Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car leasing with no credit history in US?

Car leasing with no credit history in US?

Old May 31st 2012, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Parisangel will become famous soon enough
Default Car leasing with no credit history in US?

Is it even possible? Any experiences? Thanks
Old May 31st 2012, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car leasing with no credit history in US?

Originally Posted by Parisangel
We used these back in 2008 http://www.intlauto.com/
Had no problems and were happy with what we sorted out - you have to get it arranged before you leave the UK though.
Old May 31st 2012, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

donna1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

We used enterprise car sales for a 2 year lease with an option to buy through AIG travel assist who also got us set up with HSBC credit cards within about 4 weeks of arriving in the US without credit history.

AIG helped with our car insurance and renters insurances and have really earned their fee in my opinion. Well worth it!
Old May 31st 2012, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donna1971
We used enterprise car sales for a 2 year lease with an option to buy through AIG travel assist who also got us set up with HSBC credit cards within about 4 weeks of arriving in the US without credit history.

AIG helped with our car insurance and renters insurances and have really earned their fee in my opinion. Well worth it!
+1 for AIG - we did the International Autosource through them as well. We also did the insurance and HSBC credit card - well worth the membership fee.
Old May 31st 2012, 6:06 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by donna1971
+1 from me for AIG as well. We didn't lease with them but they sorted all our insurance.
Old May 31st 2012, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

bilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to behold

We used VW leasing - they only needed a letter from employer ( we were on an L1B)

a quick search should bring up loads of other threads on the subject too..

by the way - where abouts in stafford....( my home town.... ) watched the torch go through yesturday wil home sick eyes.....

A
Old May 31st 2012, 6:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's possible, yes there are plenty of threads on it.

Question really is, why would you want to?
Old May 31st 2012, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes, it's possible, yes there are plenty of threads on it.

Bob's point here is that leasing a car is perhaps the most expensive way to get a car (or not!) in the long run.

We leased a car through AIG from VW, over 2 years. Very happy, they took care of bank, credit card & car insurance & more than paid for their fee!

I wanted a reliable car covered by warranty. I wanted one that was top safety-rated. I wasn't prepared to pay double the monthly payments in order to own a new car - we could only get a lease or loan that was for no longer than the period covered by our visa (L1). I wasn't prepared to take the risk on buying a used car, and as it happens, used cars prices are more expensive here that I expected. We weren't moving out here with $200K in the bank from the sale of a house etc. So leasing was for us the only option that fitted our requirements.

Bob's wider point (I believe) is look at all the options, what you need & want, what your financial situation (including initial & on-going cash flow) will be etc etc.

Good luck!
Old May 31st 2012, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Parisangel
Quite a few threads here about this subject. VW, BMW and Audi have special programs that will allow you to lease a car without any credit established here. I used the VW program: it was quite straightforward and I'd certainly recommend it.
Old May 31st 2012, 9:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
+1
Old May 31st 2012, 10:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider

Bob's wider point (I believe) is look at all the options, what you need & want, what your financial situation (including initial & on-going cash flow) will be etc etc.
Yup.

Lease does make sense for some, those with a definite exit date, those who have a company car expense, those who definitely will drive no where in the car.

You can easily get a highend car that is 1-3 years old that is covered under warranty for the same kind of money as a lease, with the added benefit of a loan to get one will have a positive impact to a credit history.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough

We have just collected two Fords which we ordered through AIG/International Autosource from the UK.
Ford will lease direct to expats if you can provide an employment letter and copy of visa.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Parisangel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bilbos92
We used VW leasing - they only needed a letter from employer ( we were on an L1B)

a quick search should bring up loads of other threads on the subject too..

by the way - where abouts in stafford....( my home town.... ) watched the torch go through yesturday wil home sick eyes.....

A
Aww, my daughter's school had a street party! Ironic to be leaving at a uber patriotic time! We live in Brocton, just outisde Stafford. Thanks for all the great info guys, we're scared but excited!
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yup.

Lease does make sense for some, those with a definite exit date, those who have a company car expense, those who definitely will drive no where in the car.

You can easily get a highend car that is 1-3 years old that is covered under warranty for the same kind of money as a lease, with the added benefit of a loan to get one will have a positive impact to a credit history.
My lease with VW is reported as a loan, does nicely for the credit score.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 4:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
My lease with VW is reported as a loan, does nicely for the credit score.
That's good going...because it usually doesn't, so only late payments appear as dings rather than anything positive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.