Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car rental in UK

Car rental in UK

Old May 3rd 2004, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car rental in UK

I'm heading off to Blighty tomorrow for 3 weeks I don't need a car the first week but will be hiring one for the last fortnight- some people tell me its cheaper to book it from this end, others say to wait until I get over there and rent one it'll be a lot cheaper. Does anyone have any advice on this?
Old May 3rd 2004, 4:27 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Most Visa cards will automatically cover the Comp and Collision aspect of hiring a vehicle.
Old May 3rd 2004, 4:51 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car rental in UK

Originally posted by Taffyles
I'm heading off to Blighty tomorrow for 3 weeks I don't need a car the first week but will be hiring one for the last fortnight- some people tell me its cheaper to book it from this end, others say to wait until I get over there and rent one it'll be a lot cheaper. Does anyone have any advice on this?
The 'walk-in' rate is always much higher than by pre-booking! People often get 'hit' at Heathrow and Gatwick by arriving at the counter and pay the highest rates!

Are you in any airline frequent flyer schemes? They often do promotions for car hire (worldwide) especially with Avis and Hertz and they tend to send vouchers with a code number on to quote for getting a better rate. Some places also take AAA membership nos. and offer discounts.

Where are you renting from? Check how much you will be charged for a 'one-way' drop if you're collecting from one place and dropping the car off at the airport. Also, renting from any airport (anywhere in the world, even US domestic airports) always costs more.

I rented a car from Sixt Kenning last year which was quite a lot cheaper than Hertz and got a free upgrade to a larger car. However, it was adjacent to Heathrow Terminal 4 and I was flying from Terminal 3.....although they like all the large rental companies of course provide a free shuttle to and from the terminals I did get a bit lost trying to find the rental depot to return the car as I know the Hertz/Avis locations like the back of my hand, we tend to rent Hertz as my husband has a Gold Card with them - which I use too. (Incidentally the Sixt Kenning place is across the road from Hatton Cross tube station). Any rental company which doesn't have an 'on-site' facility at Heathrow or Gatwick, Manchester etc. will be cheaper - even if they're a mile or two out of the airport perimeter and they transport you to and from the rental depot via minibuses.

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.england-rent-car.com

http://www.bcvr.co.uk

http://www.woods.co.uk

Also look online at the car rental companies own websites as they may have some special offers on eg. Hertz, Avis, National, Budget etc.

Do post back when you have found a good deal! I'll probably need to book a car myself soon!
Old May 3rd 2004, 4:54 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops, typo!

The first link should be:

http://www.england-rental-car.com

You're not going to rent in Scotland or Wales are you?!
Old May 3rd 2004, 5:01 pm

Oh! I forgot to post the link for Sixt Kenning.

Here it is:

http://www.e-sixt.co.uk

I also tried to look up the rental cars operated by the same company which owns Easyjet.....they seem to have sold it (they had those little Smart cars and the Mercedes (small) A-Class cars with bright logos on the side.....all their cars now seem to be operated by Europcar (which is the UK name for National car rental).

Good Luck!
Old May 3rd 2004, 8:40 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles
If you want to collect / drop off at an airport, check out the BAA website and select the airport you require. There are some good deals available at the mo.
Old May 3rd 2004, 9:50 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by DaveC
If you want to collect / drop off at an airport, check out the BAA website and select the airport you require. There are some good deals available at the mo.
try easycar.com, can be done over the web. though you might be required to have a UK credit card.
Old May 4th 2004, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your help.
Englishmum ......Autosource and Alamo, I found to be cheapest- for my travel plans anyway - picking up in one location and dropping off at the airport on my way back. I've booked with autosource. Will let you know, when I get back, what the service was like.
Old May 4th 2004, 5:06 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by manc1976
Most Visa cards will automatically cover the Comp and Collision aspect of hiring a vehicle.
What happened to the Redwings avatar then?