Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cashing in UK pension and moving money to USA

Cashing in UK pension and moving money to USA

Old Oct 17th 2020, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cashing in UK pension and moving money to USA

As Pulaski says you pay up to 6 years NI in arrears PLUS the current year so when I applied February one year it felt more like 7 back years. I was sitting behind my wife while she was on the phone to the folks in Newcastle, we were back in England now, and she got current year plus 11 back years. Don’t know why or how.
Old Oct 17th 2020, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the info for applying for class 2 voluntary NICs: https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions
Fill out form CF83 and send it (I enclosed supporting documentation) to the address on the form.
If they approve you, you can then send the payment for previous years and arrange to make payments going forwards.
I just sent the payment for the past 11 years of contributions from my Canadian bank account to HMRC using Transferwise.

:-)
Old Oct 17th 2020, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adele
Here's the info for applying for class 2 voluntary NICs: https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions
Fill out form CF83 and send it (I enclosed supporting documentation) to the address on the form.
If they approve you, you can then send the payment for previous years and arrange to make payments going forwards.
I just sent the payment for the past 11 years of contributions from my Canadian bank account to HMRC using Transferwise.

:-)
Lovely thanks!!
Old Oct 19th 2020, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by circusplaza
Bothering you guys again here... let's see if I can close the topic and call on Monday and apologies as this has nothing to do with USA.

I have worked in the EU (continent) a few years before working in the UK, so I do have like 3-4 years in a EU county... do you guys know if there is a way to pass them to the UK fund? is it at all possible?
Just thinking I will lose them if not,I do not think I am entitled by any pension there...
Just to clarify in case someone was interested in anything like that. The years worked in the EU (as of now, pre-Brexit scenario) add in to your total number of years worked towards retirement. However, the years cannot be transferred to HRMC/ NI side and will remain in the EU country you worked and paid taxes. The elegibility for pension in the EU country you exercised your activity will depend on the specific country regulations, and if you are entitled to get a pension (you paid the min years to their system), the country will pay you that in a separate payment from the UK pension.
In summary, I cannot transfer my NI years to an EU country or vice versa to have one single pension... (it makes sense). Just some reading over the weekend helped me to understand this.

Happy week to everyone

Last edited by circusplaza; Oct 19th 2020 at 3:55 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2020, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Best deal that I ever had. God bless Lloyd George who introduced National insurance !