Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Ownership cost USA v UK

Car Ownership cost USA v UK

Old Nov 8th 2017, 3:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Ownership cost USA v UK

Originally Posted by petepete99
.... Pros
Fuel is around a third of the price (but then slightly offset because Americans drive further typically). ....
Don't expect to save a penny because of cheaper gas - becsuse of how much further you will drive you will likely spend around as much on fuel if you have an equally efficient car as in the UK, and more if you have an SUV or truck which is less fuel efficient.

You may find that many components last a lot longer - the set of tyres on my Accord will clock up 100,000 miles in December. The previous set did 100,000 miles too. We have had the Accord from new and it now has 338,000 miles on it, and although we replaced the engine at 296,000 miles, much of the rest is original, including the clutch and gearbox, shocks and springs, steering rack, radiator, and exhaust system (excl the cat). The prop-shafts were replaced at 325,000 miles. The brake pads were last replaced 256,000 miles ago, though it is a mystery as to why the original brake pads only lasted 80,000 miles.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the MSRP is under $40k believe it or not. I was told that the tax is put on top of the monthly payments, and that in Florida it is only charged on the amount of finance during the lease, and not on the entire MSRP of the vehicle. So (in this case):

36mo x $389 = $14004
$14004 x 6% sales tax =$840
So an extra $25 or something per month for the tax.

My calculations might be a little off, as I likely haven't accounted for some other fees. I have read that Florida is one of the most desirable places to lease a car. Other States like NY and NJ, you are taxed up front.
What is sales tax? That is such a foreign concept for us Oregonians.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
What is sales tax? That is such a foreign concept for us Oregonians.
What's State Income Tax? Us (soon to be) Floridians have never heard of such a thing
Old Nov 8th 2017, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Don't expect to save a penny because of cheaper gas - becsuse of how much further you will drive you will likely spend around as much on fuel if you have an equally efficient car as in the UK, and more if you have an SUV or truck which is less fuel efficient.

You may find that many components last a lot longer - the set of tyres on my Accord will clock up 100,000 miles in December. The previous set did 100,000 miles too. We have had the Accord from new and it now has 338,000 miles on it, and although we replaced the engine at 296,000 miles, much of the rest is original, including the clutch and gearbox, shocks and springs, steering rack, radiator, and exhaust system (excl the cat). The prop-shafts were replaced at 325,000 miles. The brake pads were last replaced 256,000 miles ago, though it is a mystery as to why the original brake pads only lasted 80,000 miles.
I did say "offset slightly". I don't know where people keep getting this idea that loads of Americans drive further. Maybe in Texas where everything is spread out. In Fort Myers where the average commute is 9 miles or something, it certainly beats the 75 mile ONE-WAY commute I used to make from Banbury to Brentford every day!

I wonder why the components last longer. Maybe not affected by chronic dampness from UK weather.

On that note, does extreme humidity affect the longevity of car components?
Old Nov 8th 2017, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Tires only last longer if you drive like a a Miami resident or like to run on stage coach wheels. If you have "grippy" tire they last the same length of time as they do in the UK. My last set of tires lasted around 40k on both my cars. However I do not have snail mode in my driving resume.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/0...do-tires-last/
Old Nov 8th 2017, 3:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Tires only last longer if you drive like a a Miami resident or like to run on stage coach wheels. If you have "grippy" tire they last the same length of time as they do in the UK. My last set of tires lasted around 40k on both my cars. ....
I buy good quality Michelins, that match what we're originally on the car when we bought it new. And I drive faster round the bends than pretty much any car I see, all the time, and that means typically 10-15 over the "recommended" speed limits for bends and interstate cloverleaf ramps. I put my foot on the gas entering bends at the same point that most drivers touch the brakes. Brakes are for whimps, which is why the pads have already lasted 258,000 miles!

And more generally, having put 338,000 miles on our Accord in 15 years, and another 115,000 on my F250, I don't have time for doing any speed less than what I can get away with, pretty much all the time!

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 8th 2017 at 4:07 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 4:03 pm

I did say "offset slightly". I don't know where people keep getting this idea that loads of Americans drive further. ....
Because they do!

It's not necessarily the commute that makes the difference, it's the seven mile round trip to the grocery, the 12 mile round trip to the mall or Walmart, it's the 14 mile round trip to the cinema, ten miles for lunch, 20 miles for dinner, 30 miles to visit friends, 100 miles to visit family, etc., etc., etc..

Driving what would be considered insane distances in the UK can very quickly become normal in the US.

