Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cars - Leasing vs. buying used for cash?

Cars - Leasing vs. buying used for cash?

Old Mar 27th 2019, 10:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars - Leasing vs. buying used for cash?

Originally Posted by tht

I thought the registration fee was more like the road tax, but that is only $90 for 2 years and paid to the state via DMV.
https://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=801&q=244526

The “property tax” is in addition to that and is different based on what eachbtown charges:
https://www.fairfieldct.org/content/...012/13463.aspx
That seems reasonable, but our registration fee (in NC) is peanuts, and the property tax more comparable to the amount of the road tax for an average value car. FWIW the personal property tax on my 2003 Accord is now about $25.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 10:47 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Avoid leases. Waste of money.
If it flies, floats or does what a lady does... rent it.

But yes, leases are dumb for most people.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 10:51 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanja87
Wow!! Ok.....

We are looking at an SUV (Ford Explorer or similar - I'd like an Expedition but definitely out of our price range - we need a big car with kids and dogs to ferry around, plus we're into camping etc....) and hubby wants a pickup truck (when in Rome.... ) and we're being quoted $5-600 a month plus down payment, not including servicing, tax, insurance..... Do we need to haggle more?

And sorry, I don't get the thing about being charged property tax on cars??
I don’t understand a lot of things here, but still have to pay them... everyone wants their cut, federal, state, Town etc. And some take even more getting used to.... In my town you either pay $20 a year for a dump sticker (also need for beach parking). And take your trash for a $6 fee (recycling only is free) or your have to pay a private company to provide you a bin and recycling bin and collect weekly, we pay about $10 a week for that service.

If you are living in lower Fairfield county a pickup is not a “when in Rome” most of the ones here all have commercial plates and are used as intended. The most stereotypical car like that here for a non trades person woukd be a soft top Jeep Wrangler. I see a lot of families that have that as a 3rd car for summer. Pickups are not all 4x4 and if the back is empty they don’t handle well in snow.

The Chevy Tahoe is similar to the Ford Expedition, the local dealer here doesn’t not even stock the low end trims, so they really start at closer to $60-$70k. Also once you get up to that size bracket parking won’t be as easy.

Haggling won’t bring things down that much. But do your homework to make sure you don’t overpay.

Old Mar 27th 2019, 10:53 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Expedition is freaking huge.
Get a Suburban or an Excursion.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 10:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
…. Get … an Excursion.
The Excursion went out of production in 2006. Please try to keep up.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 11:19 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Wow!! Ok.....

We are looking at an SUV (Ford Explorer or similar - I'd like an Expedition but definitely out of our price range - we need a big car with kids and dogs to ferry around, plus we're into camping etc....) and hubby wants a pickup truck (when in Rome.... ) and we're being quoted $5-600 a month plus down payment, not including servicing, tax, insurance..... Do we need to haggle more?

And sorry, I don't get the thing about being charged property tax on cars??
You will definitely need all-wheel drive or 4 x 4 in the Fairfield County towns you are looking at. I have a 4 x 4 pickup that I just love to drive, so understand your OH!
Old Mar 27th 2019, 11:49 pm
Peace onion

Stop it with all this "4 x 4" business. It's an SUV or a pickup or a truck. "4 x 4" conjures up Daily Mail readers and their class envy because people drive Land Rovers "who don't need them".
Old Mar 27th 2019, 11:55 pm
Peace onion

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The Excursion went out of production in 2006. Please try to keep up.
What about a Ford Bronco? I love those.

OP, for where you're going to be, I would suggest a PT Cruiser, or the highly capable Pontiac Aztek, or a Honda Emelent.
They're all ideal for dogs and crotch goblins and the occasional visiting relatives. There's also a Chrysler Town and Country.
And pretty much any Buick. Don't believe it when people say they're ugly or just for old people.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
At this point I would like to say that I think you are now discovering why we abandoned NYC and the surrounding area very soon after we arrived in 2001. We headed south and went from paying stoopid money to rent a 500sqft apartment in Westchester County, to buying a 2,800sqft house and five acres, and having more money to spend despite taking a paycut. It's not how much you're paid, it's what you can do with it!
That's lovely but if you're being relocated by an employer you likely don't have the choice of moving to "wonderful" North Carolina
Old Mar 28th 2019, 12:06 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
What about a Ford Bronco? I love those.

OP, for where you're going to be, I would suggest a PT Cruiser, or the highly capable Pontiac Aztek, or a Honda Emelent.
They're all ideal for dogs and crotch goblins and the occasional visiting relatives. There's also a Chrysler Town and Country.
And pretty much any Buick. Don't believe it when people say they're ugly or just for old people.
Did you mean the Toyota FJ Cruiser?

