Reload this Page >

Career Advice - Medical/Doctor Please

Career Advice - Medical/Doctor Please

Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:54 pm
Banned

messirules is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Career Advice - Medical/Doctor Please

Dear All,

My brother works as a doc in the NHS pretty young but finally the grind has got to him and he wants to up sticks and move to a different country and he is banking on the US.

He has done the USMLE exams and loves it out in the States. He is struggling to cope with NHS politics and relentless demand from the punters there.

Also he has seen doctors in the US making handsome salaries e.g $400k for cardiologist which is like 5 times higher than England.

Just wondered if anyone here got any advice for him as the best way to go about it? I know he will have to do residency etc but are there jobs out there in the US for UK qualified and trained doctors. He is not fussy about location.

Any hints or tips grateful?

Thanks
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Career Advice - Medical/Doctor Please

Have him read this link to see which visa category he might fall under. My guess would be maybe J-1 or H1B.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Rene
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there are doctor based forums, Ozzidoc has mentioned some in the past, so perhaps could find them.

I don't think the politics and the faff will be all that much different in the US, you just have the faff against a different master, the insurance company or the corporation that employs you over the government.

The high salary comes at a cost of high liability insurance.

Speaking of which, and this is a really extreme case but it made me laugh. The missus was chatting to a couple who got really excited about winning a two for one dinner at a "posh" restaurant, which they had never been to as it was too expensive. Turned out to be around $30 a dish, so not that crazy at all. They just couldn't afford it, he's a lawyer bringing in a quarter large while the wife is a surgeon bringing in a half mill.

It's mostly down to the liability insurance for the pair as they have both been sued a few times over their careers....having a couple of leased Porsche's probably doesn't help mind
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Have him read this link to see which visa category he might fall under. My guess would be maybe J-1 or H1B.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Rene

yeah i think he prefers H1B as apparently its a faster route to GC for a brit I think??
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm sure there are doctor based forums, Ozzidoc has mentioned some in the past, so perhaps could find them.

I don't think the politics and the faff will be all that much different in the US, you just have the faff against a different master, the insurance company or the corporation that employs you over the government.

The high salary comes at a cost of high liability insurance.

Speaking of which, and this is a really extreme case but it made me laugh. The missus was chatting to a couple who got really excited about winning a two for one dinner at a "posh" restaurant, which they had never been to as it was too expensive. Turned out to be around $30 a dish, so not that crazy at all. They just couldn't afford it, he's a lawyer bringing in a quarter large while the wife is a surgeon bringing in a half mill.

It's mostly down to the liability insurance for the pair as they have both been sued a few times over their careers....having a couple of leased Porsche's probably doesn't help mind

sounds very extreme if you have incomes around 1million and cant afford 30 bucks in a restaurant got to wonder where the money is going. I dont think malpractice can be that much.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by messirules
yeah i think he prefers H1B as apparently its a faster route to GC for a brit I think??
Only if the employer is willing to sponsor his GC. He should get that in writing, in the employment contract, with a specific date that the employer will file for his GC.

Rene
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:46 pm

sounds very extreme if you have incomes around 1million and cant afford 30 bucks in a restaurant got to wonder where the money is going. I dont think malpractice can be that much.
I believe malpractice insurance CAN be that much.

Rene
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Living in an expensive part of the country with a few kids, a couple in college, doesn't help matters.

It is an extreme example, but just pointing out that focusing on the dollar amount will paint a very wrong impression.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
Living in an expensive part of the country with a few kids, a couple in college, doesn't help matters.

It is an extreme example, but just pointing out that focusing on the dollar amount will paint a very wrong impression.
well Uni in UK is about the same as the US now he is single etc etc so UK is fast catching up costs wise and with such punitive tax in the UK most your income goes to other people so dont think much benefit staying in the NHS tbh
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:57 pm
Banned

Only if the employer is willing to sponsor his GC. He should get that in writing, in the employment contract, with a specific date that the employer will file for his GC.

Rene

from what he says H1 is better as when finish residency can get a job who will likely sponsor a GC as H1 can convert to GC - yes i know likely who knows but anyways

with a J1 he says you have to go home at end residency for 2 years what point in that! hence he wants to avoid if possible.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

well Uni in UK is about the same as the US now he is single etc etc so UK is fast catching up costs wise and with such punitive tax in the UK most your income goes to other people so dont think much benefit staying in the NHS tbh
What? You cannot even begin to compare education costs of a doctor in the US vs UK.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Dear All,

My brother works as a doc in the NHS pretty young but finally the grind has got to him and he wants to up sticks and move to a different country and he is banking on the US.

He has done the USMLE exams and loves it out in the States. He is struggling to cope with NHS politics and relentless demand from the punters there.

Also he has seen doctors in the US making handsome salaries e.g $400k for cardiologist which is like 5 times higher than England.

Just wondered if anyone here got any advice for him as the best way to go about it? I know he will have to do residency etc but are there jobs out there in the US for UK qualified and trained doctors. He is not fussy about location.

Any hints or tips grateful?

Thanks
Must be loads of medical trade journals, Medical group websites, agencies on the web who advertise doctor/physician vacancies.

Would have though they would be the best place to look.

If not fussy about location, then pick somewhere you fancy working and Google Medical Groups in that area.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 9:16 pm

with a J1 he says you have to go home at end residency for 2 years what point in that! hence he wants to avoid if possible.
Only if the J-1 visa has the 2-year home residency requirement attached. Not all of them do. Plus, you can apply for it to be waived.

Rene
Old Apr 10th 2012, 9:21 pm
Banned

Only if the J-1 visa has the 2-year home residency requirement attached. Not all of them do. Plus, you can apply for it to be waived.

Rene
apparently all the j1 for medical residency have that 2 year home thing i guess the j1 research etc dont have that
Old Apr 10th 2012, 10:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

9K per year in the UK is peanuts compared to the costs in the US....and tax costs aren't any different in the US, they just like to make it less obvious, what with medical insurance not actually being called a tax and the like.

Won't be a pauper that's for sure, but you won't suddenly quadruple your doctors salary's take home pay either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.