Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car rentals for under 25's

Car rentals for under 25's

Old Jan 17th 2002, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm heading to the US next month for a number of reasons and have looked into hiring a car for the 9 day period that I am there.
Being under 25 (23 years), having a UK passport and a US (Connecticut) driving license all seemed to have hindered me in some way. Whether it be an extortionate amount for young drivers insurance or companies refusing to touch me as I don't have my UK license.
Anybody know of any cheapish companies that help cater for the under 25s? I'll be flying into and out of Boston Logan.
Cheers,
Andy
Old Jan 17th 2002, 8:31 pm
Lee Schwartzberg

I don't think it's legal to hold a Connecticut drivers license if you're not a
resident of Connecticut. That might have been one of the problems. See...they like
your address (where your bills get sent) to be the same as the one printed on your
license. Probably the main problem however, is that you're 23.

Lee

wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 18th 2002, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in CT for a two and a half year period and the DMV said that there was no problem as long as my address where I resided WHEN I was in the US didn't change. All the companies that I contacted didn't ask whether I was presently living at my US address, merely were not interested when I mentioned a US license with a UK passport.
Seems bizarre as surely I'll have had more experience driving on US roads than most people who go on business or pleasure occassionally?
Some companies are willing, but the prices are approxmiantely twice what my flight is costing.
Old Jan 21st 2002, 4:33 pm
Go Iu

Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to rent a car at a reasonable fee when you're
under 25. Last year, my husband and I (both 24 at the time) went through quite an
ordeal trying to rent a car. I finally ended up using my company's account to rent a
car. Avis assumed it was for business and therefore waived the age requirement. They
never actually asked so I never told them that it wasn't for business.

One thing you might try is rental companies near college campuses. When I was in
school, there were a lot of local car rental agencies near campus that rented to 18
and up and they weren't that expensive. If I remember correctly, Budget rents to
under 25 in certain markets, too.

Manda

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>

Old Jan 21st 2002, 4:58 pm
Not The Karl Orff

[usenetquote2]> > I'm heading to the US next month for a number of reasons and have looked into[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > hiring a car for the 9 day period that I am there. Being under 25 (23 years),[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > having a UK passport and a US (Connecticut) driving license all seemed to have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > hindered me in some way. Whether it be an extortionate amount for young drivers[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > insurance or companies refusing to touch me as I don't have my UK license.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Anybody know of any cheapish companies that help cater for the under 25s? I'll be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > flying into and out of Boston Logan. Cheers, Andy[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 21st 2002, 6:17 pm
Timo Saarto

I am now 34, so reality today might be whole new ballgame;

but Alamo rented cars (with small; and I mean small premium) for those between 21-25
years of age, at the time I needed one. You might want to check if they still are
"juveline-friendly"

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:58:15 GMT, Not the Karl Orff <[email protected]> wrote:

>
[usenetquote2]>> > I'm heading to the US next month for a number of reasons and have looked into[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > hiring a car for the 9 day period that I am there. Being under 25 (23 years),[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > having a UK passport and a US (Connecticut) driving license all seemed to have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > hindered me in some way. Whether it be an extortionate amount for young drivers[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > insurance or companies refusing to touch me as I don't have my UK license.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > Anybody know of any cheapish companies that help cater for the under 25s? I'll[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > be flying into and out of Boston Logan. Cheers, Andy[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > --[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]