Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Casa Grande ARIZONA

Casa Grande ARIZONA

Old Jun 15th 2006, 4:16 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casa Grande ARIZONA

Originally Posted by Partystar
I know I sound like a moaning cow,
If the cap fits.............
Old Jun 15th 2006, 4:26 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
If the cap fits.............
I get a cap?!?

Wixid!
Old Jun 15th 2006, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

We are in a very similar positon to OP, we came to Tucson 2 years ago with kids a similar age, Tucson wasn't our first choice but we've managed and really lifes not bad.

We worked hard to find decent schools and I still do worry about what woiuld happen if we went home but truthfully our youngest is dyslexic and has had more support here than he ever would have recieved in the UK,he's now reading at grade level and much more confident than he was, the older one is very bright and while i'm sure he's not working the hardest he can, he's doing well and i'm sure if we went home he'd be OK.

As for healthcare, anyone who's read my posts knows how I feel and how much better i feel the NHS is but the NHS doesn't look after its staff, it loses a ton of money to bad management and waste which could be directed towards care and caregivers.

My children have had some good opportunities here and while I worry about getting old here I feel its a good experience for them. Our salaries now i'm not tied to the agency that we came with means we can make provision for uni, though i'm sure at least one of them, if not both will gt some kind of scholarship.

As for annual leave which has always been one of my big grips, i've just agreed a contract to work 9 months of the year and it pays well enough to take the other 3 months off, so while there are lots of negatives there are some positives too.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 10:50 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2
We are in a very similar positon to OP, we came to Tucson 2 years ago with kids a similar age, Tucson wasn't our first choice but we've managed and really lifes not bad.

We worked hard to find decent schools and I still do worry about what woiuld happen if we went home but truthfully our youngest is dyslexic and has had more support here than he ever would have recieved in the UK,he's now reading at grade level and much more confident than he was, the older one is very bright and while i'm sure he's not working the hardest he can, he's doing well and i'm sure if we went home he'd be OK.

As for healthcare, anyone who's read my posts knows how I feel and how much better i feel the NHS is but the NHS doesn't look after its staff, it loses a ton of money to bad management and waste which could be directed towards care and caregivers.

My children have had some good opportunities here and while I worry about getting old here I feel its a good experience for them. Our salaries now i'm not tied to the agency that we came with means we can make provision for uni, though i'm sure at least one of them, if not both will gt some kind of scholarship.

As for annual leave which has always been one of my big grips, i've just agreed a contract to work 9 months of the year and it pays well enough to take the other 3 months off, so while there are lots of negatives there are some positives too.
Totally agree, it's rather frustrating too.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

only work 9 months of the year?!?!?!?
couldnt do that in the nhs!
lol
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

oh, unless i was in management
Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:29 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishnurse
dont like guns (if they are pointing at me )
health care is going to be expensive in the uk in the future
will probably miss the greenery
drink driving i hate
the annual leave is a problem but i usually end up working mine here and getting the overtime pay as hubby doesnt have as much as me anyway
crap driving (you should see how the farmers drive their tractors around here lol)
heat and desert ( i could do with sweating off a few hundred pounds)
actually i do worry and have thought a bit about the above but how i see it is that the whole of the usa is not like that (hopefully) so there must be something there for us somewhere
and ive signed the contract so its a bit of tough poop on me really lmao
Not to be the voice of doom or anything but something tells me you're in for a shock.
Treat this as though you were moving to Argentina but could speak Spanish. ie, realise you're moving to a completely foreign country.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:37 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Sarah
Not to be the voice of doom or anything but something tells me you're in for a shock.
Treat this as though you were moving to Argentina but could speak Spanish. ie, realise you're moving to a completely foreign country.

Best of luck.
See that was my problem, I'd been on holiday to the States so many times before we actually moved here, plus I lived in Texas for a little while (when I was a teenager, so had none of the adult responsibility). So in effect, I had all the great benefits of living in England (NHS, salary, annual leave, exchange rate, sick leave etc), but stupidly (with incorrect info from my hubby) thought it would be the same, I couldn't have been more wrong. Living in the US & coming on holiday to the US are worlds apart.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

See that was my problem, I'd been on holiday to the States so many times before we actually moved here, plus I lived in Texas for a little while (when I was a teenager, so had none of the adult responsibility). So in effect, I had all the great benefits of living in England (NHS, salary, annual leave, exchange rate, sick leave etc), but stupidly (with incorrect info from my hubby) thought it would be the same, I couldn't have been more wrong. Living in the US & coming on holiday to the US are worlds apart.
Yes I agree. I had been here on many extended vacations before I moved here. I loved my vacations here. Living in the US is a different matter. It's a whole different mentality.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sarah

Best of luck.
thanks
mind you the 4000 miles between the uk and az sort of gave it away as being not in the uk really lmao
by the way, my spanish is awful, am trying to learn a few phrases
all ive learnt so far is 'is this the way to wallmart'
Old Jun 17th 2006, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they are, but I travelled here almost 30 times on vacation before I moved, and I'm still loving it out here. I understand it's not for everyone and you have some genuine reasons for wanting to leave. But I think a lot of people who move here don't get on with their new lives, they just constantly whine for what they had and wonder why it isn't like that here.
Old Jun 17th 2006, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Yes they are, but I travelled here almost 30 times on vacation before I moved, and I'm still loving it out here. I understand it's not for everyone and you have some genuine reasons for wanting to leave. But I think a lot of people who move here don't get on with their new lives, they just constantly whine for what they had and wonder why it isn't like that here.

Me too we'd travelled here a number of times before moving here, had friends who already lived in the States but it was still very different when it came to live here, there are many things here i'm not happy about but there were many things in the UK I wasn't happy with too.
Like the OP we made a choice to come here, we didn't have to to be with the one we loved or anything and we've worked really hard to build a life here, its not a bad life most days, will we be here forever who knows but I think we would have regretted not trying this life and always wondering whether it was better.