Banned

ajb1701 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cash & Travellers Cheques for hotels

Originally Posted by dbj1000
A simple Google search would show you that Chip'n'Pin isn't unhackable:

Chip & Pin Hacked

...and that you can even hack the terminals to play Tetris:

"Tamperproof Chip & Pin Terminal hacked to play Tetris
"The "man in the middle attack" essentially tricks the terminal into thinking that the correct pin has been entered while the card is fooled into thinking that the transactionw as authorised with a signature.

Worryingly, the receipt printed out will carry the words "verified by PIN" which means that the financial institution (the bank or card issuer) will say that the transaction was a valid one.

However, it raises a significant issue for users, as Professor Ross Andersson highlights. Banks could (and have) decline refunds simply on the basis that their PIN has been used so that the onus is on the customer, not the bank.

Read more: http://www.itproportal.com/portal/ne...#ixzz0kwRPGzGu"
I am sure it can be done I have also heard of cases of people hacking into CCTV feeds in stores to get your pin number that way and get someone outside to pick your pocket for your card
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

choppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lisa67
my parents have brought over travellers checks a couple of times in $s and they're a pain in the @rse. Not everyone knows what to do with them..not even a bank clerk, so I wouldn't bother if I were you!
Yep same thing happened to my mum when she came to visit.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajb1701
Any takers? I am real worried about credit card security they don't use Chip and Pin in the states do they. My friends have been and they were never asked for ID with credit cards a couple of them go hit online after the overseas trip. Had murder getting the money back
I was in Vegas last September and was constantly asked for my ID however a business under the user agreement of major credit cards cannot denie a credit based on lack of ID so that maybe why your friend was not asked.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I was in Vegas last September and was constantly asked for my ID however a business under the user agreement of major credit cards cannot denie a credit based on lack of ID so that maybe why your friend was not asked.
Depends. My last retail job, bank who processed our credit cards required us to match the name on the card with a government issued ID if the purchase was over 100.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Depends. My last retail job, bank who processed our credit cards required us to match the name on the card with a government issued ID if the purchase was over 100.
From my understanding it has nothing to do with the bank or company processing the credit card it is to do with the user agreement between the business and the credit card company.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

www.privacyrights.org/ar/Alert-FS15.htm
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
yup, you complain to Visa, the shop gets a nut kicking for breaking T&C's, enough complaints and no more terminal.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
yup, you complain to Visa, the shop gets a nut kicking for breaking T&C's, enough complaints and no more terminal.
In theory but what Visa/MC say and do are 2 different things.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The last time we went to LV was about 5 years ago and almost everywhere we went asked for photo ID when using a CC. I fully support this...it's an extra security precaution against fraud. On my UK CC above my signature I write 'Plse ask for photo ID'...my US CC is a Costco photo ID card.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

In theory but what Visa/MC say and do are 2 different things.
Isn't it being pushed for by Visa and Mastercard because they want it easier for customers to use, as they are the ones covering illegal use... that was the impression I was under anyhow.