Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Rental USA

Car Rental USA

Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Car Rental USA

HI
My GF and I are going to the US (New York) in Feb.

We have booked a rental car for the second week of our trip.
Are we ok with our Queensland licenses, or do we need anything by way of international driving permits?

Thanks
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Rental USA

You're all set.

You only need the IDP if your license isn't in English.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:45 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Just a random observation--the rental rates at the NYC airports and downtown are some of the highest I've seen in the USA. You might want to rent from somewhere outside of the city by taking a train to Albany or something and renting there. Worth shopping around, especially if you are going to have a car from >1 week.

Most car rentals allow you to rent at one airport and drop off at a different airport without a fee. Worth investigating.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post
Just a random observation--the rental rates at the NYC airports and downtown are some of the highest I've seen in the USA. You might want to rent from somewhere outside of the city by taking a train to Albany or something and renting there. Worth shopping around, especially if you are going to have a car from >1 week.

Most car rentals allow you to rent at one airport and drop off at a different airport without a fee. Worth investigating.
Thanks for the replies.

We are picking up in NY midtown and dropping back at JFK without any transfer costs, saving at least one Airport transfer.

I didnt think the rental car price was cheap, but not a rip off either, just over $60 per day
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Just make sure that the rental price included insurance, otherwise you're probably looking at close to twice that when you actually pay for it. Rental car quotes from the US sites normally don't include insurance as the regular car policies often cover rentals cars as well.