British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Car Rental Insurance in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/car-rental-insurance-uk-439411/)

dinosaur Apr 2nd 2007 6:11 pm

Car Rental Insurance in UK

One of those perennial questions....anyone have any good alternates to the loss/damage waivers, personal accident etc insurance options that car rental companies provide ?

Am going back on a holiday/vacation to the UK in a month or so. For the last few years used American Express to charge for rental, which had an explicit primary rental car coverage. Have dropped my Amex card (couldn't justify its cost when the customer service was crap), so wondered if anyone has found decent independent car rental insurance.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 2nd 2007 6:14 pm

Re: Car Rental Insurance in UK

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 4593227)
One of those perennial questions....anyone have any good alternates to the loss/damage waivers, personal accident etc insurance options that car rental companies provide ?

Am going back on a holiday/vacation to the UK in a month or so. For the last few years used American Express to charge for rental, which had an explicit primary rental car coverage. Have dropped my Amex card (couldn't justify its cost when the customer service was crap), so wondered if anyone has found decent independent car rental insurance.

Why do you want Personal Accident Insurance when renting a car?

penguinsix Apr 2nd 2007 6:16 pm

For like $3 you can add a 'rental car' rider on your US car insurance (assuming you have a car in the US). It pays for itself in about a day of renting a car as all those stupid insurances they offer are really expensive.

Might need to check if it is valid everywher.

The other thing about car hire in the UK is that they often slap a $1,000 deposit/hold on your credit card when you rent. Really annoying.

dinosaur Apr 2nd 2007 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 4593234)
Why do you want Personal Accident Insurance when renting a car?

Sorry, I typically don't - I was just listing off the top of my head the type of things that I get offered when I rent a car. Although that's an interesting refinement of the question....as a US resident, what set of insurance policies should I purchase for the duration of a car rental in the UK ?

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 2nd 2007 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 4593235)
For like $3 you can add a 'rental car' rider on your US car insurance (assuming you have a car in the US). It pays for itself in about a day of renting a car as all those stupid insurances they offer are really expensive.

Might need to check if it is valid everywher.

The other thing about car hire in the UK is that they often slap a $1,000 deposit/hold on your credit card when you rent. Really annoying.

Covers renting a car in the US, not the UK.

And it only gives you the same level of cover as you have on your own vehicle.

Not normally a cost option, but that might vary by State.

I never have bought down, but then I tend not to buy warranties etc.

Big D Apr 2nd 2007 7:19 pm

some of the other credit card companies offer the same as Amex - so might be worth checking.

In the UK the third party bit is covered in the rental by law - so you just add the fully comp bit - and its fairly pricey. Some of the rental companies wont allow you to quote without insurance and bundle in all in so its worth checking.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 2nd 2007 7:24 pm

In the UK the third party bit is covered in the rental by law
Not unless the law has changed in the last couple of years. Companies often use their own insurance rather than 'buy' the rental companies cover.

Unlike the US, most UK Policyholders do not have cover that would include rental cars.

Big D Apr 2nd 2007 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 4593434)
Not unless the law has changed in the last couple of years. Companies often use their own insurance rather than 'buy' the rental companies cover.

Unlike the US, most UK Policyholders do not have cover that would include rental cars.

That is just the fully comp bit - third party is included to ensure that it is in place. Large companies use their own fully comp bit - the only bit you can buy is fully comp. Many large companies self insure anyway rather than pay huge premiums.

I agree - personal car insurance in the UK doesnt cover rental cars unless after an accident (i.e. courtesy car) and then it usually has to be specifically added.

Pamela 1 Apr 2nd 2007 7:36 pm

We have been checking car rental for UK and found that 1car1.com includes VAT and fully comprehensive in its price.

Big D Apr 2nd 2007 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Pamela 1 (Post 4593483)
We have been checking car rental for UK and found that 1car1.com includes VAT and fully comprehensive in its price.

The UK sites tend to include the insurance and VAT in as standard - trying to get them to quote WITHOUT insurance is quite a challenge!! Then of course they try and sell the policy so you dont have to pay the excess if you need to claim....:sneaky:

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 2nd 2007 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Big D (Post 4593471)
That is just the fully comp bit - third party is included to ensure that it is in place. Large companies use their own fully comp bit - the only bit you can buy is fully comp. Many large companies self insure anyway rather than pay huge premiums.

I agree - personal car insurance in the UK doesnt cover rental cars unless after an accident (i.e. courtesy car) and then it usually has to be specifically added.

You can self insure Third Party, actually RTA, as well. The Rental Company needs a copy of your Certificate on file.

But we are moving off subject.

Big D Apr 2nd 2007 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 4593496)
You can self insure Third Party, actually RTA, as well. The Rental Company needs a copy of your Certificate on file.

But we are moving off subject.

self insure means you dont have a policy - large companies cover the risk themselves....well off topic now!:D

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 2nd 2007 7:52 pm

Actually I was refering to a Bond in lieu of Insurance, an option under the RTA.

Self Insurance is actually well on topic, we all do it, sometimes we do not do it knowingly. Policy deductibles being a classic example in this case.

But with Auto Insurance most peoples biggest self insured exposure is above their limits of liability which in the US can be very low, they just do not think about it that way.

Big D Apr 2nd 2007 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 4593540)
Actually I was refering to a Bond in lieu of Insurance, an option under the RTA.

Self Insurance is actually well on topic, we all do it, sometimes we do not do it knowingly. Policy deductibles being a classic example in this case.

But with Auto Insurance most peoples biggest self insured exposure is above their limits of liability which in the US can be very low, they just do not think about it that way.

You are absolutely right - although I always think of that as under insurance, but technically self insurance would be correct. Car insurance is a mine field over here, espcially with default limits being pretty low. We took out an umbrella to increase some of our coverage too. At least its pretty simple in the UK comparitively!

dinosaur Apr 2nd 2007 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Big D (Post 4593411)
some of the other credit card companies offer the same as Amex - so might be worth checking.

I could use my Visa, but reading this, or at least some of the comments, make me a bit undecided about how good the coverage is. Amex had an explicit primary coverage that was billed at $25 per rental, complete with documentation to use at the rental counter, rather than the secondary coverage that Visa seem to provide.

There are also products like this, but it is difficult to judge them.