British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   car leased in canada, can he bring it with him? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/car-leased-canada-can-he-bring-him-109906/)

teresa Jul 29th 2002 4:38 am

car leased in canada, can he bring it with him?

My fiance leased his car in canada, can he bring it with him, or should he try to sell it before he comes to the US? He haves approximate time left on lease 3yrs.
Thanks,
T.

Rete Jul 29th 2002 1:18 pm

Re: car leased in canada, can he bring it with him?

Originally posted by teresa
My fiance leased his car in canada, can he bring it with him, or should he try to sell it before he comes to the US? He haves approximate time left on lease 3yrs.
Thanks,
T.

Depends entirely upon the leasing company. One person was refused by their company and had to pay the early termination fees in returning the vehicle.

Do you mean sell the lease? You can't sell a car you don't own.

Rete

teresa Jul 29th 2002 1:28 pm

Rene,
Actually you can do that. I use to sell cars and people did that all of the time. You can even trade it in on another, that is what the dealship is doing when you trade it in, the pay off the leasing company. I know it is a loose loose situation, I just didn't know if he could bring it here......but I was hoping someone had some experience with that situation. Oh he will definately end up owing the leasing comany a chunk of money, what ever he decides to do. Any how......I really think it is best that he sells it, if you trade in a car with kilometers you loose big time here in the states.
Thanks for your reply, I will let him figure this one out, we talked and I think he will try to sell it there, I hope he can...... I would hate to think about the $ he is going to loose if he turns it in early......way early. Eeeeeks
T.

Baked Jul 30th 2002 7:30 pm

I moved from BC to Florida with a leased Ford truck. It was a nightmare in Florida -
they wanted me to pay sales tax on the truck (even though I didn't own it!)

Fortunately, I was able to turn in my truck at an Ford dealer in Florida and buy
another truck. I was forced to spend more money but if I was going to have to pay
taxes for a whole truck I wanted to get something for it.

I think the local state regulations are the most restricitve aspect you will have
to deal with. Hopefully, you are moving to Oregon or some state where there is no
sales tax!

You will need to get an emissions letter from the manufacturer and can expect to show
all your paper work at the border.

You should check the following:

Call the Leasing Company Call the vehicle manufacturer Call the actual border
crossing you intend to cross at to see what they require Check the destination state
motor vehicle licensing web site to see what they say.

Good Luck,

Paul

"teresa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > My fiance leased his car in canada, can he bring it with him, or should he try
    > to sell it before he comes to the US? He haves approximate time left on lease
    > 3yrs. Thanks,
    > T.
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Mrtravel Aug 22nd 2002 7:30 am

teresa wrote:
    > My fiance leased his car in canada, can he bring it with him, or should he try
    > to sell it before he comes to the US? He haves approximate time left on lease
    > 3yrs. Thanks,
    > T.

I suspect this is covered in the lease agreement. Perhaps he should read
it. Personally, I would guess the answer is no. However, without seeing the
contract, how would we know?

S Pipher Aug 23rd 2002 12:57 am

Hi, I just moved from Canada to the US in June. Fortunately our lease was up, so we
purchased our vehicle. Your answer is no, he may not bring a leased vehicle into the
US. He needs to contact his leasing company and discuss how to get out of his
agreement with them. Sorry! You also need to contact your manufacturer and get a
letter stating that any vehicle you intend to bring meets the safety and emission
requirements for the US and the state you intend to live. "mrtravel"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > teresa wrote:
    > >
    > > My fiance leased his car in canada, can he bring it with him, or should he try to
    > > sell it before he comes to the US? He haves approximate time left on lease 3yrs.
    > > Thanks,
    > > T.
    > I suspect this is covered in the lease agreement. Perhaps he should read
    > it. Personally, I would guess the answer is no. However, without seeing the
    > contract, how would we know?

Karen Aug 23rd 2002 7:47 pm

I am currently dealing with this issue. I contacted my car company and was told it
does not meet safety regulations because it has no dual airbags or something silly
like that. No way around it either, I have to get rid of my car so I am now in the
search for a new vehicle and even that is an ordeal because any car I look at and am
interested in buying I have to call the manufacturer first to make sure it will
beable to be imported over the border. So I guess the answer to your question is no.

Hope that helps.

Karen