Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Carolinas

Wikiposts

The Carolinas

Old Oct 1st 2011, 2:17 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Carolinas

Originally Posted by wildinvirginia
I'm just across the border in VA (cheaper by far but with all that NC has to offer) and we only receive NC tv ... go figure! Apparently Greensboro is having a massive investment of funds and public services and is one of the highest, if not THE highest employing area in the US at the moment. A lot changes quickly here tho so in the time it takes for you to get here that may change. Obviously not an issue for hubby but very likely you'll be able to get a work permit too so that might be an issue for you. If you like to eat out and shop, Durham, Raleigh and Greensboro have it all - and if you're like me and like a little rural but with cosmopolitan near enough to run to when you need a fix, those areas are good. Durham and Raleigh might be a bit pricier due to being university areas but that's why you have everything you need on your door step.

I've only done the Myrtle Beach SC experience and so can't help there. Think humidity if that's an issue for you - NC is much friendlier on your joints and your hair if you hate it humid but still has a really good climate. Avoid the Outer banks for living if you don't like the idea of evacuating at least once a year lol Altho definitely don't avoid them for visiting .... they're gorgeous if a bit, um over run with rich kid wannabe surf dudes at times of the year I's dtill live there if I could afford to tho - I'd just stick out like a sore thumb.
Great info, thanks
Old Oct 1st 2011, 2:18 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1chumly
We lived near Charlotte in NC for 10 years and really liked it. Five minutes and we were out in the country and I miss that. We moved from Houston so after the flat countryside here and the never-ending heat it was wonderful.. It was so nice to have 4 seasons again. I prefer NC to SC, that is just personal preference and I would not like to live in FL, again, because of the heat. And trust me, you can certainly have too much sun.
Why did you leave?
Old Oct 1st 2011, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Why did you leave?
Went back to the UK for a while, then came back to Houston, not my most favourite place to be simply because of the blasted weather but you go where the job is. I think we are probably here for good now but you never know what the future will bring.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

We live at Lake Wylie, SC which is just over the state line from Charlotte and get the best of both worlds. Property taxes in SC are much lower than NC - we pay less than $2000 per annum for a 4,000sq ft home but we dont have much in the way of services but the schools are good so I hear.
2 hours from the mountains, 3 hours from the beach - and the climate is gorgeous altho I am down in the Caymans at the mo for a month which just cant be beaten..
Old Oct 1st 2011, 7:17 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

We've lived in Lexington SC, near the state capital Columbia, for the past three years. Moved here on an L1 which meant SWMBO had an L2 so she could work if she chose to.

The weather can get pretty hot/humid in the summer. Great schools in the Lex 1 district, friendly neighbourhoods, plenty of watersports on Lake Murray and of course the Gamecocks! Crime is largely centered around the larger metropolitan and entertainment areas.

Mountains are a couple of hours away as is the sea and the main airport (to Gatwick) at Charlotte.

In a nutshell, we love it here
Old Oct 1st 2011, 11:08 pm
The Brit is back

Thanks everyone, loads of great info to mull over and overall quite positive

One thing; are the Carolinas on the bible belt?
Old Oct 1st 2011, 11:20 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Life here does revolve around the church for nearly everyone I know here, but you get used to it, and if you are not a regular church goer you aren't shunned or anything. it's just takes a bit of getting used to if you are not used to it.

Strange thing for me is that I just automatically expect everyone to prayer before they eat, because 99% of people I know here do that. So it feels strange to me when I'm with someone and they don't do it
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone, loads of great info to mull over and overall quite positive

As long as I have been in the US, (more years than I care to think about) all in the south I have been asked maybe a couple of times what church I attended, I just said Church of England and that was the end of it. It's no big deal at all. I have had Jehovah Witnesses knock on the door but I had that in the UK too.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

It is the belt buckle of the Bible belt as my friend says. In SC it is a Republican bastion (we don't have one single Democrat elected to a state-level public office currently). We also have Crazy Eyes Nikki Haley as our governor who is a Tea Party person.

Just yesterday I went with my mother to a cafeteria (I'm recovering from surgery currently) and as we were coming out of the restaurant a man who attended a cardiac rehab class with my mom (not even an acquaintance) was going into the restaurant. I thought he had some coloring books for his grandchildren or something in his hand. I was wrong. He then started asking me about Jesus and I replied that I'm a practicing Methodist and he then proceeded to tell me that I needed some real religion (charismatic christianity apparently) and gave me 4 of the little comic book type things which he called "love stories". I threw them away when I got home. My English husband would have probably cussed him out if he was there, lol!
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

wildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nice

I don't know about NC but here in VA it is!!!!! Every single person I've attempted to befriend or even get into conversation with asks WHAT church do you go to, not do you ... and there follows an invitation not pushy usually, but it's definitely odd in my area not to go lol Even conversations in the Dr's surgery, grocery store ... all end up that way
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Pinky29 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to live in Charleston and often visited upstate - as everyone else has said the religious side is very in your face. It was a breath of fresh air to move up north!
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Married2abrit
We also have Crazy Eyes Nikki Haley as our governor who is a Tea Party person.
Ah yes, she of the "It's a great day in SC. How can I help you?" fame http://www.thestate.com/2011/09/28/1...in-prison.html

She's not adverse to spending public money on European jaunts either http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...an-trip/42198/ Pretty good going for a self-described TP "fiscal manager"

Fortunately I'm out of SC now although FL has an equally crazy TP Governor, Rick Scott whose popularity has fallen faster than hers http://miamiherald.typepad.com/naked...e-country.html
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 7:00 am
The Brit is back

Hmm not sure if I, or hubby, can live with the 'in your face' religious stuff. Each to their own, but it's definately not for me!

With the health insurance bills also I think hubby would have to get a REALLY great job offer for us to move to the states.

I'm not sure if the gorgeous weather is worth it

I think we have pinned our next move down to 2 places: Toronto or England. Job dependent we would consider anywhere else.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 12:02 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Can't say I've found it 'in your face'. Sure, there's a church every 50 yds but it just makes me smile now. If I do get asked "which church do you attend" (and it does happen) I just say I don't and that's about it.

However, they do put some great free shows on, particularly at Christmas time!
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm not sure if I, or hubby, can live with the 'in your face' religious stuff. Each to their own, but it's definately not for me!

With the health insurance bills also I think hubby would have to get a REALLY great job offer for us to move to the states.

I'm not sure if the gorgeous weather is worth it

I think we have pinned our next move down to 2 places: Toronto or England. Job dependent we would consider anywhere else.
Hi,
I live in Charleston, SC. I have only had a couple of times when someone has asked me what church do i go to. As an atheist it is a remarkably easy city to live in, even though there is a definite religious background. I avoid religious discussions which i think many people do.
Where in the Carolinas might you move to?
Feel free to ask any questions you want on living here and i will do my best to reply!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.