Reload this Page >

Cashing UK checks in USA?

Cashing UK checks in USA?

Old Jun 22nd 2004, 1:49 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default Cashing UK checks in USA?

Hi everyone,

About 3 weeks ago I went into my Inland Revenue with my P45 and notified them I would be leaving the UK indefinately. They then told me I was entitled to a tax refund, which was a bonus.

The lady told me they could issue a check in U.S. dollars that could be cashed over here. Well turns out this is not the case, I recieved the check today in Sterling/Pounds not in Dollars. From the Inland Revenue.

What i'm wondering is has anyone here ever cashed a UK check in the U.S.A? If so who offers this service?

I'm hoping this will be possible.... but the more I think about it the more I think this is going to be another drama to deal with!

James
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 2:50 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I've cashed one. Most banks will but be prepared for a very long wait before it clears, and no favours on the exchange rate.
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 3:01 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cashing UK checks in USA?

Originally posted by mcjimbo
Hi everyone,

About 3 weeks ago I went into my Inland Revenue with my P45 and notified them I would be leaving the UK indefinately. They then told me I was entitled to a tax refund, which was a bonus.

The lady told me they could issue a check in U.S. dollars that could be cashed over here. Well turns out this is not the case, I recieved the check today in Sterling/Pounds not in Dollars. From the Inland Revenue.

What i'm wondering is has anyone here ever cashed a UK check in the U.S.A? If so who offers this service?

I'm hoping this will be possible.... but the more I think about it the more I think this is going to be another drama to deal with!

James
My sister sent me a cheque once (for kids birthday) I couldn't cash it so she gave them Amazon.com money instead.

I don't know how this will help at all... sorry!
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 3:04 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by sibsie
I've cashed one. Most banks will but be prepared for a very long wait before it clears, and no favours on the exchange rate.
Sibsie,

Thanks a lot, which U.S. bank was it? A chain? or a community bank? Figure I should just go to the same branch that cashed yours.

Cheers

James
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 3:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cashing UK checks in USA?

Just sign it over to a family member back in the UK and send it to them...or even better have you not got a bank or building account still open over there..
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 4:42 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Any bank over here will do it but it will cost you an awful lot. You are much better off dong what others have suggested - your own bank/building society then transferring the money over or using your debit card to spend it for a while, or asking a family member to cash it for you. Don't know how easy the second one will be without you there if the cheque is crossed?
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Honestly don't bother unless you need the money to eat or someything of equal importance. I would tuck it away somewhere safe and cash when you next go back, or FedEx it home and get someone to put it your account. (Although I don't think FedEx really approve of this) All depends on how much it is.

Welcome to America though, I have read a few of your posts now!
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 5:20 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

britchicknyc, have you checked your PMs?
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 8:01 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by britchicknyc
... I would tuck it away somewhere safe and cash when you next go back, ....
Don't checks have a shelf life, after which they become null and void? When I used to work in Midland Bank back in the 70's it was 12 months, but I don't know what the time limit is these days.

(I think if it does "expire", you can always go back to the payer and request a replacement check, but that's extra hassle you don't need).
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 8:08 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dunroving
Don't checks have a shelf life, after which they become null and void? When I used to work in Midland Bank back in the 70's it was 12 months, but I don't know what the time limit is these days.
(I think if it does "expire", you can always go back to the payer and request a replacement check, but that's extra hassle you don't need).
Six months I believe.. unless its a rebate check ... then it the day before you receive it..
Old Jun 24th 2004, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

This is why I never closed my UK account with Barclays. I've had a few Brit checks come this way, mainly for the wedding. I just shipped them back to the UK for someone in my family to pay it in and then I could either draw on it through BofA because they don't charge any fee's on a barclays account or I just use my debit card as a credit card. Pretty sure I could just transfer the money via xe.com also if I wanted.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pimpbot
This is why I never closed my UK account with Barclays. I've had a few Brit checks come this way, mainly for the wedding. I just shipped them back to the UK for someone in my family to pay it in and then I could either draw on it through BofA because they don't charge any fee's on a barclays account or I just use my debit card as a credit card. Pretty sure I could just transfer the money via xe.com also if I wanted.

Me too....It is a great idea to have a little bit of money in a UK account to use when you go back for trips. Especially given the exchange rate.

Cheques do have a shelf life, but I probably get back to Britain at least 4 times a year....I guess most don't go that often!

That raises an interesting question - how often does everyone go back?
Old Jun 24th 2004, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Pimpbot

Me too....It is a great idea to have a little bit of money in a UK account to use when you go back for trips. Especially given the exchange rate.

Cheques do have a shelf life, but I probably get back to Britain at least 4 times a year....I guess most don't go that often!

Old Jun 24th 2004, 2:45 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

.......That raises an interesting question - how often does everyone go back?
This would be an interesting new thread.

Me, about every 18 months, though since 1983 there have been tmes I didn't go back for 3 years or more. Very hard sometimes.

Having said that, I'm off to the UK on July 5 for 4 weeks - including a 1-week holiday to old haunts in North Wales, and 1 week at the Tour de France. Can't wait!
Old Jun 24th 2004, 11:11 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I left over two years ago and haven't been back.