Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car: leasing or buying?

Car: leasing or buying?

Old Oct 18th 2015, 8:26 am
A mind forever voyaging

Galilite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car: leasing or buying?

I am moving to Massachusetts for a few years (likely two or more) on an E-3 visa (sort of like less restrictive H1B for Aussies). This means, however, that once the gig is over, I'll have to get out quick (the terms of the visa say 10 days).

I am not a very outdoorsy guy but I like scenic driving once in a while, and I plan on renting a place about 30 km from work, meaning I'll be driving around 60 km+ every workday (the public transport option is nonexistent), although working from home once in a while is permitted. My wife will be staying at home at first and then might start driving as well.

Would leasing be a preferred option for me, or the distance is too much?
Old Oct 18th 2015, 9:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car: leasing or buying?

If it's a 12,000 mile lease and all you did was drive to/from work, you could get away with not going over, I get just shy of 10,000 a year, but doesn't leave much room for other driving.

Can you pay cash for a slightly used 3-5 year old vehicle, and then just sell it once you have to leave? Might be easier in the end.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 10:13 am
A mind forever voyaging

I can pay cash, although I'd rather avoid dealing with user car dealers.

What happens if I drive over 12,000 mile?

EDIT. Actually, I see that the distance from my preferred location 10 miles. I guess it's easier then.

Last edited by Galilite; Oct 18th 2015 at 10:26 am.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 12:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You can get leases that have more than 12,000 miles per year, I have seen up to 20,000 miles per year, but they get a bit pricy. Leases often have add-on fees at the end too, for external scratches and dings, and internal stains and wear, or for non-OEM tyres, or worn more than 60%. Generally I would not recommend a lease for most people, though they do work for some people.

If you buy a car you can take it to Carmax (large national used car dealer), and they will give you a cash price for it (good for 7 days & 300 miles IIRC), including paying off the balance of the loan secured on it. Other used car dealers often do the same sort of thing. Get the quote a couple of days before you leave, take your wife and luggage to the airport on the day you fly, then drive to the dealer to "cash in" your car and take a taxi/uber to the airport.

Take a look at International Autosource. They're great for buying, not so competitive for leasing, but you can buy on credit terms not usually available to a new immigrant. You must sign the contract and pay the deposit before you arrive in the US. It is also a good way to kick-start your credit building process.

BTW we don't have any Km's in the US. If you want to keep using them you will need to bring your own supply with you.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 18th 2015 at 12:38 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I've used Carmax 3 times for selling cars, both direct to Carmax and for using their quote to get a minimum sales price for selling privately. I have found them very easy to deal with.

I would think that since your stay is likely to be for a few years that buying is worth considering.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Galilite
I can pay cash, although I'd rather avoid dealing with user car dealers.

What happens if I drive over 12,000 mile?

EDIT. Actually, I see that the distance from my preferred location 10 miles. I guess it's easier then.
New car dealers sell used cars as well, and places like Car Max have a decent reputation it seems.

If you go over they generally charge you X amount per mile, that would vary depending on what your contract says, they also love to tack on extra fees at the end of the lease for minor stuff like a scratch or scuff or whatever else they make up.

Works for some people, but not always the best because of the potential fees.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 11:33 pm
A mind forever voyaging

OK, looks like there are lots of options.

Other aspects, which one is better to build one's credit history?
Old Oct 21st 2015, 3:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Where in MA?

Lease in MA, you still pay annual excise tax to the town on the value of the car, just as if you own it.

If you're in a city, lease is less fun as it's inevitable that it'll get dinged during winter.

Lease is an okay option for a second car...not great other wise.

You'll drive loads more than you expect...basically every where.

Carmax is a good option, but not many about in MA.

Higher end cars get the biggest drop in price going second hand than middle of the road cars, where something like a Honda Accord would only be a few grand cheaper.

Factor in the $25 per $1K value of the car as a annual tax to the town, sales tax, $100 odd for the plates, $50 for 2 year registration, title, inspection. $1K per six months as a ball park for insurance.

You'll save most money on insurance for having covered, off street parking at home and work, limited commute distance but you'll be over that threshold, distance away from the NH border, not being in Boston, Worcester, Lowell, Leominster.

A car loan would be better for building credit history and it's easy to get, even if you pay most of it off, just as long as you leave a minimal amount over a 12 month period.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 7:19 am
A mind forever voyaging

Thanks Bob.

