British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cars (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cars-725353/)

Hawth0rn Jul 18th 2011 3:22 pm

Cars
 
Hello

Moving to Las Vegas in Sept for 2 years only and Im looking for some advice on cars.

We are looking to buy 2 cars and we dont mind what the look like as long as they get us from A to B at the least cost.

My question is, how hard is it to resell a stick (normal gears) car and what would people recommend we stay clear of.

Is there any problems buying from one state and using/living in another?

I am aware insurance is high, could anyone give advice on that, just anything you think I should know at this point.

I will be looking into the insurance in much more detail later.

Regards
Joanne

avanutria Jul 18th 2011 3:52 pm

Re: Cars
 
You can buy from one state and use/live in another. Depending on the length and permanency of your stay in the other state you may have to re-register the car in the other state. If you're bringing it immediately to the state of residence I don't know if you would also need to register it in the state of purchase or not.

Sticks are okay but you will be limiting your pool of possible buyers to people who can drive sticks. May or may not be a problem depending on your area and the car.

Nutmegger Jul 18th 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Cars
 

Originally Posted by Hawth0rn (Post 9502723)
Hello

My question is, how hard is it to resell a stick (normal gears) car and what would people recommend we stay clear of.

I am currently in the market for a stick shift auto, and it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. I think the dealership jumped up and down with glee when I came along and took my last vehicle off their hands. If a quick sale is a consideration, buy automatic.

Bob Jul 18th 2011 5:13 pm

Re: Cars
 
I wouldn't bother with a manual...they tend to cost more and they're much more harder to flog.

No problem buying in one state and using it in another, just more hassle sorting out the tax and registering it, but again, some dealers might be able to help there, some others wont'.

Something that holds value well and easy to sell would be a Honda Accord, Mazda 6 and Toyota Corolla and they get decent mileage and costs.

As for insurance, don't know what'll help in that state, but as many safety features as possible in the car will help, as well as having rental/house insurance through the same company.

Bob Jul 18th 2011 5:15 pm

Re: Cars
 

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 9502850)
I am currently in the market for a stick shift auto, and it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. I think the dealership jumped up and down with glee when I came along and took my last vehicle off their hands. If a quick sale is a consideration, buy automatic.

Mazda is about the only car I've consistently seen in a manual around where I'm at...also the odd Honda.

Nutmegger Jul 18th 2011 5:18 pm

Re: Cars
 

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9502931)
Mazda is about the only car I've consistently seen in a manual around where I'm at...also the odd Honda.

A friend who works in the auto industry told me that only a minuscule percentage of vehicles are even being made with a stick these days. I'd like a used version of the truck I currently have, but everything that seems in any way reasonable is automatic.

S Folinsky Jul 18th 2011 7:35 pm

Re: Cars
 
On getting an automatic transmission, do note that certain Mazdas and the early MINIs came with a CVT transmission that were quite problematical. I know that MINI has dropped the little bugger. Avoid them. [My niece has an Audi A4 and its CVT is fine. One daughter has a MINI and my blood pressure precludes discussion of the CVT].

Sticks are quite rare these days in the US. Ten years back, Lincoln came out the "LS" sedan and they offered a manual Gertag transmission. So few were sold that Ford discontinued the option within a year.

BTW, I just returned from a trip to Central America and had rented a manual transmission. Although I have not owned a stick since 1997, the skill came back quite quickly. In fact, when I came home, I would go to press the clutch when starting the vehicle.

Essexgirl23 Jul 18th 2011 10:13 pm

Re: Cars
 

Originally Posted by Hawth0rn (Post 9502723)
Hello

Moving to Las Vegas in Sept for 2 years only and Im looking for some advice on cars.

We are looking to buy 2 cars and we dont mind what the look like as long as they get us from A to B at the least cost.

My question is, how hard is it to resell a stick (normal gears) car and what would people recommend we stay clear of.

Is there any problems buying from one state and using/living in another?

I am aware insurance is high, could anyone give advice on that, just anything you think I should know at this point.

I will be looking into the insurance in much more detail later.

Regards
Joanne

I'm not sure if you are planning to buy these cars outright but just in case you are thinking about getting finance be aware that your UK credit score does not transfer here. I had a great score back home having had a mortgage etc but when I got here I couldn't even open a store card!!


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:11 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.