Car prices

Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:07 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Car prices

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Economy of scale is a powerful thing.

While you are at it, you might want to look at this site:

kbb.com

Kelly Blue Book, which gives the used car values of cars in different parts of the USA. Good for buying (or planning depreciation).
KBB isn't worth a toss.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
KBB isn't worth a toss.
the only book worth anything is a wholesale book...and they aren't right as often as they should be. We use the Canadian Black Book..and often we disagree with that.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 5:01 am
Just Joined

MartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
Is it common for the same model to be more than double the US price with less features, never having actually bought a car in the UK?
Actually used SUV's in the UK may be cheaper than used SUV's in the USA... on account of gas (petrol) prices being soo high in the UK, that SUV owners are dumping them like crazy ;-)

That's a cue someone in the UK to tell us what the current price of petrol is ;-)
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinF
Actually used SUV's in the UK may be cheaper than used SUV's in the USA... on account of gas (petrol) prices being soo high in the UK, that SUV owners are dumping them like crazy ;-)

That's a cue someone in the UK to tell us what the current price of petrol is ;-)
84.6p per litre... 95 .. 86.2 p.l super......... 88.9p for diesel on average.and no doubt some will have seen that in the south east an additive(silicone) has caused problems with fuel censors and is costing people £1000 to rectify.Who'se going to pay, has not been decided yet?
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

MartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
84.6p per litre... 95 .. 86.2 p.l super......... 88.9p for diesel on average.
OK, so £0.85 per litre, about 4 litres to the gallon, exchange rate of about $2 to the £... er, um... so you're paying the equilivant of about US$6.50 per US gallon?

In Sacramento at the moment, we are paying about US$2.80 per US gallon. And here is one of the more expensive parts of the country.

And, without getting into a pet rant, I just want to point out that (for the average person) how much you pay must pay for petrol directly affects what you think of as fuel-efficient.... which is why a lot of Americans would consider 25 mpg as "good".

and no doubt some will have seen that in the south east an additive(silicone) has caused problems with fuel censors and is costing people £1000 to rectify.Who'se going to pay, has not been decided yet?
ah! that's what that's about.... I read somethign about an motor insurance company letting people claim the costs (of fixing it) back.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 9:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinF
OK, so £0.85 per litre, about 4 litres to the gallon, exchange rate of about $2 to the £... er, um... so you're paying the equilivant of about US$6.50 per US gallon?

In Sacramento at the moment, we are paying about US$2.80 per US gallon. And here is one of the more expensive parts of the country.

US gallon is smaller than a UK gallon...and don't forget, car insurance is more expensive over here, and taxes all add up to about the same...it ain't cheaper running a car in the US, it's about the same.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

I swore I would never do it, but I now have a......mmm, trying to say it...minivan
Kia were having a special on the Sedona, and we paid around $16,000 for it. When I looked on the Kia UK site, the same vehicle was 24,000 quid with a smaller engine, less features etc.
Is it common for the same model to be more than double the US price with less features, never having actually bought a car in the UK?

Your condolences are warmly accepted.
Seemed high to me knowing what we just paid for Mum's new Honda so I checked. Don't know where you're getting your numbers from but the price of the Sedona on the Kia UK site, and you're stupid if you pay that, ranges from 15k to 21k

*shrug*

Having done a lot of price comparison over recent months/years I have come to expect most ordinary cars to be the same or slighty more in dollars than they are in pounds.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:11 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Having done a lot of price comparison over recent months/years I have come to expect most ordinary cars to be the same or slighty more in dollars than they are in pounds.
Such as ??????????
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Molly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud of

This is a tiny bit off subject, but I was thinking that the older used car prices in the UK are WAY cheaper than for comparable cars in the US. This is not taking into account the exchange rate, but rather an individual's own purchasing power. When I was there, I saw lots of used cars for sale. From what I saw, you can buy a small hatchback kind of car (I don't know what brand, or if it even matters) for 500 pounds or even less. This car would have low mileage, no body damage, and be better overall shape than a comparable US car because it is required to have a road-worthiness inspection. In the US, for 500 dollars, you would not get a car that ran down the road. For 1000 dollars, you might get a car with 150,000 miles, minor body damage and/or rust (michigan winters), a window that doesn't roll down, perhaps a burned out taillight, and almost certainly a host of engine problems just waiting to make themselves known. I've paid cash for all my cars, so I know this to be true. lol

So why is this? Does anyone know?
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a glimpse of what Chrysler's 2008 Town & Country will look like;

http://www.chrysler.com/08town_count...P=AFC-Autoshow

Jim.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Malone
This is a tiny bit off subject, but I was thinking that the older used car prices in the UK are WAY cheaper than for comparable cars in the US. This is not taking into account the exchange rate, but rather an individual's own purchasing power. When I was there, I saw lots of used cars for sale. From what I saw, you can buy a small hatchback kind of car (I don't know what brand, or if it even matters) for 500 pounds or even less. This car would have low mileage, no body damage, and be better overall shape than a comparable US car because it is required to have a road-worthiness inspection. In the US, for 500 dollars, you would not get a car that ran down the road. For 1000 dollars, you might get a car with 150,000 miles, minor body damage and/or rust (michigan winters), a window that doesn't roll down, perhaps a burned out taillight, and almost certainly a host of engine problems just waiting to make themselves known. I've paid cash for all my cars, so I know this to be true. lol

Depends on where you live and the market...up in Maine, Saabs are a dime a dozen and you could easily pick up a 3-4 year old Saab 95 with 65K on the clock fully loaded for around $12K for a manual, a couple more for auto...try finding that around here and you'll be laughed at.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Malone

Depends where you are - texas for example where there is no salt the cars tend to fare better body wise etc. For $1000 you can probably pick up the same deal as for 500 quid back in blighty - you just need to look around, cos trust me if you only spend 500 its not going to be trouble free motoring! There is a lot of luck involved!

I dont agree with the view that motoring costs are about the same in both countries - yes insurance is slightly higher but once you get the history this is marginal - most cars are half the price etc. This is considering the FX difference though - granted if you compare to cost of living indexes and god knows what then it probably is the same....and everyone's circumstances are different.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Such as ??????????
Honda CR-V starts at £18,800 and $21,000

Golf GTI £20,000 and $22,000

BMW 3 series £20,700 and $32,400

Often around 4-5,000 more in dollars than pounds, these are just an example of the range on common vehicles.

Don't know what sales taxes may be added in different parts of the US. Prices are inclusive of VAT.

Upshot being, for most people that equates to a similar cost.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Honda CR-V starts at £18,800 and $21,000

Golf GTI £20,000 and $22,000

BMW 3 series £20,700 and $32,400

Often around 4-5,000 more in dollars than pounds, these are just an example of the range on common vehicles.

Don't know what sales taxes may be added in different parts of the US. Prices are inclusive of VAT.

Upshot being, for most people that equates to a similar cost.

Why do you think there is such a difference in price? Have you read anything on this subject?
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Why do you think there is such a difference in price? Have you read anything on this subject?

I looked at prices. Cars do not cost more than twice as much, even considering a 2:1 largely irrelevant exchange rate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.