Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Lease when Visas expired and applying for a renewal?

Car Lease when Visas expired and applying for a renewal?

Old Nov 17th 2019, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

daveyboy1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Lease when Visas expired and applying for a renewal?

Hi, I’ve applied for a visa renewal. My current visa has now expired and I don’t seem to be able to get a renewed Drivers License until I hear back and hopefully have my visa extended.

my car lease runs out soon. Does that mean I won’t be able to renew the lease until I hear back about my visa - which seems to be backlogged. So I might have to give the car back and taxi until I have my new visa in place? Or can I take out another car lease without the renewed visa in place yet?

Thanks
Old Nov 17th 2019, 7:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Lease when Visas expired and applying for a renewal?

Have you asked the car leasing agent this question? Seems to me they would know best.

Rene
Old Nov 17th 2019, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveyboy1984
Hi, I’ve applied for a visa renewal. My current visa has now expired and I don’t seem to be able to get a renewed Drivers License until I hear back and hopefully have my visa extended.

my car lease runs out soon. Does that mean I won’t be able to renew the lease until I hear back about my visa - which seems to be backlogged. So I might have to give the car back and taxi until I have my new visa in place? Or can I take out another car lease without the renewed visa in place yet?

Thanks
If your drivers licence is not renewed you cannot drive anyway ??
Old Nov 18th 2019, 11:09 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

As the above has correctly stated, the lease is really irrelevant as you cannot legally drive without a valid license and, by extension, you would be driving without valid insurance either.

I highly suggest you do not try this, as a criminal conviction could jeopardize your visa.

As to the lease - I don't know that they would even check your visa status, but they will absolutely want to see your DL to confirm identity, and that's where the above comes into play.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 2:28 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

In Texas, you can get the driver's license renewed with a pending extension request.
https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLice...ulPresence.pdf
"Applicants for extension of status, change of status, petition for nonimmigrant worker, with a pending I-918 application, or other pending category:
Immigration documentation with an alien number or I-94 number This can include but is not limited to a form I-797 indicating a pending application for an extension of status, change of status, petition for nonimmigrant worker, or other pending category."

check your state's dmv website on verification of lawful presence proof.

I can't remember whether the finance company is interested in how long your visa is valid for. Don't they normally just ask which one it is and want to see your letter of employment and both of these are related to your credit-worthiness and not your immigration status as far as they are concerned. However, personally, I would want to have the visa extension in my sweaty little hands before signing up to a multi-year financial commitment.