Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car situation is driving me crazy :eek:

Car situation is driving me crazy :eek:

Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car situation is driving me crazy :eek:

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
2. Anything American and over 100k miles - give it a pass. In fact, anything over 75k miles. They simple aren't build to last. I know, I know, many will jump on here and say my 1998 Ford Taurus is 100,000 miles and still runs - but lets face it, are you happy with it???? All the knobs are broken, the rust is non-stoppable and the parts are getting harder to find.
Lincoln Towncars go for several hundred thousand before dying.

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
You need to talk to the Tappit (?sp) brothers at
www.cartalk.com
Love this show!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:42 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
You need to talk to the Tappit (?sp) brothers at
www.cartalk.com
"tappet"

BTW, they went to a fairly good local college in their hometown -- they seem to have inherited the sense of humor prevalent on that campus.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

lazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nice

Thanks for all of this information - very helpful!!

Regarding diesel, I wish I'd known this a couple of weeks ago... I got "upgraded" to a Jeep Liberty from the compact I had ordered (hated every minute of driving it), and the first time I needed to add fuel, I spent ages trying to figure out whether it was diesel or petrol (in my head, bigger means more likely diesel). Eventually I asked the guy in the filling station and he actually laughed at me!! I had no idea that diesel isn't really used here and was worried about wrecking the hire car.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:09 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

VWs surely started all the time (forget diesels, of course, they don't start in cold.)
LOL. Facepalm. That's why you use winterized diesel, and an additive like Power Service which increases the cetane value and takes the fuel down to -40F before it starts to gel.

Diesels rock in the cold. Heck, they rock in the desert too.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:11 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lazza
Thanks for all of this information - very helpful!!

Regarding diesel, I wish I'd known this a couple of weeks ago... I got "upgraded" to a Jeep Liberty from the compact I had ordered (hated every minute of driving it), and the first time I needed to add fuel, I spent ages trying to figure out whether it was diesel or petrol (in my head, bigger means more likely diesel). Eventually I asked the guy in the filling station and he actually laughed at me!! I had no idea that diesel isn't really used here and was worried about wrecking the hire car.
It tells you on the fuel door what kind of fuel to add.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

lazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nice

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
It tells you on the fuel door what kind of fuel to add.
Except that it was brand new - only 200 miles on the clock, and no sticker. I might have been bit silly, but I'm not totally without brains
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Cat Whisperer is on a distinguished road

After owning an expensive Toyota in England, my biggest consideration here was reliablilty and cheap to fix. I chose the Mercury Grand Marquis aka Ford Crown Victoria. The Crown Vics are the choice of most cops in the US and get sold on to taxi firms around 75k - 100k, and then they get turned into taxis and run for another 100k plus.

The Mercury version is popular with the old folk, so they don't get thrashed (is it possible to thrash a Grand Marquis? lol) And due to it's sofa like handling and 0-60 in about 3 days (I'm going to jinx myself) I've never been pulled over yet I happen to like this style of driving, but it's not a good choice if you like performance. I don't know if you can get a bargain due to manufacturing being stopped at the end of the year. And I love the sound of that lovely V8 engine!

Good luck with your choice.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer
The Mercury version is popular with the old folk, so they don't get thrashed (is it possible to thrash a Grand Marquis? lol)
Yes but only in a straight line.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Except that it was brand new - only 200 miles on the clock, and no sticker. I might have been bit silly, but I'm not totally without brains
In that case even more reason why there would have been a sticker inside the fuel door. Also on newer cars the fuel nozzle won't fit in the wrong type of tank.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 30th 2010 at 7:55 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:55 pm
Peace onion

I didn't call you brainless. Much better to ask than risk putting in the wrong juice.

All cars have the stickers, or it will be written on the dashboard. You must have just missed it.

Also, the nozzle is different. A gas nozzle won't fit in a diesel hole.

My brother-in-law put diesel in his gas car... Ouch.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
So, how do the big rig drivers then deal with the cold, hmm? You also realise that people in other countries occasionally drive, say, VW diesels to places where the temperature drops below 50F?
Block heaters... but if you mention them in the Canada forums you'll regret it
Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

2. Anything American and over 100k miles - give it a pass. In fact, anything over 75k miles. They simple aren't build to last. I know, I know, many will jump on here and say my 1998 Ford Taurus is 100,000 miles and still runs - but lets face it, are you happy with it???? All the knobs are broken, the rust is non-stoppable and the parts are getting harder to find.
I'll jump in and say that my 1998 Ford Taurus made it to 120,000 mi before I got rid of it. It became a money pit after 100,000 so I threw in the towel. The first 100,000 were fine, the final 20,000 not so much.

broken controls - check
rust - check
parts getting scarce & expensive - check
Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I didn't call you brainless.
I didn't think you did, I was just joking about there being limits to my silliness!

However, there was no sticker!! If I hadn't traded it in for a smaller car, I could get you photographic evidence! I looked absolutely everywhere. I've rented a lot of cars before, so I thought there should have been something, but really, there wasn't!

Originally Posted by Octang Frye'8887837
Also, the nozzle is different. A gas nozzle won't fit in a diesel hole.
This is definitely information I can use in the future - thanks!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:06 pm
Peace onion

It gets confusing when you go back to Blighty. Green hose is diesel over here. I think it's petrol over there.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone remember who it was who put diesel in a petrol car or vice versa...it was a few years ago?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.