Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Carrying Foods Back from Blighty

Carrying Foods Back from Blighty

Old Dec 30th 2003, 3:25 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Carrying Foods Back from Blighty

I thought I'd share with you my experience yesterday flying from Gatwick to RDU (Raleigh Durham "International" Airport, NC).

Between my spouse and myself we'd amassed the following foods in our nine days in the UK that we transported with us back to the US:

9 boxes X 160 bags of Sainsburys 'Gold Label' tea
4 jars of fish paste
1 roll of choc digestives (the big size)
6 boxes of soup (36 sachets total)
4 boxes of chocs (varying sizes)
1 large Marmite (3rd biggest size available)
1 med. Colemans mustard
4 packets of sweet snack bars
1 family size tin of McVities biscuits

We declared all this on the US customs form as varying types of food.

What happened when I got to Customs?

A) The Customs guy at RDU simply took the form and added it to the 2" high pile beside him. He didn't even turn the form over to look at the list of declared foods!

My flight wasn't even full (maybe 80% capacity) so it's crazy, to me at least, to think that Customs didn't even scan both sides of the form before letting me through...

NC Penguin
Old Dec 30th 2003, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Expat_Wannabe is on a distinguished road

I've had amazing luck with my flights over the past couple of years (ie. post Sept 11th). I've never had anyone sat next to me on an outbound or return flight (to LA) and have been upgraded twice. That being said returning from Thanksgiving in November my United flight did get delayed by 18 hours! But since I'd only paid £150 for the flight (inc taxes) and got put up and fed in the Hilton I wasn't overly bothered! Its easy to see how all the American firms are going into Chapter 11 and British Airways is struggling so much!
Old Dec 30th 2003, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Carrying Foods Back from Blighty

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I thought I'd share with you my experience yesterday flying from Gatwick to RDU (Raleigh Durham "International" Airport, NC).

Between my spouse and myself we'd amassed the following foods in our nine days in the UK that we transported with us back to the US:

4 jars of fish paste
1 roll of choc digestives (the big size)
6 boxes of soup (36 sachets total)
4 boxes of chocs (varying sizes)
1 large Marmite (3rd biggest size available)
1 med. Colemans mustard
4 packets of sweet snack bars
1 family size tin of McVities biscuits

We declared all this on the US customs form as varying types of food.

What happened when I got to Customs?

A) The Customs guy at RDU simply took the form and added it to the 2" high pile beside him. He didn't even turn the form over to look at the list of declared foods!

My flight wasn't even full (maybe 80% capacity) so it's crazy, to me at least, to think that Customs didn't even scan both sides of the form before letting me through...

NC Penguin
My friend came back to Philly last summer from a trip to UK. She brought back with her about $300 worth of chocolate. The customs confiscated it because they said it was made from milk and they were worried about mad cow disease. Yeah right!!!!
Old Dec 30th 2003, 3:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thats good for January...but what about Feb..
Old Dec 31st 2003, 4:50 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of years ago I filled a suitcase with various British foodstuffs including two industrial size containers of HP sauce, they must have been about 2 litres each. I bought the ones that came in plastic - didn't want glass that would break.

When I arrived back in the States at the airport and picked up my suitcases, there was a strange fruity/vinegar kind of smell coming from the food suitcase. Customs paid it absolutely zero attention, I guess the dogs aren't trained for that smell!

I waited until I got back to the car before I opened the suitcase and sure enough, even though it was wrapped in towels, one of the HP sauce containers had split. HP sauce was everywhere!

Luckily, everthing else in the suitcase was still sealed and intact, just needed wiping off. Had to throw the towels away though!
Old Jan 1st 2004, 4:11 am
ScarlettHill

This Crimbo my mum brought:

grapefruit marmalade
paxo stuffing
catering box of chocolate santas
large tin of Quality Street plus refill
vacuum packed cooked chestnuts
bisto gravy granules
Chanel 5 perfume and body lotion - woohoo!

They took her Christmas crackers off her at Manchester airport because of the gunpowder and refused to let her pull out the cracker strips. She told them, At least give them to someone who'll use them rather than chucking them - they were apparently very nice ones. Got an inferior replacement at World Market.

She should be landing back in Manchester in about half an hour.

My 9-year-old niece who came with her wants to live in America when she grows up solely because of Krispy Kreme.

We've had a mad rush holiday and are looking forward to a bit of peace etc. Hope you guys have had a merry crimbo/hannukah/solstice/holiday season and have a great New Year.

OH - stop press - I took my US driving test and passed and have gone native and am drivin' a li'l ole truckie!

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 5:54 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Had my Tescos gravy granules confiscated yesterday because of mad cow disease. How ironic when the disease is over here and not in the UK anymore?
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 6:01 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Had my Tescos gravy granules confiscated yesterday because of mad cow disease. How ironic when the disease is over here and not in the UK anymore?
Yes, that's timely irony. Is there any meat or its derivative an ingredient of the granules, though?

AND anyone who lived in the UK from '95 onwards cannot give blood, according to the American Red Cross, because the person may have contracted CJD.

What about Americans who visit the UK for business or pleasure? Can the US government be sure that they didn't eat any beef in the UK AND they haven't contracted CJD too?

NC Penguin
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 6:02 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Jeez your back already ..only seems a few days ago you was going to chill out ..literally...
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:02 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I know, time flies dosen't it?

I looked at the Bisto gravy granules I have in the cupboard here and there's no mention of beef products but maybe Tesco's (which I had) is different? If not, I'm even more miffed!
Old Jan 10th 2004, 4:04 am
Just Joined

jules1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm confused!

If they confiscate Bisto gravy granules when you come through customs because they are afraid of mad cow disease. Why o why can I buy Bisto gravy granules at Harry's Farmers market? Along with lots of Dairy Milk (way better than Hersheys, even my American hubby agrees), Mars bars, spotted dick, Typhoo tea bags and various other chocolatey treats. They even had Mr Kipling's Cherry Bakewells and mini battenburgs. I could go there and spend a small fortune once a month. Anyway I digress, obviously Bisto gravy is only dangerous if you bring it into the country in your luggage and not at all dangerous if imported by a wholesaler!

Makes you wonder!
Old Jan 10th 2004, 4:07 am
Just Joined

jules1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oops I'm sorry. I just realised that it was Tescos gravy granules not Bisto. My bad. Maybe US customs has a problem with Tescos, next time try Asda because it's part of Walmart and they'll probably let you keep the gravy.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by effi
My friend came back to Philly last summer from a trip to UK. She brought back with her about $300 worth of chocolate. The customs confiscated it because they said it was made from milk and they were worried about mad cow disease. Yeah right!!!!

LOL

Sheet, that is lame, but the ever-increasing security is going to cause problems like this. I don't think you need to declare groceries. It's just food.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 9:27 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally posted by jaytee
LOL

Sheet, that is lame, but the ever-increasing security is going to cause problems like this. I don't think you need to declare groceries. It's just food.
I think on the Customs form you're supposed to declare all items purchased overseas. This includes food.

We forgot (genuinely) to declare cosmetics, underwear, a DVD (Region 2 but we hacked our DVD player to play all regions), and Christmas presents from friends and family.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 10th 2004, 9:46 pm
Ray

Originally posted by jaytee
LOL

As long as is not meat product.. you really should have no great problems..I nearly got savaged by a killer cocker spaniel for having an empty ham sandwich wrapper in my carry on...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.