The Bronco is actually coming back in 2020:
https://www.ford.com/suvs/bronco/
Old Mar 28th 2019, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Olly_
That's lovely but if you're being relocated by an employer you likely don't have the choice of moving to "wonderful" North Carolina
Correct. But it provides some context for why there have been discussions on BE about what sort of salary is required to make a posting in the NE/NYC area tolerable, and a few months ago, following some back and forth here on BE, someone decided to turn down an NJ/NYC post paying $200k as he realized that the numbers just didn't stack up. And I would agree with that decision, the cost of living in the NE is just madness, compounded by some off-the-chart property taxes.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all so much for your advice!

I've gone back to the IAS site to compare more prices and it seems there are indeed much cheaper versions for similar sized vehicles to what we were looking at. Of course I am only able to compare the MSRPs they list (which, I have noticed, are nowhere near what they end up quoting you with all the added extras and fees.....) but I would imagine that if the MSRP is, say, $8k less, the final quote should be that much lower too, right?

And we are re-considering also if we need an SUV for me and a pickup for hubby or if we should just get one big car for me to ferry the kids around (and go camping etc) and then get a smaller runaround car for hubby's commute.... Being sensible and all that

@Pulaski Yes, I've noticed the south is a lot more affordable but the job is in NYC and I can't deny that I am rather excited about that. In any case, it will be a massive adventure for us and I'm sure if we're smart and don't go "mad" right from the beginning (such as leasing an SUV and a pickup truck as soon as we arrive ) we should be able to have a pretty decent life up there too
Old Mar 28th 2019, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by tht
Did you mean the Toyota FJ Cruiser?

The Bronco is actually coming back in 2020 ….
No, he's being an @r$e, can't you tell? Nobody in their right mind would have recommended a Pontiac Aztec even when it was in production. It went out of production in 2005.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 10:39 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

GA has a $20 a year registration fee, that's it. You just pay 7% sales tax up front on the vehicle. There are some advantages of living in the south, like no yearly vehicle checks or emissions standards (unless living in ATL Metro)

Last edited by civilservant; Mar 28th 2019 at 10:42 am.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 10:40 am

Thank you all so much for your advice!

I've gone back to the IAS site to compare more prices and it seems there are indeed much cheaper versions for similar sized vehicles to what we were looking at. Of course I am only able to compare the MSRPs they list (which, I have noticed, are nowhere near what they end up quoting you with all the added extras and fees.....) but I would imagine that if the MSRP is, say, $8k less, the final quote should be that much lower too, right?

And we are re-considering also if we need an SUV for me and a pickup for hubby or if we should just get one big car for me to ferry the kids around (and go camping etc) and then get a smaller runaround car for hubby's commute.... Being sensible and all that. ….
The way MSRPs typically work is that a dealer will sell most cars for around 10%-15% less than the MSRP, although this is less true for new or especially desirable models, but if you go the manufacturers web site and "build" a car that comes up with a $40,000 MSRP then typically a dealer would have it listed on his dealer forecourt for around $35,000 …. then of course there would be some fees and taxes on top.

If you have a particular model and spec in mind, and are ordering a car 4-8 weeks ahead, then you should be able to push IAS to customer order a vehicle from the manufacturer - "No, we want that model and spec!" We did exactly that because we had a particular spec and colour in mind, and when IAS said "These are the models and colours we have available, you'd have wait for a silver Mustang GT with alloy wheels and manual transmission." we said "OK!" They told us it would take six weeks, but it was only about four weeks later when our Mustang came direct from the plant at Michigan. …. We still have that Mustang 17 years later!

A few years later we used a similar trick when we bought our truck - the dealers only stocked 4wd models with automatic transmission and the larger 6-7litre engines, which we didn't need and didn't want. After the dealer found that there were no models of the spec we wanted at any dealer in the state or six adjoining states he agreed to custom-order the truck we wanted - and I believe that it is close to unique - leather and AC, but the 5.4l V8 engine, 2wd, and "a stick". What we got was what looked like (at that time) "a $45,000 truck" but only paid around $32,000 for it - my wife's family were very impressed!
…. @Pulaski Yes, I've noticed the south is a lot more affordable but the job is in NYC and I can't deny that I am rather excited about that. In any case, it will be a massive adventure for us and I'm sure if we're smart and don't go "mad" right from the beginning (such as leasing an SUV and a pickup truck as soon as we arrive ) we should be able to have a pretty decent life up there too. ….
I'm sure you'll be fine, so long as you remember you can't afford everything that the American dream promises!

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 28th 2019 at 12:25 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.