Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car rental company - DMV driver test - San Diego -California

Car rental company - DMV driver test - San Diego -California

Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car rental company - DMV driver test - San Diego -California

HI,
Does anyone have any reccomendations of a cheap car rental company that I can use for my driving test in San Diego? I'm aiming to hire a car for a week or so to get used to driving here then do my test at the end of the week.

I've tried looking online but it is so frustrating that they don't include liability insurance and collision damage in the quotes too.

Thanks!
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car rental company - DMV driver test - San Diego -California

Are you allowed to take a test in a rental in CA? Not all states allow it.

If you get AAA membership, which is handy not just for cars, you do get a discount with either Hertz or Enterprise, I can't remember who.

I think BJ's also give you a discount.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Are you allowed to take a test in a rental in CA? Not all states allow it.
Yes - rentals are OK in California - but you do need to show proof of insurance for the vehicle that you use for the test and with a rental that usually involves getting a letter from the rental company.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
HI,
Does anyone have any reccomendations of a cheap car rental company that I can use for my driving test in San Diego? I'm aiming to hire a car for a week or so to get used to driving here then do my test at the end of the week.

I've tried looking online but it is so frustrating that they don't include liability insurance and collision damage in the quotes too.

Thanks!
There seems to be a little confusion about the driving test in California for foreigners. The following link from the official DMV site states that foreigners must take the driving test as well as the written test in order to get a drivers license. However due to the fact that it is nearly impossible to book a driving test in the time required by law to take the driving test, several posts in other forums indicate that they as foreigners were issued a temporary drivers license (not a permit) after taking only the written test. Does anyone know what the DMV is currently doing for someone with a foreign license?

http://dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#two500
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

The DMV in CAlifornia are currently getting foriegn drivers to take a written test then issue a full temporary licence. This means I can drive unaccompanied before taking the actual test and yes they allow a rental car for this if you show proof of insurance.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

The DMV in CAlifornia are currently getting foriegn drivers to take a written test then issue a full temporary licence. This means I can drive unaccompanied before taking the actual test and yes they allow a rental car for this if you show proof of insurance.
So you don't need a rental car since you won't be taking the driving test for a while.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

I do need a rental car so I can get a full licence. The temp one doesn't last forever.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I do need a rental car so I can get a full licence. The temp one doesn't last forever.
Are you planning to take the driving test as soon a possible (probably 2 weeks before you can get an appointment) before you purchase a car?
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, that's the plan. Take the test so I have my licence for whenever I need it. Might be a while before we get a car so means we can rent one if need be in the meantime.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, that's the plan. Take the test so I have my licence for whenever I need it. Might be a while before we get a car so means we can rent one if need be in the meantime.
OK, many people get their temporary license, purchase a car, and then take the test to save on car rental costs.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

tilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud of

I did my test in a rental in CA, as said you just need to have a letter from the rental company, be aware though not all let you do this, I used enterprise and it cost about $50 for the day.

I hired it a few hours before, had a drive round and then did the test and took it back, worth the money to save any hassle / worry
Old Jan 17th 2012, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

FinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond repute

I know several of my colleagues have used Enterprise too; personally I bought my own car while still using the temporary license. Remember that you'll need your SSN to get a license, which is practically impossible to do within the ten-day window. Not that anybody seems to much care what license you are driving with (certainly not car rental companies). Buying beer with a foreign license as your ID can be tricky though!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi, thanks for all the advice. Looks like enterprise is the way to go. I'm on a J2 visa so until my EAD comes through I am not elidgable for an SSN but I know that because of my visa type the DMV don't require this.

I've got my written test tomorrow, here's hoping I pass!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

How about doing a Priceline bid and putting in the cheapest amount you can? I've rented cars that way and its usually a lot cheaper than going to the counter or reserving online. They will still ask you if you want insurance when you pick up the car, but you will pre-pay the car for the amount of time you have it.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

HI,

Thanks!

http://www.carrentals.com/crrates.jsp?r=1326824275124

Great rates in SD from $ 12.80 per day Inc taxes etc = $ 26.00
Insurance is $ 11.00 per day if you buy it online $ 19.00 if you purchase at the counter, you print out the form that the Ins Co. sends you in your e-mail as proof of insurance. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.