running into the room when my sister was playing a video I had sent, and she heard my voice.
A couple of years later she got run over and had to be put to sleep - again something I can't forget, or forgive myself for. What seems worse is she would have had a wonderful home here if I had been "brave enough" to bring her with me.

All very silly to non-cat lovers; but it still upsets me to this day. So all the best to you and your cat. I hope it all goes smoothly for you.
Anyone who thinks you're silly can go screw! I'll bet deciding whether or not to take your pets with you when you move abroad is one of the hardest decisions.