British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cash on a Credit card (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cash-credit-card-819802/)

Orangepants Dec 31st 2013 3:24 pm

Cash on a Credit card

I am off to the Dominican Republic on Friday and I just read that credit cards are not widely accepted, cash is king. I will therefore take cash. But if I need to take cash out on a CC when there, if I fund the card before I go, - will it just be the 1.5% charge for the withdrawal or would there be other charges. I cant speak to anyone with a brain cell at my bank (Cayman Islands bank) Thanks.

Guindalf Dec 31st 2013 3:37 pm

Re: Cash on a Credit card

Cash advances usually carry a fee (the 1.5% you mentioned) plus interest at a much higher rate than for purchases.

I am unaware of being able to fund a CC before departure, but if you can, it should cover any other interest charges.

Of course, I am generalizing and can't speak for your specific bank. If you're not leaving until Friday, you have at least today, Thursday and maybe part of Friday to try to contact them and get a definitive answer.

Why not just take the cash out with you? Or at least arrange some traveler's checks?

Also, depending on where in the DR you're going, CCs are widely accepted as it's a tourism-based economy (certainly around San Juan). However, cash is always best for bartering!

Orangepants Dec 31st 2013 3:43 pm

Thanks, I have spoken to them but I can't get a clear answer. I am taking cash but for unexpected emergencies - driving in the DR can be hair raising apparently and medical etc. My OH used to live there as a divemaster 15 years ago so he knows the score. Going to Cabarete on the north coast.
Yes I can fund my card ahead of time. It is no biggie - hopefully wont need to use it. Must go pack :D

Cadenza-93 Dec 31st 2013 4:50 pm

I did something similar in Mexico, I put my CC a few grand into owing me! I was still charged the 1.5% oversees use but no extra interest charges. Which was what I expected, however I discovered that there is an auto-limit on the cash withdrawal on my card in any given month. You might want to check on that one.

Orangepants Dec 31st 2013 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Cadenza-93 (Post 11057381)
I did something similar in Mexico, I put my CC a few grand into owing me! I was still charged the 1.5% oversees use but no extra interest charges. Which was what I expected, however I discovered that there is an auto-limit on the cash withdrawal on my card in any given month. You might want to check on that one.

Thank you! I just called them and increased the daily limit.