This pattern was true even when we lived in the suburbs of NYC, so it isn't just in Texas, nor NC either.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You may drive further, other do not. We probably do combined mileage on all our vehicles of under 15k miles a year. I could never do 100k on my tires anyway before they reached end of life. I think 6 years is probably a good time to think about changing tires. Why drive , when you can fly?

Tires Expire in Six Years - Tire Safety Group

Last edited by mrken30; Nov 8th 2017 at 4:16 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BenK91
I wouldn't touch a MK3 Focus RS with a shitty stick. They've had tons of engine issues and recalls. I also don't own a staffy and an ASBO so it would feel wrong to get a sporty Ford or Type R
My thoughts as well. Would love an RS3 or M2, but spending enough getting here and putting my daughters through Uni prevents me.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 4:28 pm

You may drive further, other do not. We probably do combined mileage on all our vehicles of under 15k miles a year. I could never do 100k on my tires anyway before they reached end of life. I think 6 years is probably a good time to think about changing tires. ....
Well it only takes us 4 years to do 100,000 miles, so that's OK!

And to your "sticky tyres" point, we only got 40,000 miles from the tyres on our Mustang GT. I couldn't find suitable Goodyears when the time came to replace them, and went with Pirellis despite them not having a great reputation for wear because they will almost certainly age out before they wear out, and they give a superior ride to the Goodyears it was shod with previously.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 8th 2017 at 6:14 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 5:14 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Because they do!

It's not necessarily the commute that makes the difference, it's the seven mile round trip to the grocery, the 12 mile round trip to the mall or Walmart, it's the 14 mile round trip to the cinema, ten miles for lunch, 20 miles for dinner, 30 miles to visit friends, 100 miles to visit family, etc., etc., etc..

Driving what would be considered insane distances in the UK can very quickly become normal in the US.

This pattern was true even when we lived in the suburbs of NYC, so it isn't just in Texas, nor NC either.
I think it does matter where you live. Just off to physiotherapy in a minute a 6 mile round trip. To get there I will drive past all the places you mentioned, stores, cinema, big shopping mall and restaurants. Even going into downtown Portland is only 20 miles return.

Of course there are longer trips. 180 miles return to Corvallis for a Beaver football game, 6 times a year, or 500 miles return to visit Mrs Ls twin sister but both of us drive less miles here than we did in the UK.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
I think it does matter where you live. Just off to physiotherapy in a minute a 6 mile round trip. To get there I will drive past all the places you mentioned, stores, cinema, big shopping mall and restaurants. Even going into downtown Portland is only 20 miles return. ....
Well many of my journeys are in the same direction, and I try to combine as many tasks as I can into one journey, but it is rare that it is possible to combine more than two or three things.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Because they do!

I used to car commute to my job and regularly drove 20k-25k a year (even though I worked at home at least one day a week). Now I also work in SF and can use public transit/walk/bicycle to work. So my mileage is down to < 8k per year, a lot less than I drove in the UK. Of course, to offset that, gas here is the most expensive in the lower 48!
Old Nov 8th 2017, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chins
My thoughts as well. Would love an RS3 or M2, but spending enough getting here and putting my daughters through Uni prevents me.
I had an RS3 sportback in the UK very briefly. Fantastic car.

It is worth noting that the GTI, Golf R and S/RS3 are all the same 2 litre 4pot engine just with a different map. My stage one APR map took my GTI to significantly better figures than a Golf R. I would like an RS7 one day though!
Old Nov 8th 2017, 11:13 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of days ago I saw a guy who lives in our neighbourhood driving a BMW with Munich registration plates on it.

I know that some of the European motor manufacturers (eg. Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo etc.) will sell US spec cars to US residents who go over and inspect the cars over at their European factories. The car manufacturer pays for return flights and a night in an hotel. You then go on a tour of the factory and drive away your new car (can be most places in Europe inc. the UK in most cases) for up to a couple of weeks.

You then fly back to the States and your car is shipped to you free of charge. From what I understand, the car is considered ‘used’ rather than ‘new’ and the import duties are a lot less. I assume the guy in my neighbourhood must have done this with his BMW and would soon be registering the car at our local New Jersey DMV. (Btw; the sea port in Newark is only about 12 miles away, very close to Newark airport).

I think you still purchase these cars via your local dealership but though a special programme (easy to google it eg. BMW European Delivery - BMW USA)

Actually, my Brit friend moved from New Jersey to Switzerland a couple of years ago (when I was still resident in Switzerland) and they moved just around the lake from our place. She decided to import her Toyota RAV4 as it was cheap to ship it....it was nice to see and go out with her in the car with the NJ licence plates on for a few weeks until she re-registered it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.