Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Career Advice - Medical/Doctor Please

Career Advice - Medical/Doctor Please

Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Career Advice - Medical/Doctor Please

Originally Posted by messirules
well the US educated ones should get priority no problems with that I shall mention DNUK but as its a british site maybe wont have much info. on the US I would have thought.
DNUK has info from people who have done it and currently doing it, including those on faculty, so very relevant.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:02 pm
Banned

messirules is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I guess I work on the outskirts of healthcare but am a big consumer of it. Just make sure he understands the demands and expectations of employers, patients, colleagues, insurance companies, regulatory bodies and the government.
Yes he has spent time in the US and from a career point of view much prefers the Healthcare system there. It may not be better from patients point of view.

I'm not sure if you have looked at the NHS recently but it is a nightmare for ppl to work in. A lot of spin, hot air and relentless demand simply because people do not pay direct from their pockets so essentially have little value for it and everyone thinks they own it!

In the States because patients pay something they have some value for it and maybe some respect for the clinician which in the UK is non existent. Its a sad truth that only if you pay for something do you have value for it and because that isnt the case people rip the NHS off right left and centre. As you can see from other threads people asking for large quantities meds etc Also NHS tourism is pretty much widespread. It is not great to work in under such relentless pressure and strain and thats why he wants out. He tells me the A&E departments are full of non emergencies and seeing patient in General Practice in ten mins is a joke and dangerous.

I think even the Tories realise the NHS model is not sustainable hence they are dismantling it piecemeal to a private model.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes he has spent time in the US and from a career point of view much prefers the Healthcare system there. It may not be better from patients point of view.

I'm not sure if you have looked at the NHS recently but it is a nightmare for ppl to work in. A lot of spin, hot air and relentless demand simply because people do not pay direct from their pockets so essentially have little value for it and everyone thinks they own it!

In the States because patients pay something they have some value for it and maybe some respect for the clinician which in the UK is non existent. Its a sad truth that only if you pay for something do you have value for it and because that isnt the case people rip the NHS off right left and centre. As you can see from other threads people asking for large quantities meds etc Also NHS tourism is pretty much widespread. It is not great to work in under such relentless pressure and strain and thats why he wants out. He tells me the A&E departments are full of non emergencies and seeing patient in General Practice in ten mins is a joke and dangerous.

I think even the Tories realise the NHS model is not sustainable hence they are dismantling it piecemeal to a private model.
What a sad day when a doctor is more interested in his career than patient's healthcare.

FYI in a way people in the UK do own the NHS because they pay for it with their taxes. The same applies to your comments about NHS healthcare being free...it is not.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What a sad day when a doctor is more interested in his career than patient's healthcare.

FYI in a way people in the UK do own the NHS because they pay for it with their taxes. The same applies to your comments about NHS healthcare being free...it is not.

I dont think that is very fair at all. End of the day doctors leave the UK to Australia and other places etc for all kinds of reasons.

If he feels he cant provide a good quality of service in the NHS then why should he stay in it? I also dont blame him for wanting to better himself thats why all of us move or do specific things. Dont blame him blame the system that demoralised him so much he had to leave.

A decent number of British docs end up in the states so would you label them with the same brush?

End of the day they want to improve their career and I see no problem in that whatsoever.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think that is very fair at all. End of the day doctors leave the UK to Australia and other places etc for all kinds of reasons.

If he feels he cant provide a good quality of service in the NHS then why should he stay in it? I also dont blame him for wanting to better himself thats why all of us move or do specific things. Dont blame him blame the system that demoralised him so much he had to leave.

A decent number of British docs end up in the states so would you label them with the same brush?

End of the day they want to improve their career and I see no problem in that whatsoever.
You posted 'Yes he has spent time in the US and from a career point of view much prefers the Healthcare system there. It may not be better from patients point of view.' To me that reads for his career he prefers the US system...even if it's not better fromt he patients point of view. Please tell me how I have misread your statement.

As far as your comment about other doctors working in the US. I am not discussing other doctors...but the comments you have made about your brother. I haven't blamed 'the system' as you put it aka NHS...you have.

Reading your posts in this thread and in others you seem to have a somewhat odd idea about the US. Maybe it would be best if your brother registered with BE then he could post for himself rather than you making comments on his behalf.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 12th 2012 at 4:17 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:38 pm
Banned

You posted 'Yes he has spent time in the US and from a career point of view much prefers the Healthcare system there. It may not be better from patients point of view.' To me that reads for his career he prefers the US system...even if it's not better fromt he patients point of view. Please tell me how I have misread your statement.

As far as your comment about other doctors working in the US. I am not discussing other doctors...but the comments you have made about your brother. I haven't blamed 'the system' as you put it aka NHS...you have.