Outside of Boston. The work is in Chelmsford, but it's way too out in the bush for our taste so we want to settle somewhere in Woburn or Bedford, midway between Boston and my work, using public transportation to get to Boston and the car elsewhere.

Last edited by Galilite; Oct 22nd 2015 at 7:26 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 2:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Woburn is a shit hole.

Bedford isn't to bad, but rather dull.

So many nicer towns in the area, depending on budget....Stick a pin in Burlington and look at the neighbouring towns from there if you want to be in that area. Lincoln is lovely if you have the budget for it.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

If you buy a car you may be liable to pay use(sales) tax. This is payable on used cars bought privately aswell as from dealers, unlike the UK. For me this was almost 10% extra on top of the car price. It was paid when I went to register the car. Some states have exemptions for hybrids.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 10:13 pm
A mind forever voyaging

Originally Posted by Bob
Woburn is a shit hole. .
Whoah, that's a downer. How so? So far most people said it was OK, low crime, amenities and stuff.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 12:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Galilite
Whoah, that's a downer. How so? So far most people said it was OK, low crime, amenities and stuff.
Horrid part of I-95, really dull, lots of robberies, it's kind of the bank robbing hot spot because of the congestion of I-95 and link roads with all the back roads...it's also the county courthouse, so a lot of weirdo's hanging around for trial from a rather large county.

Basically, if you're looking for sale and dull, Burlington would be your starting point, not far and then work your way out and around. Andover might be more of a haul than you'd like, but it's so much nicer of a town in every aspect. Bedford makes for a good commuter town because of location.

You've got Arglington, which is a fantastic little town, Lexington is also a fantastic little town. Avoid Billerica and Reading. Concord is really lovely if you've got the budget, Lincoln that's been mentioned. The 3 W's are always good if you've the budget, Wayland, Weston and Wellesley.

Going against the grain of Rt3 will help, but it really is a terrible commute on Rt3 and that whole junction onto I-495, as in really horrid and anything from I-93 around there is murder, doubly so in winter.

Westford, west of Chelmsford is very quiet but a really lovely town, along with Harvard...but you don't have the close commuter train link, which is shit by the way. You would be on the commuter link with Concord and those towns, but very limited parking.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 7:39 am
Account Closed

Thanking the stars the politicians havent thought of those sorts of taxes here....luckily local govt cant do that sort of taxation.

Only time we pay tax on cars is when buying one used or new, dealer or private. If you dont damage or have plates stolen its a one time cost when getting your first set. No annual registration really either unless its built into the govt insurance we have to buy in BC.
Insurance can be pricey though if you dont qualify for the max 43% discount which for our 2013 Mazda 2 is 1500\yr est.

Originally Posted by Bob
Where in MA?

Lease in MA, you still pay annual excise tax to the town on the value of the car, just as if you own it.

If you're in a city, lease is less fun as it's inevitable that it'll get dinged during winter.

Lease is an okay option for a second car...not great other wise.

You'll drive loads more than you expect...basically every where.

Carmax is a good option, but not many about in MA.

Higher end cars get the biggest drop in price going second hand than middle of the road cars, where something like a Honda Accord would only be a few grand cheaper.

Factor in the $25 per $1K value of the car as a annual tax to the town, sales tax, $100 odd for the plates, $50 for 2 year registration, title, inspection. $1K per six months as a ball park for insurance.

You'll save most money on insurance for having covered, off street parking at home and work, limited commute distance but you'll be over that threshold, distance away from the NH border, not being in Boston, Worcester, Lowell, Leominster.

A car loan would be better for building credit history and it's easy to get, even if you pay most of it off, just as long as you leave a minimal amount over a 12 month period.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 24th 2015 at 7:42 am.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 2:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Thanking the stars the politicians havent thought of those sorts of taxes here....luckily local govt cant do that sort of taxation.

Only time we pay tax on cars is when buying one used or new, dealer or private. If you dont damage or have plates stolen its a one time cost when getting your first set. No annual registration really either unless its built into the govt insurance we have to buy in BC.
Insurance can be pricey though if you dont qualify for the max 43% discount which for our 2013 Mazda 2 is 1500\yr est.
It does depend on the state. Title I think is around $60? Inspection is $30 annually.

Up in Maine though, plates were about $20 odd and inspection was about $12.

If you wanted a vanity plate, that was only another extra $20 which is why everyone has one. Down in MA, it's something like $100 a year every November to register is, so if you buy the car now and register it, you'll have to register it again in a months time. That goes for all special plates such as getting a trailer or a commercial plate, though the rates are obviously different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.