Reload this Page >

Carry On Luggage heading to USA

Wikiposts

Carry On Luggage heading to USA

Old Jan 10th 2010, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carry On Luggage heading to USA

I am not sure if it works the other way as well, but the mini suitcase carry on's are not allowed on United. I think the total dimensions have to be within 48 inches, a small bag or rucksack.

I doubt if they have increased the baggage allowance to compensate, basic tickets come with one bag.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

NotworkSte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Carry On Luggage heading to USA

Hi,
Is this is relation to the latest security issues or a general policy with United? Reason I ask is that my other half flew back yesterday with Continental and the restrictions from Christmas has been lifted, though the checks in the bags were VERY thorough.

-Stephen
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:22 am
Account Closed

This happened this morning, heading back.

It was not a problem flying to the UK 2 weeks ago so I sort of assumed it was a reaction to Detroit.

We had a spare baggage allowance , so were lucky, the Missus was flying standby so had intended to take it as hand luggage.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boiler
I am not sure if it works the other way as well, but the mini suitcase carry on's are not allowed on United. I think the total dimensions have to be within 48 inches, a small bag or rucksack.

I doubt if they have increased the baggage allowance to compensate, basic tickets come with one bag.
My girlfriend returned to the US on United yesterday - they did increase the baggage allowance to compensate, checking in her carry-on case for free. Not sure how long they'll offer that concession for, though. They changed it because of the 'incident' on Christmas Day.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Who else saw the words Carry On Luggage and thought of Sidney James?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

45 linear inches is pretty standard for international travel and always has been AFAIK. In fact the wheeled bags designated "international" by manufacturers are generally smaller than the regular versions that passengers try to jam into the overhead bins on domestic flights.

I think you ran in to a case of United actually enforcing the normal carry on rules rather than implementing anythin new. I regularly fly United to London and they were usually pretty relaxed about carry-ons, resulting in people taking far too much on board. Sounds like that's no longer the case.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 5:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Carry on you old bag?

This was something new, we did have two searches as well, which was new to me and a friendly pat down. At the United Gates they went through the bag by hand, sort of. May be a reason, do not remember having that done before.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 5:58 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Yep, I thought a really crappy movie was coming our way.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

This happened this morning, heading back.

It was not a problem flying to the UK 2 weeks ago so I sort of assumed it was a reaction to Detroit.

We had a spare baggage allowance , so were lucky, the Missus was flying standby so had intended to take it as hand luggage.
I've found that the screeners are a lot stricter in the UK about carry-on luggage than in the US.

Personally, I'd love to see a ban on those mini suitcase things - not getting at you at all, but some people just plain take the piss (and other peoples space) with carry-on luggage in the US.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:27 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone connected from a US domestic flight to international recently?

I have less than 90 minutes between flights. Should be okay if the incoming flight is on time, but if it's delayed...

What additional security procedures are there if you connect, say, at ORD, going on to LHR?

I have a valid reason for asking!!!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:40 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Anyone connected from a US domestic flight to international recently?

I have less than 90 minutes between flights. Should be okay if the incoming flight is on time, but if it's delayed...

What additional security procedures are there if you connect, say, at ORD, going on to LHR?

I have a valid reason for asking!!!
Yes I just took NW from SFO to Minneapolis then NW to Amsterdam.

But it was the 16th of Dec may of changed the security side of things, my flight arrived on time I had 90 mins also to get the international flight and just got off the domestic and walked to the right gate within mins that was it.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:45 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
............my flight arrived on time I had 90 mins also to get the international flight and just got off the domestic and walked to the right gate within mins that was it.
Yeah that's how it usually works. (I take this route at least twice a year.) But I was wondering whether they've imposed additional security measures at the gate for the LHR flight.

I just want to go home to all the snow and the ice and the chaos
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:50 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

This was something new, we did have two searches as well, which was new to me and a friendly pat down. At the United Gates they went through the bag by hand, sort of. May be a reason, do not remember having that done before.
Exactly how friendly? I may have to pop over to Blighty in a few weeks.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

DMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Elvira
Yeah that's how it usually works. (I take this route at least twice a year.) But I was wondering whether they've imposed additional security measures at the gate for the LHR flight.

I just want to go home to all the snow and the ice and the chaos
I did Tampa to Houston, Houston to Heathrow on 7th Jan. There was no additional security. Delays due to late departure from the UK but that was it. I hear more about additional checks on flights INTO the US rather than out of.