Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Leasing adivice

Car Leasing adivice

Old Jul 6th 2011, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

flck72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Car Leasing adivice

Considering leasing a car when we move over to NJ in near future rather than buying one.

Is there a reputable good value supplier we can use, and recomendations for a safe/reliable & economical family car?

It will be for general use and do not expect to be using it for commuting.

Thanks.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

RayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud of
Default Re: Car Leasing adivice

If you're moving from the UK I think you may find it tricky to lease. You won't have any kind of credit record and that may count against you.
That's just my view, I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

flck72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, I think I may try and see if HSBC can help out as I here they are quite helpful when relocating.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

We leased through AIG's 'Inbound' programme. Search for AIG on this forum.

We had the lease set up from the UK - no credit history needed, no SSN needed etc etc at the time of signing - they also set up credit card and bank accounts - SSN needed within 90 days, which is easily done.

Our lease car is a VW Tiguan, leased directly from VW but arranged through AIG - our payments and this lease is reported on our credit history.

Happy to answer specific Qs if you have them!

Cheers

HTS
Old Jul 6th 2011, 5:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Look back a few days....you'll see this exact thread question, with ample advice.

Depends how long you intend to stay...most likely better off with a second hand banger, especially in cold winter states like NJ where it'll get battered around by the shit parking and snow ploughs...look for something like a second hand Honda Accord or Civic that's a few years old.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

To Bob's point, the leasing company/agent *may* try & stiff you for a whole bunch of extra charges - I had a lady reverse in to the side of me about 2 weeks ago - nightmare - wouldn't have cared so much if the car was mine vs being leased... the repair done on it is superb, but still...

HTS
Old Jul 7th 2011, 12:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
To Bob's point, the leasing company/agent *may* try & stiff you for a whole bunch of extra charges - I had a lady reverse in to the side of me about 2 weeks ago - nightmare - wouldn't have cared so much if the car was mine vs being leased... the repair done on it is superb, but still...

HTS
It's a lot of hassle they put you through. The in-laws had a lease, badge was fading on the Saab logo and they had to get that replaced before returning it, and a few other bits and pieces, think they had to replace one of the studded tyres as it had lost a few more studs than was allowed, that kind of stupid stuff.

Living in a city though, where there's a lot of snow and massive pot holes, it's only a matter of time before the car gets a light ding or bumper scrape.