Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Rental across states

Car Rental across states

Old Nov 14th 2012, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Rental across states

I'm taking a trip from MI to MA and back for ThanksGiving - and rather than put a lot of miles on my old Subaru and to get better mileage I'm going to rent a car.

Some of the car rental companies have good 'unlimited mileage' deals but then the small print says you are confined to Michigan, Illinois and a couple of other states and MA is not in the list. If you go out of those states then there is a different charge

Question is, how do they know that I'm driving in MA ?

Seems Hertz dont have any such conditions in their small print and I can get a AAA discount with them, just wondering if/how these other companies enforce these out of state conditions ?
Old Nov 14th 2012, 5:35 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Car Rental across states

I use Avis/budget as they always have true unlimited mileage for me.

I once asked about Enterprise and was told the car's have a locator in them that will let them know, do not know if that is true or not.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Reental across states

If nothing else, your insurance would not be valid if you had an accident in a state you're not approved for.

I like Hertz and prefer them when I rent.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:31 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

We've always used Hertz - they did express surprise when we returned a car with an additional 5k on the clock, but said nothing when we returned one with an extra 9k and there were no penalties either time.....
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

They might have lo-jack type stuff on the cars, which has GPS on it.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:55 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They might have lo-jack type stuff on the cars, which has GPS on it.
Hertz certainly do this in some areas. I know several people who have used the unmade road in Maui to get to Hana, which shaves a good couple of hours off the journey. When they have returned the car they have lost their deposit and told they were tracked using the road.