British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Car leasing / financing in the U.S. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/car-leasing-financing-u-s-590632/)

expatinus Feb 10th 2009 4:04 pm

Car leasing / financing in the U.S.

I just moved to the U.S., no credit score. Any suggestions to who I should contact regarding leasing or financing a car? I have tried my bank and the dealership and they cannot help me because I don't have a credit score...

fatbrit Feb 10th 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Car leasing / financing in the U.S.

Originally Posted by expatinus (Post 7271426)
I just moved to the U.S., no credit score. Any suggestions to who I should contact regarding leasing or financing a car? I have tried my bank and the dealership and they cannot help me because I don't have a credit score...

Buy an old one for cash (craigslist) and start working on your credit score. Takes a few years to build a healthy score.

Bill_S Mar 18th 2009 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by expatinus (Post 7394537)
I found the company <company name removed> that can lease/finance new or used cars. The can deliver nationwide with interest rates between 7.5% to 9%. They also work with AIG and can facilitate auto insurance to people without U.S. drivers license.

:ohmy:

Read fatbrit's post again.

Bill_S Mar 18th 2009 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by expatinus (Post 7394788)
Yes, but what if you want a really nice car while in the states? I would rather lease the car I want and can afford on a monthly basis, than buy the car I can afford cash. Trust me, it would not be a nice car :-)

I just received a good offer on a brand new Lexus IS 250 from <company name removed> at 7.5% interest rate and just a little over US$ 1000 down.

OK, it's your money. That sounds like a great deal - for the guy who's leasing the car to you. I'd buy an old beater or take the bus before paying 7.5%, but that's just me. I sure don't begrudge anybody wanting to drive a nice car, but as I get older the more careful I am with my money. I'm turning into my father (who bless him, bought a Corolla a few years ago even though he could have paid cash for any Lexus he wanted).
Enjoy your car.

Mummy in the foothills Mar 18th 2009 7:48 pm

Yes, but what if you want a really nice car while in the states? I would rather lease the car I want and can afford on a monthly basis, than buy the car I can afford cash. Trust me, it would not be a nice car :-)

I just received a good offer on a brand new Lexus IS 250 from <company name removed> at 7.5% interest rate and just a little over US$ 1000 down.

Then you must be all show and no knickers :rofl:
I would suggest Craigslist too. you can find really nice (pretty) cars for a lot less. Or got to Car Max and pay cash.

Duncan Roberts Mar 18th 2009 7:52 pm

Is that a lease or a purchase? Sounds like a crap offer either way, unless you missed some details off.

Bob Mar 19th 2009 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by expatinus (Post 7398595)
Dear Duncan Roberts, could you please share with me a better place to get car leasing, I am very interested. Please note that I do not have a U.S. credit score yet, but I am hoping to build this with the lease.

you won't really build one with a lease, you will with a loan on buying a car though...and leases are generally pretty shit.

fatbrit Mar 19th 2009 7:31 pm

Here you go: http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/1080217501.html

Hardly run in at 100k.$4k and you'll probably get at least $2k if you sell it in 18 months. Car's cheaper than the gas and insurance. Why are you trying to kill yourself with a lease?

anotherlimey Mar 19th 2009 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 7398834)

Hardly run in at 100k.$4k and you'll probably get at least $2k if you sell it in 18 months. Car's cheaper than the gas and insurance. Why are you trying to kill yourself with a lease?

and look at those rims...

expatinus Mar 19th 2009 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 7398834)

Fatbrit, now that is funny. A 15 year old pimped car, I am sure that it has only had one owner and been driven by a nice old lady on sunny days. With cars like that I will either spend a fortune on maintenance, trash it af 6 months or end up working on it every weekend.

I will rather pay the extra money and get a factory warranty, as I moved to the U.S. to build on my career not a car.

Thanks Fatbrit, but I am still looking for an alternative to my lease offer from <removed>

fatbrit Mar 19th 2009 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 7398836)
and look at those rims...

It was those that sold it to me.

Bob Mar 19th 2009 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by expatinus (Post 7398800)
Bob, just did some reseach after getting your reply. And it turns out that you actually get more "credit points" by having a car lease than a loan since:

"The reason is that leasing is considered by finance companies to be a higher risk than buying with a loan due to the fact that a down payment is often not required and that the outstanding amount owed on a lease nearly always exceeds the worth of the vehicle for most of the lease term, which is a result of low monthly payments."
From leaseguide.com

I also read another place that you usually have to have a better credit score to obtain a lease than a loan.

I would appreciate if anyone has an alternative to my only real offer so far on a lease through <company name removed>, whom I have found out, work together with Enterprise-Rent-A-Car so that they can deliver nationwide.

Kind of, but getting a lease doesn't jump start your score nor does it build you a credit history that you would get from a loan, and it's the history that is more important to you than the score at this point in time.

Get a half decent car that you can afford and put as much down on the loan as possible on the first payment and then just pay minimums for 6 months and you'll get a better history than with a lease.

fatbrit Mar 19th 2009 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by expatinus (Post 7398873)
Fatbrit, now that is funny. A 15 year old pimped car, I am sure that it has only had one owner and been driven by a nice old lady on sunny days. With cars like that I will either spend a fortune on maintenance, trash it af 6 months or end up working on it every weekend.

I will rather pay the extra money and get a factory warranty, as I moved to the U.S. to build on my career not a car.

Thanks Fatbrit, but I am still looking for an alternative to my lease offer from <company name removed>

You're the one who wanted the bloody Lexus! Here's a sensible buy for you:

Saturn Ion, 34,000 miles, $6k
http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/1070990635.html

Cheap as chips to insure and maintain. You'll lose more than that driving the Lexus out of the showroom.

anotherlimey Mar 19th 2009 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 7399054)
It was those that sold it to me.

They are pimp-tastic.

fatbrit Mar 20th 2009 1:05 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 7399574)
They are pimp-tastic.

I researched to see if they'd fit my Subaru -- but alas, no!