Car prices

Old Mar 6th 2007, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car prices

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Honda CR-V starts at £18,800 and $21,000

Golf GTI £20,000 and $22,000

BMW 3 series £20,700 and $32,400

Often around 4-5,000 more in dollars than pounds, these are just an example of the range on common vehicles.

Don't know what sales taxes may be added in different parts of the US. Prices are inclusive of VAT.

Upshot being, for most people that equates to a similar cost.

Similar cost? So the golf is half price - and the 3 series you probably arent comparing the same models as they dont do small engined ones over here - it is a considerable difference - and in what way do you think that the exchange rate is largely irrelevant?
Old Mar 6th 2007, 6:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Similar cost? So the golf is half price - and the 3 series you probably arent comparing the same models as they dont do small engined ones over here - it is a considerable difference - and in what way do you think that the exchange rate is largely irrelevant?
well it is ain't it...if your earning $, then you've got to think in terms of dollars, not on holiday mode...
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
well it is ain't it...if your earning $, then you've got to think in terms of dollars, not on holiday mode...
I agree in principle - but that then makes it impossible to compare easily - in my experience salaries are much higher in the US than the UK so you can't use a straight conversion - which means that you cant really compare prices.

Personally motoring costs here in the US are a lot less than they were in the UK - even more since I moved from Texas (25k miles a year) to NY (peanuts!) But everyone's situation will be different......so we might as well not bother comparing!!
Old Mar 6th 2007, 8:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
I agree in principle - but that then makes it impossible to compare easily - in my experience salaries are much higher in the US than the UK so you can't use a straight conversion - which means that you cant really compare prices.

Personally motoring costs here in the US are a lot less than they were in the UK - even more since I moved from Texas (25k miles a year) to NY (peanuts!) But everyone's situation will be different......so we might as well not bother comparing!!
Too true...because there far more expensive for me over here...but saying that, getting a second hand saab up in maine is way cheaper...not so cheap down here in Mass...probably all balances out in the end though...
Old Mar 8th 2007, 12:44 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
why anyone would buy a Kia escapes me.

for many reasons..but here is one. These are Canadian figures, but the differences would be comparable in the U.S.

MSRP for a 2007 Sedona LX (the base model) $32,000
MSRP for a Toyota Sienna CE (base model virtually identical equip) $31,000

let's look at three year old wholesale values. (it gets even worse the longer you go)

wholesale book value for a 2004 Kia Sedona with 50,000K (31000 miles) $9,900 to $11,900
wholesale book value for a 2004 Sienna with 50,000K $15,400 to $17,300

Kia owners...get ready for the hit at trade in time. The same follows their entire model lineup.
I was not going to bother chipping in yet again on a car price thread, but.....

You are quite correct. If you buy a Kia or a Hyundai you have to keep it for the long haul or you will take a huge hit in depreciation. Trade-in values on these vehicles are awful.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 1:39 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't agree with you here Bob. If the cars were built at the same plant, the cost after exchange rate conversions, shipping, and regulatory crap should be about the same - we clearly get a better deal in the US.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Don't agree with you here Bob. If the cars were built at the same plant, the cost after exchange rate conversions, shipping, and regulatory crap should be about the same - we clearly get a better deal in the US.
Not always made at the same plant - alot of the VWs here are made in Mexico and generally dont have the same reliability as the european ones for example.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

MrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to allMrScotland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Molly Malone
When I was there, I saw lots of used cars for sale. From what I saw, you can buy a small hatchback kind of car (I don't know what brand, or if it even matters) for 500 pounds or even less. This car would have low mileage, no body damage, and be better overall shape than a comparable US car because it is required to have a road-worthiness inspection. ?
For 500 pounds, low mileage, no body damage, I'm guessing the brand would probably be "Matchbox".
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Molly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MrScotland
For 500 pounds, low mileage, no body damage, I'm guessing the brand would probably be "Matchbox".
Ha ha, no, I think it may have been a Ford. Actually I saw quite a few hatchback type cars for sale by owner, and they were all new looking, and all under 1000 pounds, most around 6 or 700. I remember it now because I was so amazed to see the prices.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 2:43 pm

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Malone
Ha ha, no, I think it may have been a Ford. Actually I saw quite a few hatchback type cars for sale by owner, and they were all new looking, and all under 1000 pounds, most around 6 or 700. I remember it now because I was so amazed to see the prices.
You can make (almost) any used car look like new. Depending on the locale there could be no exterior rust. The vehicles in my area tend to stay very rust free unless you live on the beach. That does not mean that they are mechanically sound. Detailers make a good living making cheese look like gold.

If you are buying a vehicle for £500 to £1000 you shsould expect what you get to be less than perfect.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 3:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by TRPardoe

If you are buying a vehicle for £500 to £1000 you shsould expect what you get to be less than perfect.
aye, but they make for a good first car don't they...
Old Mar 9th 2007, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Molly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
Oh definitely. I have a pretty bad driving record (actually I don't drive anymore at all) so I would never pay for a newer car that would inevitably be damaged in the near future.

I wasn't expecting anything perfect by any means. I was just surprised that a car that would definitely cost around $2000 in my hometown cost around 500 pounds in England.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Actually, I do not agree with that sentiment.

A car with a manufacturer's warrantee may often be a better choice for a first time buyer as the only bills they will be saddled with for at least 3 years are the payment and insurance.

Reliability should be a given too, which for a commuting student or someone in a new job can be very important.

They are also more likely to be careful with something new rather than a beater.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

A car with a manufacturer's warrantee may often be a better choice for a first time buyer as the only bills they will be saddled with for at least 3 years are the payment and insurance.

Reliability should be a given too, which for a commuting student or someone in a new job can be very important.

They are also more likely to be careful with something new rather than a beater.
Hmm. Sort of agree?

Reliability is definitely nice. Warrantees are nice too, but what first time buyer (mostly teenagers in the US, I think) can afford a car with a warranty?
My M.O. was always just buy something you can pay cash for, so you don't owe anyone. The beaters don't need full coverage insurance either: the full coverage rates can be almost impossible for an under-25 y/o to afford.

Engine problems are inevitable in any car, just get someone you know who knows about cars to take the test drive with you and hopefully spot any potential problems. Then keep their number on hand for suggestions on good, affordable mechanics. My dad used to be a mechanic so I've been lucky in this respect. He has always helped me choose cars, and then referred me to good mechanics when I had any problems. He says one of the first things you should do when move to a new town is find a good mechanic!
Old Mar 10th 2007, 3:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

And unless they have rich folks to pay for it, they'll have f all chance...plus sod spoon feeding those pillocks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.