Reading your posts in this thread and in others you seem to have a somewhat odd idea about the US. Maybe it would be best if your brother registered with BE then he could post for himself rather than you making comments on his behalf.

Well apparently career progression is a lot faster in the US and you dont get stuck in non training jobs as can happen in the UK. That is why it is better from a career point of view. When patients have access to care it is top notch but there is an access problem so hence 'it may not be better from a patients point of view' depends who you ask I guess.

However he did an attachment/observing in the States and felt he had more time with the patient and could deliver a higher standard of care then he ever could with the rush job NHS ethos.

End day most people move jobs and countries etc for a better life, pay etc thats why expats are world over. He is no different. He doesnt feel he can deliver a good standard of care in the NHS thats why he wants to leave. Simple as. I'll ask him to join but he aint a forum type person sadly.

No harm for any professional to do whats best for him/her just because you are a doctor is no different I feel.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Well apparently career progression is a lot faster in the US and you dont get stuck in non training jobs as can happen in the UK. That is why it is better from a career point of view. When patients have access to care it is top notch but there is an access problem so hence 'it may not be better from a patients point of view' depends who you ask I guess.

However he did an attachment/observing in the States and felt he had more time with the patient and could deliver a higher standard of care then he ever could with the rush job NHS ethos.

End day most people move jobs and countries etc for a better life, pay etc thats why expats are world over. He is no different. He doesnt feel he can deliver a good standard of care in the NHS thats why he wants to leave. Simple as. I'll ask him to join but he aint a forum type person sadly.

No harm for any professional to do whats best for him/her just because you are a doctor is no different I feel.
You didn't answer my questions...instead you continued with your odd ideas about the US and why people move here.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:56 pm
Banned

You didn't answer my questions...instead you continued with your odd ideas about the US and why people move here.

I dont really want an argument but dont see what I posted that was particularly odd? Also I dont see what questions you are asking?

End day he is just a run of the mill doctor looking to hopefully progress and improve his career in the US just like thousands of other foreign doctors that enter the US system every year.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 6:01 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

The US is a massive country -- I don't know where he "observed," but there will be a vast difference between a big general hospital in Detroit or DC and a cozy little place in some wealthy enclave. Same with private practice -- in the inner city the doctors will be rushing patients in and out, and in the high rent areas they'll have lots of time to give a thorough examination. Until your brother works his way to the top tier, there isn't going to be a lot of difference between practicing in the US and the UK.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 6:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
The US is a massive country -- I don't know where he "observed," but there will be a vast difference between a big general hospital in Detroit or DC and a cozy little place in some wealthy enclave. Same with private practice -- in the inner city the doctors will be rushing patients in and out, and in the high rent areas they'll have lots of time to give a thorough examination. Until your brother works his way to the top tier, there isn't going to be a lot of difference between practicing in the US and the UK.
well he went to a couple of places North Carolina and NYC - Brooklyn also. He loved it to be honest and felt it was breath of fresh air compared to the NHS.

Sure there is variety in the US but I guess thats part of the opportunity that you have the option to set yourself up in those different kind of environments. The UK is a bit one size fits all in the way it does it healthcare.

He doesnt mind going anywhere and working hard but he feels the opportunities are better in the US overall.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

well he went to a couple of places North Carolina and NYC - Brooklyn also. He loved it to be honest and felt it was breath of fresh air compared to the NHS.

Sure there is variety in the US but I guess thats part of the opportunity that you have the option to set yourself up in those different kind of environments. The UK is a bit one size fits all in the way it does it healthcare.

He doesnt mind going anywhere and working hard but he feels the opportunities are better in the US overall.
Well good for him.

I think as Jerseygirl suggests, it would be better if he joined BE and discussed this directly.

We have had at least two trolls with a bee in their bonnet about the NHS on here lately.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 10:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Could equally be speaking about the US there for all the glum on the NHS
Old Apr 12th 2012, 10:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I dont really want an argument but dont see what I posted that was particularly odd? Also I dont see what questions you are asking?

End day he is just a run of the mill doctor looking to hopefully progress and improve his career in the US just like thousands of other foreign doctors that enter the US system every year.
It was your uncle last time who was a doctor wasn't it...now your brother? Wow what clever relatives you have.

BTW does your employer know you are still using taxpayers money and resources to troll internet forums?
Old Apr 12th 2012, 10:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's all down to location.

There are just as many places that offer a shit level of care in the US as there are areas that offer good, bit like the UK that...

And same goes for doctors only having 10 mins to spare during a check up, whilst you've been sitting in the waiting room for a few hours.

Like I said, some areas are great, some aren't, and that is no different to the UK.

The only real difference I can see would instead of dealing with politicians and red tape, it would be dealing with insurance companies and shareholder stakes as well as covering yourself a lot further because of the litigation society and all that liability.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

If you took out the words NHS and UK, that could be written about the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.